Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

He has a Nest.
    it has a lithium battery that is charged by the system.
    it is not changeable by the user
    Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. You kids and you space age gadgets!
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

But but ....I can check & change my house temp from anywhere in the world from my phone, even when I am driving! It can rat me out to the power company too! Lol

J/K

Technology CAN be a double edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

But but ....I can check & change my house temp from anywhere in the world from my phone, even when I am driving! It can rat me out to the power company too! Lol

J/K

Technology CAN be a double edged sword.
        LOL, I get your point and agree with you about them spying on us. I like to check on my kid and wife when they crank up the heat waaaaay up. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post

LOL, I get your point and agree with you about them spying on us. I like to check on my kid and wife when they crank up the heat waaaaay up. :-p
          You can program it to require a password so they can't do that.
          Of course, your wife will kill you
          "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

You can program it to require a password so they can't do that.
            Of course, your wife will kill you
            My Honeywell stats have the settings locked out so my heat can't go above 72 and the cooling below 70 . My daughters a smart kid though and went online to figure out how to change it .

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I have one too.
              Much better than the old fashioned programmable thermostats.
              Especially for someone like me that has a changing schedule.

I get a kick out of the people that are concerned with it " listening in" and "tracking me" etc.
              Anyone worried about that better get off the internet and get rid of their smart phone and smart TV

Comment

Go away set it and leave it.. keep it simple always worked just fine.. invest in properly insulating your home..

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

My Honeywell stats have the settings locked out so my heat can't go above 72 and the cooling below 70 . My daughters a smart kid though and went online to figure out how to change it .
                  In all honesty, if you have a newer, 13 seer or more efficient unit, how much extra would it cost to run at 68 degrees vs 70 degrees for the cooling season? Figure May 15 - Sept 30. What could it actually be for the average 1800-2000 sft home? ....$200 bucks or so ??? Honest question because I only speculate and you can't go year over year bc ambient temps change. You have way more experience with this stuff which is why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

In all honesty, if you have a newer, 13 seer or more efficient unit, how much extra would it cost to run at 68 degrees vs 70 degrees for the cooling season? Figure May 15 - Sept 30. What could it actually be for the average 1800-2000 sft home? ....$200 bucks or so ??? Honest question because I only speculate and you can't go year over year bc ambient temps change. You have way more experience with this stuff which is why I ask.
                    I have no clue what the saving will be . I keep mine between 72&74 and because I didn't oversize the unit it keeps the humidity down making lower temps unnecessary . It helped a lot when I resided the house and used 3/4 real tuff board adding another R5 and sealing every hole and crack making it a good vapor barrier . The unit cycles a lot less now and then I added solar panels which blocks the sun from beating on most of the roof
                    Last edited by FastPhil; 05-20-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
                      Go away set it and leave it.. keep it simple always worked just fine.. invest in properly insulating your home..
                      All of the above.
                      Lowering your heat and raising the temp when cooling when no one is home can save big $
                      But you're right. Insulating your home properly is more important . But not only insulate, you need to seal any air leaks and there are tons of them in the average home.
                      Air leaks are bad.
                      My Dad taught me how to check and how to seal everything. Very important.
                      I also built an insulated box for my attic ladder.
                      People fail to realize that, that uninsulated area is a giant open chimney just sucking the heat out
                      I read a Dept energy report that for the average home that ladder area uninsulated is equal to cutting your attic insulation by like 40%.
                      So if you have R-39 but that area is open its as if you only like having R-24
                      Big place people forget is the crawlspace. The joists are sitting on a sill and you have a 2 x 10 or a 2 x12 that's uninsulated.

That's like an R value of 3.
                      You can look on line how to properly insulate it,
                      Basically I sealed it with caulk, and installed 2 inch rigid foam insulation to the wood. Has to be Extruded Polystyrene (XPS).
                      Then I sealed it with great stuff and then I cut then i cut Rockwool insulation and placed it in the cavity.
                      rockwool is fireproof, breathes and moisture resistant.
                      The difference was immediately noticeable. My oil burner ran less, no drafts any more and my heating bill went down.
                      Not sure about my electric since i have solar and produce enough energy that my bills are like $13 per month/

Comment

Reducing/eliminating the air leakage is more important than the insulation, especially for the winter season. You can insulated up the wazoo, but if you have drafty walls, windows etc, you are going to feel it on your skin AND your wallet, big-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

That's an interesting question.
                          I know they say it matters but i don;t know how much.
                          i whipped out my googlefu and found some websites.
                          I actually think your guess of $200 might e in line. I would guess more closer to $300 or $400 for our area in your example but that's just my guess

Here's a good article. Seems it's not a linear thing. Depends on the temp differential.

according to the article you could save about 25% with 2 degrees
                          They used an example of a home in Indiana.
                          They say you can save 25 percent by cooling to 77 degrees instead of 75 degrees, ....

On the other hand, lowering the temperature 3 degrees from 75 degrees to 72 degrees could increase cooling costs 40 percent to 50 percent,
                          https://www.achrnews.com/articles/94...ficant-savings
                          Last edited by Aquabach; 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I also built an insulated box for my attic ladder. People fail to realize that, that uninsulated area is a giant open chimney just sucking the heat out
                            Is this how you made yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GFFQtV8Yo

Comment

I should have updated my thread earlier and thanked FastPhil faster :-)

He came to my house the same day and took care of the problem. It was my stupid mistake - the circuit breaker was on, but needed to be switched off and back on to "click into place". How embarrassing on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post
                                I should have updated my thread earlier and thanked FastPhil faster :-)

He came to my house the same day and took care of the problem. It was my stupid mistake - the circuit breaker was on, but needed to be switched off and back on to "click into place". How embarrassing on my part.
                                Yeah, but why did the breaker trip?
                                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X