Drone recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone recommendation?

As you may know, we sell stuff for roofing and chimneys. Some of our custom copper chimney shrouds are actually quite nice.

Anyone have aver any drone recommendations? Not looking to do full aerial surveys of destro's house in order to learn new bbq tips, but just fly up to chimney level, snap some photos, and Instagram those suckers.

Thanks,
    vick
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Vick,
    'I have a nice phantom drone that I've never flown if you want to borrow it and learn how to fly it and then teach me as well.

Comment

Vick not directly on point but do you anyone that can do a copper cap on a chimney in Westchester?
      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

If you're going to get one, splurge on the DJI Phantom.

The AR Parrot latest gen is nice and user friendly with an smartphone or ipad, but the Phantom is much more and the industry standard. Gen and accessories depend on budget/needs.... if you're just doing chimneys maybe the AR Parrot (available at apple stores, radio shack etc.) might do it, but the drop off after that in price/quality isn't worth buying anything less. My advice is to google both these models, and some youtube flight/chimney videos. Good luck!
        Last edited by Destro; 09-03-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
          If you're going to get one, splurge on the DJI Phantom.

The AR Parrot latest gen is nice and user friendly with an smartphone or ipad, but the Phantom is much more and the industry standard. Gen and accessories depend on budget/needs.... if you're just doing chimneys maybe the AR Parrot (available at apple stores, radio shack etc.) might do it, but the drop off after that in price/quality isn't worth buying anything less. My advice is to google both these models, and some youtube flight/chimney videos. Good luck!
          DJI Phantom the 3 or the 4? The 3 I see for under $500 and the 4 around $1100, Phil what is different between the 2? Looking to buy the 4 but thinking if the 3 does the same thing why spend the extra money.
          Last edited by Airbrush art; 09-03-2016, 11:47 AM.
          stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Found this 3 vs 4 I think it will be a 4 for me
            WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PHANTOM 4 AND THE PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL?

OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE

The first and most important difference between the two Phantom models is obstacle avoidance. The Phantom 3 has two cameras. It has one camera for video and one for stabilization. With the Phantom 4, they’ve added three more cameras for improved stabilization and obstacle avoidance. This is a huge feature for new pilots who are worried about crashing on their first drone flight, but it’s also a nice feature for keeping you out of trouble when shooting tight close up shots. SPEED AND AGILITY

The second distinguishing feature of the Phantom 4 is the new sport mode. In this mode it disables the obstacle avoidance and increases the max speed to 45mph (about 10mph faster than the Phantom 3 Professional. Although the motors will be visible in forward facing shots, it’s a great feature for shooting what’s below you at high speeds. BATTERY LIFE

With the Phantom 4, you’re getting 25% more flight time. This might not sound like a big difference, but if you’re out flying, every extra minute will count. The new battery also has more connection pins so that the Phantom 4 and the battery charger can monitor the battery more accurately. SUBJECT TRACKING

With the Phantom 3, almost all of the moving shots that you take are done by manually moving the sticks on the controller to fly the drone in a particular direction. This is another thing that can be hard for new pilots, especially if you want to track a moving subject without making any jerky movements. With the Phantom 4, there’s a new feature called active track and Tap Flight. With Active track, you can just select the subject that you’re trying to track and it will automatically lock on and start tracking it. This is different from the Follow Me feature built into the Phantom 3 because it uses machine learning algorithms to visually track, instead of just following a GPS signal from your smartphone.

Tap fly is another feature aimed at beginners. It allows you to smoothly fly to different locations just by tapping where you want to go on the screen. REDUNDANCY AND RELIABILITY

Although the Phantom 3 is still one of the most reliable consumer drones you can buy, the Phantom 4 is on a completely new level. It has two gyros, two compasses and two accelerometers. These are all of the sensors that let the Phantom know what its orientation is so it can remain stable. If any of these things happen to fail one day, a typical drone (Phantom 3 Professional included) will no longer be able to stabilize itself, causing it to fall out of the sky. The main reason for these additional sensors is to add extra redundancy, but the nice thing about the Phantom 4 is that the flight computer can also look at the extra sensors to get more accurate data, which makes it even more stable in the air. FASTER SETUP

