Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A possibly totally dumb question for the IT people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A possibly totally dumb question for the IT people.

I'm running everything off of Wi-Fi here in NY. I ran some CAT 6 lines to rooms in the new house in TN so certain things are not on Wi-Fi.

My question.

Does a router recognize a certain type of traffic and prioritize it?

Example, when our sons (when both are here) stream movies for one and online game for another, I notice a lag in our computers. They say they have no issues with what they are doing.

So it got me thinking, does it see that one is constant, while the other is more on and off and set the computers to a 'non priority" type of setting?
    The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

They have routers that can prioritize based on application type and even name.
    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

at work the wireless always suffers as the desk tops start running
      Originally posted by Mad Russian;n47464
      BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
      The AR.....wins...????
      Oh God!
      I can't believe I said that!!!
      I'm gonna puke!!!
      BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Comment

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is yes. It's called QoS (Quality of Service) or bandwidth prioritization. Lots of routers have settings that let you go in and give more network bandwidth to clients that need it, like those that are streaming video or playing graphics laden online games.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
          Not a dumb question at all. The answer is yes. It's called QoS (Quality of Service) or bandwidth prioritization. Lots of routers have settings that let you go in and give more network bandwidth to clients that need it, like those that are streaming video or playing graphics laden online games.
          Join date, post count.

You might be my guy, as in, you took the time to respond after being here for 3 years.

Is it possible for you to walk me through, as I am functionally retarded with this, a way to reset this so they are slowed down?

If for no other reason than to fuck with them.

The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

"Nah, ... Dad's functionally retarded. He doesn't have the technical chops to throttle our videos."

No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

Join date, post count.

You might be my guy, as in, you took the time to respond after being here for 3 years.

Is it possible for you to walk me through, as I am functionally retarded with this, a way to reset this so they are slowed down?

Ha...yeah, not a frequent poster but enjoy the site.

Glad to help if I can...need to know what router you have (make and model) so I can figure out if it even supports those setting I mentioned. Not all do...especially older ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
                "Nah, ... Dad's functionally retarded. He doesn't have the technical chops to throttle our videos."

I will not say no, I can type, I can sometimes correct misspellings. other than that, I'm kinda lost.

Comment

Join date, post count.

I just knew that was where you were headed with this. Atta boy! Lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

I just knew that was where you were headed with this. Atta boy! Lmfao
                    Listen, I gotta have my fun.

Comment

Listen, I gotta have my fun.
                      Absolutely, you have to screw with the kids whenever possible, it's one of the developed reasons of why you had them, besides mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, and putting the garbage cans out. Lol

Comment

Depending on how your router is setup. If it is acting as a true router, most modern routers can prioritize traffic and they automatically do that. If it is setup as just a wifi repeater, then it won't be doing that.

Comment

As long as the router has a quality of service feature it will prioritize.

Comment

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Comment

Working...
                            X