Anyone expierienced with tax grievance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone expierienced with tax grievance?

Looking for someone that has experience with this. Bought my house in April and the Real Estate agent filed a grievance independently to take affect for the 19/20 taxes. Got the offer back this week and it’s 13% which I want to reject. The taxes are ridiculously higher than all of the neighbors/similar size houses with comparable BR/Bathrooms etc. By ridiculous I’m talking 75% higher in some cases. Never done this before but was wondering if anyone has. I’ve contacted company’s that want 35-40% of the total savings which doesn’t make sense when I can just take the 13% and pay nothing.

My taxes on a three bedroom ranch in St James crept up to $15,800.00 from just over 5k in twenty years.

I used one of the services that contact you every year for seven of the next 8 years. I reduced my taxes to $11,300.00 by the time I sold it in 2013.

I missed one year, got nothing one year, won big one year and chipped away the others. They took half of the winnings. I thought it was well worth it. I’m sure the people I sold it to are happy.

Comment

i tried calling a place this year, forget who. but they said my taxes were already based on a lower value than i purchased the house for so they can't do anything.
      "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Years ago I paid $250 to grieve them. The paperwork needed to be done by May 31. In October I was notified that my taxes were going to be reduced by $800 but it wouldn't show until next years tax bill. The next bill my taxes went up $915. Biggest waste of time and money I ever spent as previously my taxes never went up more than $150/yr.
        Basically I got screwed out of $250, my taxes went up $115, and they played the shell game with my "$800"
        I heard things are different now so I may try again.

Comment

It helps to know what town and area you live in. Town Of Huntington used to have access on their website to tax data to assist you in preparing your own tax grievance, I think they prefer you over the pros. I lived in Islip years ago and then Brookhaven.In both cases i used Mark Lewis and both times were denied and had to go to arbitration(?) to get the reduction. Towns will do this as a matter of course because of loss of tax base if more people do it. Most homes are over appraised and the Towns don't / can't / won't / are afraid of re-appraising the whole Town. If you do it yourself they will throw you a bone. If you use a professional then you gat what happened to me with Lewis. Both times I did much better with a professional. Political game playing, thats all. Good luck, keep trying.

Comment

I, as well as my parents, have been using Maidenbaum in Cedarhurst for years. They do take 50% of the first years reduction(up front, when judgement declared). You most likely will NOT win every single year, but it will help. If you have the time, you can very well do yourself, using "mynassauproperty" website for your comps etc, but if you are too busy, they have done a fair job for us. There are others out there that do 40% take, but I have no info for their track records. The people who have done the best, were the ones who started grieving the first years this crap started.
            Last edited by bigbore44; 09-14-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

In related news:
              For the veterans out there, there are a number of NYS RPT (Real Property Tax) 458a exemptions available. If you are not getting what you have earned, look into it.
              War time service = 15%
              Combat Service = additional 10%
              Service Connected disabled = 50% of your VA rating up to 50% (wartime @ 15% + 30% VA disability (@ 50% of 30% = 15% + 15% for wartime svc= 30%)
              Cold War = Call your a Town Assessor or your County Veterans Service Agency

A few years ago NYS allowed individual school districts to opt in to allow veterans exemptions to apply to school lines as well. This resulted in a significant increase for many vets.
              RTP questions can seem confusing, some are. It is well worth looking in to. Lots more to it but this’ll give you a taste.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                I, as well as my parents, have been using Maidenbaum in Cedarhurst for years. They do take 50% of the first years reduction(up front, when judgement declared). You most likely will NOT win every single year, but it will help. If you have the time, you can very well do yourself, using "mynassauproperty" website for your comps etc, but if you are too busy, they have done a fair job for us. There are others out there that do 40% take, but I have no info for their track records. The people who have done the best, were the ones who started grieving the first years this crap started.
                Ya our neighbor is paying 110%, literally 110% less than us for the same exact size house with everything being extremely similar. It’s insane to me that that was used as a comp and only a 13% reduction was granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Basballny2 View Post

Ya our neighbor is paying 110%, literally 110% less than us for the same exact size house with everything being extremely similar. It’s insane to me that that was used as a comp and only a 13% reduction was granted.
                  Wow....that is some difference alright. I do know that it will not be fully reduced in one single shot/grievance. That is why they stated in the big week long Snewsday expose, they mentioned that a homeowner who delayed grieving for a number of years AFTER their neighbors, would never catch-up.

Edit to add....this is why the new county exec is hell-bent on doing a complete reassessment again. But that is how we all got into this mess in the first place. The then in charge county exec, ordered a new assessment, which jacked EVERYBODY. The county was broke as usual, and this was his fix for the budget. Everybody freaked, and the whole grievance business bloomed & and boomed big-time! Take one good guess who were major contributors to his campaign for re-election? The owners of the tax reduction companies of course! You pay out the ass up front, and then you fight to get YOUR money back.

Side note - this is how Allstate insurance "accident-forgivness" policy works. The commercial tells you how you get money back as a bonus for being a good driver, for not having accidents. But read the fine print, or get a quote. The premium is waaay up there. Sound familiar? You pay a lot up front, and then beg to get money back....YOUR money! It's all a friggin scam.
                  Last edited by bigbore44; 09-15-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X