Battery operated lawn equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery operated lawn equipment

Anyone have any battery operated lawn equipment, if so what brand/voltage and how do you like it? I know it is the end of the season but I have had it with landscapers and think that I will be doing my own lawn next year. I want battery operated so that I can work off hours, nights, early mornings etc and not bother anyone. Looking for a mower and a string trimmer at a minimum, maybe a blower too but I already have a gas handheld blower and a corded hedge trimmer.
    Ben

I have a dewalt 20v Max hedge trimmer that works well. However I do not have a lot of area that has to be trimmed.

Comment

I have used a craftsman 19.2 C3 system for years. I have the weedeater, hedgcutter, chainsaw and leaf blower. They work good for light jobs. I would not use the hedgecutter for anything more than 1/2" branches. Now with sears discontinuing them, i been replacing them with Ryobi 18v and been happy with them. I was tempted to get the lawn mower too but then i got a free gas mower from someone who was dumping theirs

Comment

Why not go robotic for the lawn? It will be like replacing your landscapers without the headache.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-967...obotic-Install

Comment

I’ve been through a few blowers now. The wife and the girls who work in the barn can’t seem to remember how to use a gas blower from day to day, so we switched to cordless for cleanup in and around the barn. They work great, surprising amount of power, but don’t expect to move volume. You want be able to wait until all the leaves fall. If you have a small property and don’t mind staying on top of it, it would work perfect. I know Stihl has been pushing a line of electric but I can’t speak to reliability. What I do know is every one we have owned to date, the battery or charger has taken a shit before the warranty is up, so we swap them out. Our first blower was a gift from the in-laws, a green works, that the battery took a shit. It being able to return it cause they bought it online, I started buying Kobalt from Lowe’s. Same issue as the Greenworks eventually, but they swap it out no questions asked at the local store.

To to put this in perspective, I’m on my third set of dewalt tools for free cause something always fails within their 3 year warranty. I just don’t think this lithium ion technology is capable of lasting long term , but the warranties(at least with the big box stores) more than makes up for it.

Comment

The Ego stuff runs great. I have the weed whacker. blower and hedge trimmer. I don't have a need for a mower or snow blower but the sell them with two batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
              The Ego stuff runs great. I have the weed whacker. blower and hedge trimmer. I don't have a need for a mower or snow blower but the sell them with two batteries.
              Ego was our first blower, not Greenworks.

Comment

Mowersdirect.com. Is a good source of info and ratings.
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

And consider zoysia, lol. I watered my lawn once all year, and just twice last year. I have not polluted the aquifers with herbicides, insecticides, lime, fertilizers or fungicides in well over 12 years. Zoysia just doesn't need any of those chemicals, just a mostly sunny yard. Only drawback to some is it doesn't green up and need to be mowed until mid May and it goes dormant by mid to late October. It also does not need to be mowed every week.

As for power equipment, I only have 80 foot frontage so have used for over 30 years the same electric (corded) mower, and corded hedge trimmers and edger.
                  Last edited by pequa1; 11-07-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

My neighbor has two of these...he bought one and then a couple years later wanted to upgrade. Don't tell his wife. She thinks they are the same. He loves all things made in Germany. I always saw him using it and it cuts Zoysia well and I believe the thing weighs a ton too. Looked like a nice machine. He obviously loves it.

Consider the size of your property too. We have under 1/4 acre plots and he has no issue getting through a mowing.

https://www.gardena.com/int/products...-li/965863701/

Comment

I ended up buying a battery powered mower today. Lowe's is selling their Kobalt 80v mowers with 2 batteries and a charger for 50% off until Jan 5th. Then I received an email that Lowe's card holders get 10% off all purchases this weekend instead of the usual 5%. I ended up getting the self propelled 80v mower which is normally $500 for $225. All reviews I have looked at put either the Ego mower (Home Depot's house brand) or this mower as #1.

Setup was super simple. Took it out of the box. Unfold the handle and or two bolts with knobs through the handle. Charge a battery and go. I just used it to much some leaves as a test and it worked great. More quiet than a vacuum. When my wife came home and I showed it to her she asked when I was going to start it, I said it's running now. She didn't believe me until I mulched some leaves.

It comes with a 5 year warranty, the batteries have a 3 year warranty.

The batteries last 30-40 minutes and take about the same to charge. From what I am reading, I should be able to do my almost quarter acre done in one battery no problem. The mower comes with a bag, a side discharge chute, and a plug to use it as a mulching mower.
                      When you are done using it, you flip the handle and it stands up on end and only takes us about 1'x2' of floor space.

My plan is to get the weed whacker which comes with another battery and charger and allows for attachments like an edger and a hedge trimmer and possibly the backpack blower which does not come with a battery.
                      Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X