Need a new Wi-fi router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new Wi-fi router

My maybe 3-4 year old Netgear is taking a shit. It likes to default itself to the factory password for the hell of it, just to keep me from getting bored.

Any suggestions? I've had crappy luck with Linksys in the past, and had a cheap Trendnet that lasted a while, but had mediocre speed and range.
    Steve

Im really happy with my Orbi AX4200 stuff.

I have 1 cable modem/router combo unit plus 3 satellites.

Its all fast and seamless.

Comment

• Finicky Fat Guy
      Finicky Fat Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have an Orbi as well and have been very happy with it. Highly recommend.

Go with a mesh system, I have a nest sysytem (I know πŸ™„); it works great & allows me to control all the devices connected to the system. I have each kids devices WiFi set to go on and off based on their schedules, school, homework, night, etc. You can Also control groups of devices at any time outside of the schedules set up
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member:
    Gun Owners of America, American Suppressor Association,
    National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation

Comment

I'm a Ubiquiti fan. Running a UDM + 2 UAP Nanos all wired together (I don't like wifi mesh, too much noise, wired is more stable).

Comment

Mesh system
        by eero
        by once cry once and you add as needed deepening on you home size.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
          My maybe 3-4 year old Netgear is taking a shit. It likes to default itself to the factory password for the hell of it, just to keep me from getting bored.

Any suggestions? I've had crappy luck with Linksys in the past, and had a cheap Trendnet that lasted a while, but had mediocre speed and range.
          This has been typical of most Netgear with longevity last couple years a failure within 3 years or so no matter how high a model you get with Netgear with most of my deployed Netgear routers. Even after flashing trying to flash to latest firmware. Trendnet is typically a low cost low performance brand when their routers are used. Linksys has had a high rate of failure from what I have personally experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetfan1616 View Post
            I'm a Ubiquiti fan. Running a UDM + 2 UAP Nanos all wired together (I don't like wifi mesh, too much noise, wired is more stable).
            Good equipment, no customer support line is supported by a forum with a moderator. Have deployed numerous models of Ubiquiti , they are experiencing a backorder and shortage in the market currently. Zero support however when you need to try to get a warranty covered. The software to manage is fairly robust once you work your way thru it. More settings than a home user ever needs to have. wiring together makes for the best speed to Access Points. If you have the ability to run a cat6 to it ,Cat5 how ever there seems to be a latency. which I have not deep dived into it but there seems to be a fair amount of traffic with communications when you look at the performance chart. Basically these are sold at list price and on Amazon slightly above due to market shortage. You can buy direct from there home website typically comes in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonyr View Post
              Mesh system
              by eero
              by once cry once and you add as needed deepening on you home size.
              Eero, comes single or tri pack and is pretty simple to deploy. Download a app to your mobile device. Allow it to register your cable modem and tell it location and if it is the 1st unit to be deployed. Each other unit then can be placed as needed in locations all over the home upstairs or down. It shows signal strength of each unit. Firmware is automatically updated whenever it is avail. Speed test and diag utilities are app based and you can create a guest network easily. remotely it will even tell you if your internet is down . Sold thru Amazon and be to you next day in most cases. I have more success with Eero with Apple devices in terms of performance over Google Home Wifi. Newer Iphones, Ipads seem to connect easier and over all clients are reporting a better overall experience, Installed sites I have over 50 and thus far zero defectives over the last 4 years.

Comment

• Chase
                Chase commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m using the eero for about 6 months with no complaints. Easy installation and easy to connect boosters to increase strength through the house. No need to purchase any of their subscription services.

Good info.

Thanks, folks.
              Steve

Comment

Google Deco mesh system. Inexpensive and will ensure high speed everywhere. Super easy set up too

Comment

Below is the newer version of what I am using. Says 5500 sq ft of coverage with 2 units. Mine is running for 2 yrs with no issues. Expandable systems. Work fine with my plaster & lathe walls which suck fir wireless. 2 on the main floor, 1 upstairs and one in the basement. Solved a bevy of problems.TP Link is a Chinese company so I may be getting hacked constantly or just shut off in the future when CCP tells them to disable all comms in USA.

TP-Link Deco AXE5400 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System(Deco XE75 Pro) - 2.5G WAN/LAN Port, Covers up to 5500 Sq.Ft, Replaces WiFi Router and Extender, AI-Driven Mesh, New 6GHz Band, 2-Pack

​https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B89L8QKZ...eid=f7dc5c329c

Comment

TP-Link Deco mesh. Simple, cheap and extends the range seamlessly .
                    I had router installed in my office which was a mistake. Since is at one end of a ranch.
                    I had weak signal on my patio and in garage.
                    A signal I needed for cell phone coverage is awful here.
                    This worked well and was EZ to set up

ETA: I removed the link. Better to click on the LIGC home page

TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi System (Deco S4) – Up to 5,500 Sq.ft. Coverage, Replaces WiFi Router and Extender, Gigabit Ports,

​On sale now too $129 for 3 pack which will cover like 5000 sf

Screenshot (3822).png
                    Last edited by Aquabach; 09-12-2022, 07:25 AM.
                    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X