• Show
Clear All

Zombie Thread.

thread.png
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
      Thread from 2017???
      People always seem to start these lawn care thread at the wrong time of year or after it's too late. Right now is the best time of year to seed.

Should I have started a new thread?
      No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

What kind of grass seed would you throw down(besides zoysia)? The sun/shade mix is like pussy grass. If it gets too much sun it dries out and turns brown all summer no matter how much I water it. If it doesnt get enough sun, its thin and barely grows at all. Only if it gets the perfect combination of direct sun and shade throughout the day does it stay green. Is there anything besides zoysia that is thick, hardy, and somewhat chokes out weeds, and tolerates a range of full to sun to partial shade?

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
          What kind of grass seed would you throw down(besides zoysia)? The sun/shade mix is like pussy grass. If it gets too much sun it dries out and turns brown all summer no matter how much I water it. If it doesnt get enough sun, its thin and barely grows at all. Only if it gets the perfect combination of direct sun and shade throughout the day does it stay green. Is there anything besides zoysia that is thick, hardy, and somewhat chokes out weeds, and tolerates a range of full to sun to partial shade?
          Send a note directly to Turfman81 ....hopefully he'll help answer. I think you just need a better quality seed to be honest.

Comment

I took a ride out to the Long Island Cauliflower Association in Riverhead and picked up a big bag of their sun& shade mix put it down last week i will let you know how it works out. Cool place if you are out that way

Comment

I think I may go down the road to tractorsupply and pick up a back of their DLF Kentucky-31 Tall Fescue
              Last edited by BillyBonds; 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The nursery on 231 in Deer Park(Stables?) just north of SS pkway. Old man in the back of the building is a good source of info.
                Have a nice day.

Comment

Last year I seeded at this time, grass came in great. Just seeded yesterday again

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Shmoe View Post
                    The nursery on 231 in Deer Park(Stables?) just north of SS pkway. Old man in the back of the building is a good source of info.
                    He thinks he is. I lost count how many time he gave me bad advice. At least, until I learned.

Mainly, he's there to sell you what he has in stock. Once he convinced me to use crabgrass preventer by Johnathan Greenfield. How could I go wrong with such a folksy name?

It was like I planted crabgrass. Worst I ever had.

The guy's a fool.
                    No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

I think I may go down the road to tractorsupply and pick up a back of their DLF Kentucky-31 Tall Fescue
                      That stuff is pretty thick bladed and not very attractive. Delea sod in miller place also sells seed. The guy at delea also recommended the cauliflower association. They have all sorts of farm seed also

Comment

I put down Kentucky Blue seed, came in great, I had to dig up a bunch of spots from grubs, the areas I reseeded with it are virtually weed free and nice and thick.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                          Thread from 2017???
                          No shit. I read the OP and said WTF dipping into the 20s?
                          The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Now this will stress all you fuckers out.

I'm actually seeding FOR crabgrass.
                            Crabgrass can be another first-rate forage if used in the right place and the right time, Anderson says.
                            “Cattle love crabgrass. Given a choice, cattle will graze crabgrass before almost any other forage. That’s why you rarely see much of it in pastures. And they perform well, too. Steers have gained over 2½ lbs./day on well-managed crabgrass,” he says.

So they will graze the lower stuff and allow my other grasses to grow, I might be able to graze a field and cut if for hay, we will see.

Now for all you guys who might want to raise beef, or perhaps screw over a neighbor. You can even buy crabgrass seed at WalMart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quick-N-B...10070302008005
                            Last edited by OH UNCLE PAUL; 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM.
                            The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Best seed blend for this area 90-95% turf tall fescue (make sure at least 3 turf tall fescue varieties) and 5-10% kbg mix. I’ve walked the seed plots for the NTEP trials 2-3years ago at Rutgers and they were standing out strong. Try to avoid perennial rye and fine fescues unless your seeding In heavier shaded areas.
                              Last edited by Turfman81; 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

LICA Sun & Shade Mix #2

The elite variety of bluegrass, fine leaf perennial ryegrass, and red fescue that we have selected, will give you the combination of dark color, disease resistance, traffic tolerance, and shade tolerance that the quality conscious homeowner needs. This is an excellent mixture for most lawns on Long Island. Seeding Rate: 4-6 lbs. /1000 sq. ft
                                • 25% Maxama Kentucky bluegrass
                                • 25% Fairmont Chewing Fescue
                                • 20% Aberdeen Creeping Red Fescue
                                • 10% Metolius Perennial Ryegrass
                                • 10% Charismatic II Perennial Ryegrass
                                • 10% Viking H20 Hard Fescue
                                this is the seed mix I used for overseeing this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X