Getting the Phantom 3 Professional set up and prepared for flight has always been a painless process for me, but sometimes it can be time consuming to screw each propeller onto the motors. That’s why the Phantom 4 now has self locking quick release Props. With the new propellers, you can mount them within 10 seconds, and never worry about them falling due to not putting them on tight enough. GIMBAL AND OPTICS

Unfortunately we haven’t had a chance to test the Camera on the Phantom 4 to see if it’s any better than the Phantom 3 Professional, but according to DJI the camera has a new lens that reduces distortion (that fisheye effect) and increases sharpness. WHY WOULD YOU BUY THE PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL?

There are two small advantages that you get when buying the Phantom 3 Professional over the Phantom 4. The first is price. Right now the Phantom 4 is about $400 more than the Phantom 3 Professional, so if you’re on a really tight budget, that could be a deal breaker. That probably isn’t the case if you’re reading about the Phantom 4 though. The other small advantage of the Phantom 3 is the fact that DJI offers all of the replacement parts for the Phantom 3 on their website. This is great if you’re good at fixing electronics, but for most people using the DJI Care plan will be a better idea.

stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post

DJI Phantom the 3 or the 4? The 3 I see for under $500 and the 4 around $775, Phil what is different between the 2? Looking to buy the 4 but thinking if the 3 does the same thing why spend the extra money.

Simply different features, better cameras (4k video etc.). The 3 and 4 series are overall similar just the specific features will differ.
              https://www.dji.com/products/compare-phantom

the 2 v 3 has more differences, the 3 comes with still camera and video as well IIRC

Comment

Here is a chimney inspection done by a Phantom... which seems the tool of the trade in my quick online search...

Comment

Damn...I saw the thread title & immediately started thinking it was for "what round to take down a drone"....
                  If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

WOW what a tool for those who do home inspections.
                    stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

+ whatever it is for the DJI's.

Just make sure you check out the new FAA regulations for commercial use. I have not been keeping up, but I remember a few real estate photographers I know were complaining about the FAA earlier this year. I think they made some regulations that go into effect soon (or might be already) that you need testing or a license or something for commercial use.
                      Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by xcentrk View Post
                        + whatever it is for the DJI's.

Just make sure you check out the new FAA regulations for commercial use. I have not been keeping up, but I remember a few real estate photographers I know were complaining about the FAA earlier this year. I think they made some regulations that go into effect soon (or might be already) that you need testing or a license or something for commercial use.

Yep, but for ANY use...even a Phantom you buy on Amazon for your teen kid. Any drone over .55 pounds must be registered since Aug. 29. It's the Drone equivalent of the "SAFE act". Bet there's a lot of assault drones still out there.

"The NEW Small UAS Rule (Part 107), including all pilot and operating rules, is in effect as of 12:01 a.m. EDT on August 29, 2016."
                        http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
                        Last edited by Destro; 09-03-2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I have the DJI phantom and use it for Just what you are describing, To inspect areas on 8 and greater pitch roofs It really is a great model, get real time video as I am flying it and registration, Yeah it exists but Ive yet to see the drone police

Comment

wow, wasn't looking to spend $1100. I'll see if the cheaper one will work for us.

Rubbermittens which version do you have, and how easy is it to fly? I don't want to bounce it off a roof and then go looking for it in someone's gutters.
                            High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Also, if just looking for something cheap an quick (for instagram) maybe just use a painters pole with a tripod adapter and a cell phone with a bluetooth shutter release and case with tripod screw (or a small point and shoot camera you can control remotely like a Canon PowerShot ELPH). You can use a cellphone with all the related stuff for probably under $75 ... add another couple hundred for a regular small P&S camera. Just look up 'pole aerial photography' for ideas.

---------------------

Painter pole to camera tripod adapter: $22
                              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVWS1JK...mprovphotog-20

Bluetooth Remote for cell phone: $20
                              https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Rem...3B0NCXG8RQDA78

Canon PowerShot ELPH 340 HS: $180
                              https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh.../dp/B00HLDFNKQ
                              Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Working...
                              X