Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
    I can assure you, he does not.
    But I do buy 93 non-ethanol for all of my power equipment, and when it sits too long for my liking, it gets poured into the urban assault vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

So you fill your car with 93 octane gasoline?

Look, 350MHz is the speed for Cat5e to satisfy 1000BaseT connections.
      10GBASE-T operates at 800MHz, so your 550MHz rated cable didn't really buy you enough headroom to comfortably operate at the next standard.
      Just buy the Cat6a if you want the headroom (and headaches of connectors).
      Your speedo goes to/above 100, but yet you only go up to 55/65.

All I am saying is, for minimal difference, go with the higher rated cable. It just may save you a headache. Troubleshooting for what ends up being a bad stretch of cable, sucks.

Comment

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/faster-...-not-worth-it/

Can't copy the article itself, but Wall Street Journal did a study only a couple of months ago and determined that for TV, web streaming, etc. most people barely use a small fraction of the speed they have. I have FIOS and find it far more resilient/reliable compared to Altice, but I have 150GB up and down and noticed no difference at all going from 75 to 150. I have a home with a mesh network, Lutron Caseta lighting system controlled by Alexa/Samsung Smartthings and wall mounted tablets on every floor with over 30 wi-fi devices between kids tablets/phones/laptops, Roku, FireTV, Apple TV and mine and wife's own phone/tablet/laptop - no perceptible difference. My wife who skypes all day for work even commented that it is essentially the same. Based upon the article and my experience going from 75mps to 150mps, I'm staying where I'm at.

From the article: “For many people they are not going to see huge differences between 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps and a gigabit per second,” said Nick Feamster, a University of Chicago network-performance expert and part of the research team on the Journal project. Some 61% of U.S. households had speeds of 100 Mbps or higher as of December 2018, according to research firm Kagan.

We found similar results across our 34 testers who ran five, six or seven streams at once. The eight users with speeds 100 Mbps or higher who had seven streams going used only about 7.1 Mbps of capacity, on average.

People who paid for even faster speeds still streamed video at about the same speeds as everyone else, resulting in their using a smaller portion of available bandwidth."

Comment

Working...
        X