Boot Device Inaccessible - Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Device Inaccessible - Windows 10

Both hard drives are 2-4 months old. I did a system restore (to last night) and now everything starts up and works no problem. But what the fuck? Oldest thing in my PC is the GPU and that's only 6-8 months old max. PC was working fine last night, and when I started it this morning it was fine until I started up a program (steam game). Program loaded fine etc., but that's when all of of my USB devices stopped working and I had no internet. When I restarted (since no USB devices were working) I got this error. I did a chkdsk and everything seems to be okay? Anyone know what the deal might be?

I just scanned both my hard drives again once everything was working and there are no errors. I hate windows 10.
    Last edited by sheeple; 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM.
    “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Wow.... glad I didn't jump on the 'free' windows 10 "upgrade". I was just recently reading that it won't let you control when updates are done, and some other things about photos becoming impossible to move off "their" system ("Microsoft now owns your photos" is how it was put in the article)

Does Steam work right after the system restore? Steam just updated a night or two ago too - could it be their update caused you a problem? (I don't use Steam much)

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
      Wow.... glad I didn't jump on the 'free' windows 10 "upgrade". I was just recently reading that it won't let you control when updates are done, and some other things about photos becoming impossible to move off "their" system ("Microsoft now owns your photos" is how it was put in the article)

Does Steam work right after the system restore? Steam just updated a night or two ago too - could it be their update caused you a problem? (I don't use Steam much)
      No clue, but I did a system restore (reinstalled windows 10, and it uninstalled a ton of my apps...had to reinstall GPU drivers, headset drivers, etc.) and restarted without a problem. Something fucked up somewhere, and I have no idea how or why. What irks me is my PC didn't crash, didn't freeze, etc. All the programs were still running no problem, but my internet and all usb devices just got locked out. I don't use my desktop for anything but games, and most of my saves are stored in the cloud, so it's not a huge deal. Everything is new, which pisses me off the most. And my computer has been hard crashing randomly on some games for the past month or so. All temps are normal too. Wonder if Windows 10 didn't do a clean install.
      “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Typical Win 10 bugs. Same happened to my new Win 10 computer. Got the message " no Bootable device available". Did a shutdown by holding the power button. Then started again, and everything was fine. Ran all the diagnostic programs, everything fine. Win 10 is just full of stupid little bugs.
        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
        Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

get what you pay for lol
          let's make america great again

Comment

Just ran into another windows 10 bug: when I had 20+ Windows Explorer folders open it hangs and then restarts itself.
            SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

The Windows 10 upgrade ruined my laptop. But, the clean install on my PC is great aside from the bug where the start menu doesn't work. See if you can do a fresh install of the OS.

Now the important question... What were you trying to play?

Comment

aside from the bug where the start menu doesn't work
                Yeah, get that too occasionally. Along with my graphics driver stopping, and then restarting every once in a while. The more they try to improve things, the worst they get.
                Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Mosin1942 View Post
                  The Windows 10 upgrade ruined my laptop. But, the clean install on my PC is great aside from the bug where the start menu doesn't work. See if you can do a fresh install of the OS.

Now the important question... What were you trying to play?
                  Death Road to Canada I think. I did a clean install of the OS and everything is working right now. So chalk this crap up to windows 10 sucking?

Comment

Originally posted by sheeple View Post

Death Road to Canada I think. I did a clean install of the OS and everything is working right now. So chalk this crap up to windows 10 sucking?
                    Probably where I'd lean to right now. I know of more than a few people who had issues after the "upgrade", but most clean installs seem fairly stable.

Comment

Probably where I'd lean to right now. I know of more than a few people who had issues after the "upgrade", but most clean installs seem fairly stable.
                      Alright, cool. I checked all my hardware, and I can't seem to find a problem. Problems began (like random lock ups during gameplay) after I upgraded to Windows 10. We'll see if this reinstall worked. Really annoying that I had to reinstall my GPU drivers etc.

Comment

Alright, cool. I checked all my hardware, and I can't seem to find a problem. Problems began (like random lock ups during gameplay) after I upgraded to Windows 10. We'll see if this reinstall worked. Really annoying that I had to reinstall my GPU drivers etc.
                        What's your build? I've got an i7 6700K, MSI GTX970, 16GB DDR4-3000, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD, and a BenQ 144hz monitor. The 144hz monitor has to be, by far, my favorite part of my setup.

Comment

What's your build? I've got an i7 6700K, MSI GTX970, 16GB DDR4-3000, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD, and a BenQ 144hz monitor. The 144hz monitor has to be, by far, my favorite part of my setup.
                          Pretty similar. i76700k, Gtx980ti, 32GB DDR4, 500GB HDD (boot drive), 1TB HDD/SSD (I think).

Comment

Pretty similar. i76700k, Gtx980ti, 32GB DDR4, 500GB HDD (boot drive), 1TB HDD/SSD (I think).
                            Very nice. With that 980ti, I'd recommend trying a 144hz monitor if you haven't already. I thought about going 1440p or 4K instead, but actually seeing 100, 120, 144fps looks amazing. Gameplay is so smooth, I can't go back to just 60fps. The difference is jarring, like going from 60fps to 30.

Comment

Very nice. With that 980ti, I'd recommend trying a 144hz monitor if you haven't already. I thought about going 1440p or 4K instead, but actually seeing 100, 120, 144fps looks amazing. Gameplay is so smooth, I can't go back to just 60fps. The difference is jarring, like going from 60fps to 30.
                              Nice, I'll have to look into that. My monitor is 3 years old now. Need to upgrade soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X