Computer network problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer network problems

Having some network issues with my home "work" computer. It used to be my office computer, connected to a domain. I removed it from the domain, but I still seem to have network issues with it. It has ethernet and wireless connections. When only hooked up to the ethernet connection, it wont communicate with the printer(wireless), browsers wont work or work very intermittently, but somehow my Bloomberg software seems to run fine. I have to also connect to the wireless network to get my internet browsers and printers to work. But the it wont stay connected to the wireless network for long periods of time. It seems like every day I have to tell it to connect again. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else. I assume it has something to do with the way it IT guy had it configured to connect to the office network. Any way I can fix it? The computer is right next to the router so I prefer it to be connected via ethernet.

Is the printer wireless only or is it wired as well? Is this a windows computer? If so, connect to both wired and wireless, open a command prompt and run ipconfig /all and copy the contents of the results here or if you don't want to post publicly, feel free to pm them to me and I will see if I see anything funny.
    Ben

Comment

Sounds like you have some VPN s/w installed that's specific to wired, and futzing things up.

wireless, sounds like the signal is maybe weak causing Windows to alternate/lose its persistent connection.
      NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
        Sounds like you have some VPN s/w installed that's specific to wired, and futzing things up.

wireless, sounds like the signal is maybe weak causing Windows to alternate/lose its persistent connection.
        VPN does sound like it may be the issue, when the VPN is connected it may block access to the local network.
        Ben

Comment

Printer is connected wirelessly to the router, Windows computer
          Last edited by BillyBonds; 06-29-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Yep. Your wired NIC is configured for 10.x networks and dns, and I see references to networking tuning suggesting NPV presence .... While your home network is 192.x, non-Vpn

your wired NIC will work fine but it's probably routing everything back via your office (hence no local printer).

I can't say for sure but Bloomberg probably requires the VPN.

NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
              Yep. Your wired NIC is configured for 10.x networks and dns, and I see references to networking tuning suggesting NPV presence .... While your home network is 192.x, non-Vpn

your wired NIC will work fine but it's probably routing everything back via your office (hence no local printer).

I can't say for sure but Bloomberg probably requires the VPN.
              If you translated this to English, would there be a fix in there somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

If you translated this to English, would there be a fix in there somewhere?
                Yes.
                1) Have the VPN removed if you feel you no longer want/need it, you need to understand that it may be required for application like bloomberg - or other business apps you need.
                2) maybe, investigate your wireless environment. While the wireless card could be flakey, its unlikely. More likely your wireless router is just as much to blame. I have seen wireless cards go bad, but its rare.

Comment

What is a VPN and how do I remove it? The wireless works fine, and when I have them both connected, everything works just fine. The computer is only 2 feet from the router anyway. I just prefer to have the computer run on the ethernet as it should. My Bloomberg terminal can connect from anywhere.

Comment

no one here knows how I fix this?

Comment

I dont know if this will help as I am not that computer savvy. I just had the same problem with a cablevision wireless router.It was cutting in and out everyday and had to constantly reboot the modem & router.I finally got fed up and called CV and they troubleshot it over the phone and made the determination that wireless router was bad.Replaced it next day

Comment

thx, but i have multiple other devices that all work no problem. Def not the router

Comment

Look in your installed programs, you might be able to uninstall the VPN software and clear up your issues that way.

Also check your network settings and make sure that both your IP and DNS settings are set to automatic on your wired connection. I notice that DHCP Enabled says No for the wired connection. Being that it was in an office it's possible one or both of those were set manually for some reason.

Comment

If you don't use the computer to connect to Bloomberg anymore and do not need the VPN, you can probably just change the IP settings for the network adapter to DHCP and it will pickup the new 192.168.1.X address from the router.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cp-ip-settings
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
                              If you don't use the computer to connect to Bloomberg anymore and do not need the VPN, you can probably just change the IP settings for the network adapter to DHCP and it will pickup the new 192.168.1.X address from the router.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cp-ip-settings
                              I dont think bloomberg ever needed the VPN. Why does everyone keep saying it?

Comment

Working...
                              X