Verizon vs Optimum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verizon vs Optimum

I'm currently using Optimum for TV, phones, and Internet. Every time it rains, we have problems with our phones. Some people say Verizon is better.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

John

Originally posted by DrJohn View Post
    I'm currently using Optimum for TV, phones, and Internet. Every time it rains, we have problems with our phones. Some people say Verizon is better.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

John
    Both companies have service issues.

Call for service and complain. They may fix it eventually. In the meantime, make sure your service entrance has drip loops.

Comment

That's quite unusual, almost sounds like you have a bad line/connection outside
      NRA Pistol Instructor
      Life Member:
      Gun Owners of America, American Suppressor Association,
      National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation

Comment

• rlitman
        rlitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Old coax connections relied on grease and rubber boots that failed frequently. Newer compression connections have o-rings that are pretty reliable, but they can fail, and when water gets in the line, it can wreak havoc with the signal. Optimum has teams dedicated to these issues.

Get a weatherproof box to keep your outside splitters dry.
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• rlitman
        rlitman commented
        Editing a comment
        It's an option, but you still need to ensure the wires only enter from the bottom. A drip loop should be sufficient.

Where do you live? VZ fiber isn't available in Brookhaven. As for the issue when it rains, we had a similar problem on my block, water was getting into their shit on the lines. Cablevision came and fixed it once they figured out what it was.

Comment

Fios better of two evils. Much better and stable internet. Depending on your current monthly bill cutting the cord makes more sense now than ever. A solid internet connection and a few good streaming services and you'll have more to watch including live TV for less

Comment

If you're in an area that supports Optimum Fiber, I highly recommend switching. Dedicated fiber connection right into the house. I switched a year ago and service has been flawless (rare for Optimum). I can't speak for their cable or phone service as I'm only using it for internet.

Synchronous gigabit is great.

Comment

I would pay Verizon $1000/month rather than give Optimum a dime again. VZ has better internet and the quality of the TV service is much higher. I was stuck with them when I lived in Island Park and they were the worst and all I see is complaints on neighborhood FB groups and the Neighbors app.
            Ben

Comment

• Range Time
              Range Time commented
              Editing a comment
              This /\

I forgot to mention that I'm frequently getting outage notices from Optimum.

John

Comment

I went through a nightmare with Optimum recently. Similar issues that you are having, and then some.
              They are incompetent in regards to service. In my opinion the company absolutely sucks. Not a single redeeming quality.
              All they want you to do is buy upgraded service and claim that will fix the problems.
              It doesn't.
              The problems are not unusual at all, in fact it is of epidemic proportions. Their old coax system is antiquated and obsolete. The connectors fail, water enters, oxidation occurs, and signal leaks, resulting in degraded service and eventual failures. The notoriously common points of failure are at what they call the "taps". However each point of signal leak adds up till stuff does not work (TV, internet and phone). The older your local wiring, the worse it is.
              The major problem is that they will resist repairing properly tooth and nail. They do as absolutely little as possible to get service to perform at the absolute minimum requirements.
              On top of that their system is set up to fail and be burdensome and inefficient. First they will blame you, your equipment, and your house wiring. Then with enough hemming and hawing, they will set up a service appointment, with the threat/reminder that when it is determined that the issue is with your equipment, there will be a significant service charge. The first "tech" that visits you will check your equipment. Then they check signal levels. If your intermittent problem isn't acting up right then and there, they'll tell you there is no problem, and leave, so sorry. If it is acting up when they check, they will change the connectors on the outside of your home. They might change your router/modem. If/when that doesn't work, they'll tell you they have to schedule another appointment with a different tech to change your drop (the wire from pole to your house). When that doesn't work (days/weeks later, btw), they say they need to schedule the engineer crew to inspect the wiring from pole-to-pole. IF those engineers identify a problem (which they resist doing hardcore btw) they will schedule the construction crew to come make repairs.
              It is SNAFU all the way home.

I was told that their new fiber optic network is better, if it is available in your neighborhood. Only because it is new, different wires, completely independent of the old wires.

I have no experience with Verizon, so I don't know if they are any better. I do know that their wiring system is newer than Optimums in my neighborhood, so there's that.

I haven't switched because, knock on wood, everything is working OK for me recently. I put a lot of effort, time and frustration into getting them to do the repairs needed to get me up and running adequately. I will not do it again. Nect time their system craps out, I'm switching. I don't think it can be worse.

Comment

• spb1122
                spb1122 commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn. I wonder if most cranky old men laugh at themselves for becoming cranky old men like I do?
                Everybody sucks!

When we moved to the Island back in 2006, we got Optimum. When we brought our new house in 2013, I notified Optimum 6 weeks in advance to move the service. They said they couldn't work in my timetable and gave me an appointment date 10-12 weeks out. I called Verizon, and they offered to come in install my service the day after we moved in. They offered me a better price, FIOS, and more channels. Also, that price is locked in for life.

With the exception of Hurricane Sandy, we haven't had a single outage.

And now ... the bad: We're locked in on the price for life! UNLESS we want to make a change. Upgrade, add/delete a channel, get a faster router etc ... But right now, we're still locked in. We can watch House of the Dragon, and Yellowstone. Showtime, and HBO. And a plethora of other channels for under $180.00 a month.

I've had friends who've tried DISH, and went back. I've heard there is a new "satellite" service, but I don't know anything about it.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Comment

They both suck.

I have a thread on here somewhere about Optimum. Finally got the problem resolved by contacting their corporate office. Freaking nightmare.

Comment

I'm no fan of Verizon (deal with them a fair amount in my job) but they are hands down better for Internet service than Optimum in my experience. In terms of customer service, they both are horrendous. Drop the TV service and get a few subscription services. Watch what you want, not what they are willing to spoon feed you.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
                    Where do you live? VZ fiber isn't available in Brookhaven. As for the issue when it rains, we had a similar problem on my block, water was getting into their shit on the lines. Cablevision came and fixed it once they figured out what it was.
                    Verizon is currently wiring Brookhaven right now. I don't know if it's actually available yet, but they got some sort of approval to start doing the infrastructure. I happened to speak to a Verizon fiber splicer today.

Comment

Verizon has to step up and pay the politicians of Crookhaven so we can get their service, Optimum sucks on dry hot sunny days too

Comment

Working...
                      X