No announcement yet.

Central Air Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We went ductless. Wife doesn't mind the look, not much worse than the central's vents and saved having all the ductwork in the attic and losing a closet. Its nice when you only cool off the living room until just before bedtime, then cool off the bedroom. Our largest unit does nearly half the house, the other three can make the bedrooms COLD. However, I am sure that your house is much larger than mine so not sure how cost effective one is over the other either. My attic is jam packed and closets are all full so ductless was a dream for us.

Comment

Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
      We went ductless. Wife doesn't mind the look, not much worse than the central's vents and saved having all the ductwork in the attic and losing a closet. Its nice when you only cool off the living room until just before bedtime, then cool off the bedroom. Our largest unit does nearly half the house, the other three can make the bedrooms COLD. However, I am sure that your house is much larger than mine so not sure how cost effective one is over the other either. My attic is jam packed and closets are all full so ductless was a dream for us.
      Final costs comparable to a traditional system?

Comment

Didn't even look to be honest, but it cost us around 8K to 8.5K for a three bedroom ranch in Matzahpizza in 2012. Anyone die in your attic yesterday ? For disposal, I knew a guy who knew a guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Basballny2 View Post

What’s a good unit? I’ve been reading about Rheem and most of the reviews haven’t been great. The model being offered is this one:
          https://www.gemaire.com/rheem-ra1336...le-ra1336aj1na
          14 or 16 seer Rheem or a Lennox . I have a Rheem in my house and all my side jobs are Rheem

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
            14 or 16 seer Rheem or a Lennox . I have a Rheem in my house and all my side jobs are Rheem
            So don’t get the 13 SEER? The price is a few thousand less than the other quotes but I’m guessing now that’s bc it’s an older model system that he’s trying to get rid of

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
              And they work GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Karpteach View Post

And they work GREAT!
                RHEEM?

Comment

RHEEM?
                  Yes, Rheem. FastPhil installed it this spring. It’s a 3 ton unit and I keep it on 75 during the day and 79 at night. It’s used for a ranch and it takes care of the house and basement. There is NO humidity in the house, which makes my guns and wife happy.
                  Last edited by Karpteach; 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I would do them in the whole house but the wife doesn’t like the way they look........ I agree with the problems of central air
                    I agree with her on the mini split wall units. But they now have ceiling units that are flush mounts.
                    You could get a central air unit for most of the house and a mini split for where it fits best. I have central air and I'm thinking of putting one in the master bedroom.

minisplitjpg.jpgminispkitceilingIMG_1945.JPG

Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Yes, Rheem. FastPhil installed it this spring. It’s a 3 ton unit and I keep it on 75 during the day and 79 at night. It’s used for a ranch and it takes care of the house and basement. There is NO humidity in the house, which makes my guns and wife happy.
                      75 AND 79????? That's not air conditioning. How the hell do you sleep sweating your balls off?

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

75 AND 79????? That's not air conditioning. How the hell do you sleep sweating your balls off?
                        Meh. I know a ton of older people that need it feel like a meat locker. I hate getting summer colds and a sore throat from blasting the ac. To each their own. 75 is air conditioning (Sure, I would not call that cold though). We usually keep the central at that, maybe 73. When the CAC broke down (turns out loose wire, 2 min fix) during the heat wave the other week the main floor shot up to 90+ with the windows open (now that floor is a ranch, charcoal shingle roof, lots of large windows and sliders, so a "greenhouse effect") but without conditioning the air it would be that way every summer day.

Comment

78 in my house. Either that or I have to run the electric heater for my Mom. That's why I want a unit for the master bedroom!
                          Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

F2DA9149-69DF-4340-B4FF-02B3B85EA05F.jpeg
                            Spin that Electric meter! 69 daytime 67 at night

Comment

I swear, I do not sweat one bit. I am a fat fucker and it’s veey comfortable. The house is dray as Clinton’s crotch.

Comment

I swear, I do not sweat one bit. I am a fat fucker and it’s veey comfortable. The house is dray as Clinton’s crotch.
                                ^^ that's funny right there!

I swear thermostats are off anyway, although it's probably humidity as you mention. I've been in houses where 72 felt like a meat locker and others where it felt like I was literally in hell. If I have to remove sheets at night, it's too hot. I need a chill or my fat ass is not sleeping. At the end of the day, the difference in electric over the course of a year between 68 and 72 is probably marginal. A few hundred bucks or so over the course of a year is well worth better sleep in my book.

Comment

Working...
                                X