Sliding door lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding door lock

here is the situation... the kids forget to lock the patio sliding door (do not get me started) and the dogs nose it open to go out. I want to install some sort of auto-lock so that it locks closed automatically, requiring a latch to reopen.

Any ideas?

If you can get behind the frame, put a weight on the end of a chain or rope that pulls the door closed. The latch part is easy.
    Post count uber alles!
    Saying we don’t need firearms because we have the Police is like saying we don’t need fire extinguishers because we have the Fire Department.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money!
    If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con', what is the opposite of 'progress'?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.
    A nation of sheep, invites a government of wolves.

Comment

The easiest way is to mount a spring loaded window lock on the end of the door. You cut a notch in the track and the door will auto lock. They do make ones that can be locked back if you plan to go in and out alll day.
      Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

When I had sliders, I installed this type of lock on my sliders. The locking pin is permanently on a spring, when you slide it closed, the pin goes up the ramp and into a hole on the receiving side. You have to pull the pin to open it up again. There are two positions to the pin. Door partially closed about 5 inches open and fully locked and closed. This type of lock has locked me out of the house if I wasn't careful however, and can only be opened from the inside. You do have to drill and screw it in. It wasn't that difficult to install.

IMG_1713.PNG
        Last edited by SirMixAlot; 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you for my daily dose of birth control

Comment

Teach the dogs to close the door when they come back in. Problem solved.
            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Okay here is what I did....

I bought a neodymium magnet with a strength of 50 pounds, mounted it on the frame and then rigged a steel striker plate on the sliding door. Now when the kids close the door, and forget to lock it, the magnet keeps the door closed and prevents the dogs from opening it.

Hopefully that solves the problem!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by HabsFan; 12-28-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HabsFan View Post
                Okay here is what I did....

I bought a neodymium magnet with a strength of 50 pounds, mounted it on the frame and then rigged a steel striker plate on the sliding door. Now when the kids close the door, and forget to lock it, the magnet keeps the door closed and prevents the dogs from opening it.

Hopefully that solves the problem!
                Exactly what I was going to suggest.
                NRA Life member

Comment

I believe they make automatic closers for swimming pool code

Comment

Working...
                  X