Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central A/C bit the dust?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Central A/C bit the dust?

    I was hanging a couple of ceiling fans today and was turning the circuit breakers off one-by-one until I found the one that had to be turned off (at the same time labeling each one). All my breakers are on now, but the central A/C won't turn on and I see that there is no power going to the Nest thermostat - Nest's common wire is wired to the evaporator coil unit in the attic. I have tried resetting (off/on) the A/C's circuit breaker. Is it a coincidence that the central A/C is kaput or I could have done something stupid?

    #2
    PM FastPhil. Hands down the fastest and best in the game. Chocolate cake and McD’s will make him come faster.

    Comment


      #3
      I had something similar happen with a Refrigerator. Unplugged it to paint behind it, plugged it back in and bang the coil went.

      Def get some cake for Phil. He will square u away

      Comment


        #4
        Did you look to see if there is a separate breaker or reset at the unit? Is the stat dead? Is there a battery backup on it

        Comment


          #5
          My central A/C has two separate breakers. one for the air handler and one for the outside unit (that one is a double breaker). Make sure all the breakers are on all the way.
          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

          Comment


            #6
            First are you 100% sure the breaker is good.. did ypu test breake correctly?
            If good you can jump out thermostat wires see if unit works.. narrow it down

            Comment


              #7
              90% of the time the transformer for the control circuit which includes the thermostat is in the air handler . You need to confirm you have power to that ,then 24-27 volts coming out of the transformer . Sometimes the installer will break the R wire with a float switch in the auxiliary pan under the unit . If so check to make sure it didn't get disturbed . If you jump R & G at the thermostat does the fan come on ? How easy is the access to the air handler . Not as limber as I used to be . PM me your town & number . If your close I'll swing by now .

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                My central A/C has two separate breakers. one for the air handler and one for the outside unit (that one is a double breaker). Make sure all the breakers are on all the way.
                All the breakers inside are on. When it comes to electicity, I have 2 left thumbs. 😁

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                  Did you look to see if there is a separate breaker or reset at the unit? Is the stat dead? Is there a battery backup on it
                  The thermostat is dead... The battery drains out after a manual recharge.
                  Do you mean a breaker in the attic? I can go up and check it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post

                    The thermostat is dead... The battery drains out after a manual recharge.
                    Do you mean a breaker in the attic? I can go up and check it.
                    If no power to the thermostat doesn't that suggest it's not the unit?
                    Doesn't the power for the thermostat come from elsewhere?
                    "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post

                      The thermostat is dead... The battery drains out after a manual recharge.
                      Do you mean a breaker in the attic? I can go up and check it.
                      I defer to Phil. He is the resident HVAC savant.



                      (But, Yes)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

                        If no power to the thermostat doesn't that suggest it's not the unit?
                        Doesn't the power for the thermostat come from elsewhere?
                        The common wire to the thermostat is coming from the evaporator unit in the attic.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post

                          The common wire to the thermostat is coming from the evaporator unit in the attic.
                          But the power flows to the the evaporator and it's attached there as well right?
                          Meaning, the power is attached going into the unit
                          So if the A/C was completely shot, the thermostat would still be powered
                          "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post

                            The thermostat is dead... The battery drains out after a manual recharge.
                            Do you mean a breaker in the attic? I can go up and check it.
                            The thermostat has a removable rechargeable battery? No corrosion present? Replace the battery and cross your two left thumbs.
                            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

                              The thermostat has a removable rechargeable battery? No corrosion present? Replace the battery and cross your two left thumbs.
                              He has a Nest.
                              it has a lithium battery that is charged by the system.
                              it is not changeable by the user
                              "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X