Squirrel in attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel in attic

For those who have dealt with a squirrel in the attic.

Should I go buy some traps or hire a professional?

Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
      I stand corrected. Should have remembered where I am positing. I thought of it, but would then have to recover the squirrel or it would stink

Comment

I've used Havahart traps with much success for squirrels, possums and raccoons. What you do with them once you trap them is another issue.

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-10-in-x-15-in-medium-animal-trap-63008.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Low+Price+%28Main%29|Animal+Trap|63008&utm_source =google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=swvr3SjGu|pcrid|32460 8586713|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|63008|&pgrid =61761369021&ptaid=aud-466777369374la-299541355368&pcid=1425851011&gclid=CjwKCAjwk7rmBRA aEiwAhDGhxATEi4oSkeeHlGWE0vkJzE8d0ZS_ihv6i2Yraibxf Un2VUUSTWh5dhoCkGAQAvD_BwE
        No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Did you locate the hole where they came in?

Comment

I trapped one in a Havaheart trap too. Ideally you should close off all his entry points first.... unless you plan to kill it. Otherwise he’ll just keep coming back for a free meal.
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post

I stand corrected. Should have remembered where I am positing. I thought of it, but would then have to recover the squirrel or it would stink
              Squirrel tastes good. Should want to recover it anyways.

Comment

He will usually go out during the day . This would be the time to seal where he got in .

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
                  He will usually go out during the day . This would be the time to seal where he got in .
                  Did that once about this same time of the year(May). And one morning I saw the squirrel trying to naw through the wood block I used to cover the hole in the roof eaves. Ended up using the method in post #2 Then a day or so later I heard movement coming from that area in the roof. I removed the wood block, and in a moment, several baby squirrels crawled out.(Collected them, and gave them to a rehab center. Or maybe made a tender squirrel stew, can't remember )
                  Point is, this time of year the squirrels have made nests, and are having young. So you may already have a nest of young in there.So getting rid of the adult squirrel, may not entirely solve your problem.
                  Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                  Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

When i bought my house i had a few of those little bastards in my attic. I put a trap up there and i could hear them messing with the trap so i figured i would set up a old baby monitor facing the trap.this little shit was just messing with me in the camera.

Comment

If you opt to kill them, do not use poison. Rats-With-Busy-Tails (or any other rodents) eat the poison, then crawl into some nook or cranny to die and if you don't find em - man do they stink up your house as they rot.
                        Retired and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
                          Um, yeah, I've got a story about that...

So, my wife hears noises in the attic, and I go up there during the day, and seal the hole after searching around a bit finding no sign of life. Two days later, the now probably starving squirrel sees the glint of light below the stairs and jumps down into my upstairs hallway. He hides on top of a corner cabinet there for a day, and then decides to try to find a way out. Well, my wife spots it and calls me screaming. She's chasing it with a broom downstairs, and it sees the cat condo as a way up to get out of reach. It then jumps up, lands on the cat, looks around, and then climbs up to the top before realizing it is a dead end, and then jumps back down, leaving the cat completely confused but unphased. Eventually she gets it to jump out a window.

The next week, we discover that it had gotten back in through the same spot. I sealed the original hole with a large blob of spray foam, liberally filled with hot pepper flakes. Well, the pepper did nothing.

So, this time, I fired dozens of framing nails through a strip of plywood, and used that to fill the hole with the nail bed facing outwards to discourage them. I went up to the attic and saw a tail leave the hole. Heard a noise, and chased another squirrel under a box. I lifted the box, and it made a break for the exit, which I then sealed, again with lots of foam (it was in an awful spot to reach, and I had a 3' great stuff gun handy). That was when I discovered that there was a THIRD squirrel up there, who only decided to make its presence known after the hole was sealed. It too made a bee line for the hole, and ended up with a face full of great stuff. I jumped out of the attic, and ran to the store to get a trap.

Well, the next day, my wife finds the little guy in the trap, and our attic has been squirrel free since then, but the lesson here is that squirrels hide very well.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

Um, yeah, I've got a story about that...

So, my wife hears noises in the attic, and I go up there during the day, and seal the hole after searching around a bit finding no sign of life. Two days later, the now probably starving squirrel sees the glint of light below the stairs and jumps down into my upstairs hallway. He hides on top of a corner cabinet there for a day, and then decides to try to find a way out. Well, my wife spots it and calls me screaming. She's chasing it with a broom downstairs, and it sees the cat condo as a way up to get out of reach. It then jumps up, lands on the cat, looks around, and then climbs up to the top before realizing it is a dead end, and then jumps back down, leaving the cat completely confused but unphased. Eventually she gets it to jump out a window.

The next week, we discover that it had gotten back in through the same spot. I sealed the original hole with a large blob of spray foam, liberally filled with hot pepper flakes. Well, the pepper did nothing.

So, this time, I fired dozens of framing nails through a strip of plywood, and used that to fill the hole with the nail bed facing outwards to discourage them. I went up to the attic and saw a tail leave the hole. Heard a noise, and chased another squirrel under a box. I lifted the box, and it made a break for the exit, which I then sealed, again with lots of foam (it was in an awful spot to reach, and I had a 3' great stuff gun handy). That was when I discovered that there was a THIRD squirrel up there, who only decided to make its presence known after the hole was sealed. It too made a bee line for the hole, and ended up with a face full of great stuff. I jumped out of the attic, and ran to the store to get a trap.

Well, the next day, my wife finds the little guy in the trap, and our attic has been squirrel free since then, but the lesson here is that squirrels hide very well.
                            Sorry, but I can't help but roll on the floor reading this. Reminds me of Christmas vacation..I would have paid a fortune to be a bystander!!!!

Comment

I had an aunt with squirrels in her attack. She was sweet and fun but I never left the kids with her.

Comment

Working...
                              X