underground irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

underground irrigation

Where would they keep the manifold and everything? Just purchased a house that has them but old owners never used them. (to my knowledge at least)... Rain bird in the garage thats unplugged.. but Where would the rest of the system be? Thanks

Steve

You mean sprinklers, follow the cold water pipe and look for valves that lead out. Same for wiring from that rain bird

Comment

If you need service or any changes reach out to member louiethe23rd he has his own irrigation company.
      Ben

Comment

My manifolds are in boxes flush in the lawn. I would look around the lawn and flower beds.
        Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

Look in the basement for a funky looking check valve overhead, mounted in-line on a copper pipe heading out the the wall toward the largest yard (front or back). The check valve might be more than a foot long if it's modern or just a few inches long if it's very old. That check valve is mounted on the water feed line of your sprinkler. The valve manifold will be in the ground right outside where that pipe leaves the house.
          LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport,

Comment

The valve boxes get easily covered with mulch, dirt and even grass can grow over it if it is not opened annually. I would look for a water pipe coming out og the house and going underground. There should also be a black cable, possibly 3/8" in thickness or so.

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
              If you need service or any changes reach out to member louiethe23rd he has his own irrigation company.
              100%. contact Louie and he'll get you fixed up.

Comment

More often than not, locate your water main cover in your front lawn or there will be a blue spray painted marking on the curb or in the street. A straight line from there to your house is where the water for the entire house should enter. Usually, I have seen sprinklers branch off somewhere off the main within a a couple feet of where it comes into the house. You will see a pipe heading to the outside and hopefully it has a shut off valve with a drain on the inside. See where it penetrates towards the exterior and then go outside the house at that spot. It should be there within a foot or so of the foundation.

Also, Louie23 is the guy to call to get that system up and running in case you are not familiar with it. My guess is that since it wasn't being used, it's probably not working correctly.
                The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

I also used Louie23. Really good guy no pressure

Comment

Louie23 is the way to go. Used him a few times already

Comment

Originally posted by IlDuce View Post
                      Where would they keep the manifold and everything? Just purchased a house that has them but old owners never used them. (to my knowledge at least)... Rain bird in the garage thats unplugged.. but Where would the rest of the system be? Thanks

Steve
                      From my experience they could be anywhere, alot of times in my industry people think all you need to open up an irrigation company is a shovel and a truck, add to that the youtube and things have been getting interesting. Typically like others have said the valves should be within a few feet of where the water main enters the house, sometimes you can see the pipe from the outside sometimes they put the main below grade. Usually the valves have a cover but all too often they are buried directly in the ground Also if you have a meter pit check around there as you can come directly after the meter for better water flow. And Finally there may not be valves at all and they just got the controller from somewhere and hung it in hopes of one day putting in a sprinkler system

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I see the sprinkler heads in the lawn. So i know someone took the time to do it. Ill need to search around and see where things are going... Do you need to file permits/blue prints or anything for when you do it? I thkn its a fairly old system... Some heads are Toro Super 600

Steve

Comment

Louie is right. you need so much more than a shovel and a truck. You need this thing:

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Found the box. Hardie 205s valves. How do I test the system to see if it actually works?

Comment

+1 for Louie, he just squared away my system this week. Now my ratty lawn and eff'ed up beds are not because of the sprinks anymore.
                              Lou is fair, knows his stuff and is a good guy.

PS; keep feeding him coffee, he will stay and work forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X