Need Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

Option 3, everything is zero, at least in the details for the critical error.

There are two PC's plugged into the same powerstrip, and the issue is only affecting one of them.

It's a Dell, Windows 10 up to date, fairly higher end gaming PC, I guess about 2 years old
    Does it have Dell Pro Support which covers unit for 3 years parts and labor

Comment

3/4 of random shutdown issues that I've had were the result of bad power supply.
      I've also had random shutdowns due to thermal issues. On a less likely scale my most recent random shutdown issue was caused by my graphics card. Computer would shut off randomly without warning multiple times a week, occasionally I would get a bios error about a surge. Thought it was a PSU issue, was literally ordering a replacement when I started seeing artifacts on my display. Took out the gfx card and ran it on integrated, wouldn't you know it my random shut downs stopped.
      It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
      This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
      We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
      Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

It happened again overnight. I ran a summary in event viewer it it seems to happen at oddly similar times. Could this be a sign of the issue? I guess it was around Jan 6th that I updated the drivers because thats when it started happening daily.

kernel-power.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Why not remove that extra driver updater program. And go back to dell site with service id and download all drivers compliant with your machine from Dell Support site directly. Bring it back to a baseline. Most issues i have seen have been from users using these so called Free Driver update programs. You really dont know where and what is being updated. Since you have been mentioning it has only been since you updated drivers. Did you go into device manager and check your versions against what is listed on the Dell Support site?

Comment

You can try to do a restore to the last restore point if you have one as it could be a bad driver or some corrupt OS files. I would back up all your files and do a fresh install of Windows 10. If that doesn't help then it's definitely a hardware issue (either PS, a bad memory chip or the MB).

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

Option 3, everything is zero, at least in the details for the critical error.

There are two PC's plugged into the same powerstrip, and the issue is only affecting one of them.

It's a Dell, Windows 10 up to date, fairly higher end gaming PC, I guess about 2 years old
              That means all signs are pointing at the PSU.

By any chance, does your other PC have a similar PSU inside? The easiest troubleshooting step would be to just swap the "known working" unit over and see if the issue is fixed.

The connectors are keyed to only go in one way, it's pretty obvious where they go, it's basically plug and play.

But, one thing to be aware of, some Dell's come with proprietary 6 pin connector on their motherboard and PSU, so you may need to replace with the identical model number as the standard ones won't plug in. Their gaming units usually use a standard mobo with standard connectors, but the non-gaming ones often have the 6-pin plug.

Comment

I deleted all the third party software that is supposed to keep me up to date, but also runs in the background and pops up from time to time to try to sell premium versions. I ran the Dell Support driver updater and turns out there was a couple updates the other programs didnt catch, including an important BIOS update. I also ran every system check Dell offers and they all came up clean. Since the BIOS update i have survived 24 hours without a reboot. Fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                X