Local Lumber Yards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Lumber Yards

I'm resurfacing a deck that the previous homeowner abused/let go to shit. I'm tired of getting shit wood from Home Cheapo, wondering where you all would recommend. I know there's a bunch of 84 Lumbers around, but I know they're another chain and I'm not sure if that means more shit wood.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm out in Shirley.

Ive had some success with Family Lumber in Bethpage. They also deliver for like 25$ which is awesome. Riverhead building supply is also reputable and the cost is usually on par with HD but much better quality stuff

Comment

I love KLEET Lumber and they're my go to. They're in Huntington but I know they have gone out to Center Moriches for deliveries. Riverhead building supply will also work. Riverhead has several locations.

That said, I'll add my 2 cents. Any #2 pressure treated these days pretty much sucks. If you're refacing, you'll have options from the inexpensive pressure treated, to IPE, to composite. There are some composites out there that are fairly inexpensive. Note that if you use the deck in winter, I'd forget composite- slippery as shit.

If you're going with wood, make sure you try to get #1 grade. I used #2 for my structure and it wasn't great. The lumber from Kleet was okay, 1000x's better than home dopey, but wasn't perfect. I got my composite from No Maintenance Decking. They had the best price. They also have the pressure treated wood for the structure and assuming the facing if you want. They have #1 grade which should be a bit better quality. I'm sure the pros on here can shed more light as to whether or not it's worth it.

IMHO after spending a stupid amount of money and time building my deck, if I hit a small lotto jackpot tomorrow, I'd rip it all apart and just do pavers.

Comment

I'm not a fan of composites. They get way too hot in the sun unless you get a light color, then they just look dirty all the time.

Comment

I've heard good things about Speonk lumber. Also Allers are good people, but it's back in Lindenhurst.

Riverhead Building Supply is kind of the big dog on the block for lumberyards. They bought a few.

Agree with what was said by Diesel1 .......wood today sucks. If I personally did a wood deck i'd be looking at Ipe or Redwood, but if you're patching in just keep on patching in.
          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

How many sq ft you looking to resurface? If a small amount and you're patient, you can hover craigslist and get leftovers from bigger jobs. IPE is a bitch to work with (Gonna have to pre-drill every screew) and go through bits galore, but if you're doing a couple hundred square feet, it may be worth it. Very easy to rent a UHAUL trailer or box truck for cheap and go pick up the material.

Comment

Riverhead building supply
              stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
                How many sq ft you looking to resurface? If a small amount and you're patient, you can hover craigslist and get leftovers from bigger jobs. IPE is a bitch to work with (Gonna have to pre-drill every screew) and go through bits galore, but if you're doing a couple hundred square feet, it may be worth it. Very easy to rent a UHAUL trailer or box truck for cheap and go pick up the material.
                The deck is 14' x 30', with most of the surface boards looking rough and damaged after 10 years without stain or treatment. There's some cupping on most of the boards, and 0 spacing, so it looks like the boards may have been installed dry without spacing originally and pooled water. Posts, beams and joists are all still solid. Plus there's 2 big areas by the stairs where they must have had child/pet gates swinging because a giant arc is gouged across the boards. Rather than try and patch in and match the existing wood (almost impossible unless I use a solid stain which I'd rather not), I just want to replace all the surface boards and rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                  I've heard good things about Speonk lumber. Also Allers are good people, but it's back in Lindenhurst.

Riverhead Building Supply is kind of the big dog on the block for lumberyards. They bought a few.

Agree with what was said by Diesel1 .......wood today sucks. If I personally did a wood deck i'd be looking at Ipe or Redwood, but if you're patching in just keep on patching in.
                  I'll give Speonk a call since they're right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
                    ^^This^^^

Comment

They all suck. They'll deliver it at the wrong time. They'll dump it in the wrong place. It'll be the wrong material from the wrong yard. I fucking hate them all.

The other day I ordered from Riverhead. The clerk asks me when I want it delivered. I tell him afternoon, I'll be on another job all morning. I get the phone call at 10 AM that it's in the driveway, ticket says 10 AM delivery. So I go to one of my buds who runs the Northport yard and I'm talking to him. He looks at all the trucks loaded for the next morning deliveries and says, "All those PM deliveries are ready to roll." And I tell him he's going to piss off each and every one of those PM deliveries. He shakes his head and agrees with me. It's a fucked up antiquated supply chain that hasn't improved since the 1870's.

Comment

Home Depot does sell some good lumber. Their standard grade is adequate. Sometimes it is crooked, bent, split, etc.

The personal problem I have, is buying their premium grade, when their standard grade is so much cheaper. If they only sold their premium grade, I would say it is a great place to go for good lumber at a fair price.

Comment

East Islip Lumber
                          Better to have A gun in your hand, then a Cop on the phone

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
                            Yup. Good quality, competitive pricing.

Comment

I've been using Riverhead since they bought Nassau Suffolk. You think you're just doing a resurface job right now. Better prepare yourself for some framing too. Once you pull the deck boards you will probably find the joists have begun to rot where the nails or screws are. Today's PT lumber sucks big donkey. I just pulled up about 400sq/ft of composite decking to rebuild the entire subframe for a customer. The deck was probably about 10 years old. Granted the guy that built it sucked. Ran the dryer exhaust under it and secured the decking with construction adhesive and finish nails.
                              NRA Life member

Comment

Working...
                              X