Central AC question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central AC question

I've PM'ed FastPhil but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

I turned on my Central AC on just now and the condenser seemed 'slow' when I went outside to look at it. Usually there's a gush of air coming into the house from the vents and I didn't hear it when I turned on the system. So I turned everything off, went to the panel and turned off all the circuit breakers. Waited 10 minutes and then turned it back on again. The air handler was able to turn on, but when I tried to flip the AC condenser, the breaker wouldn't go on. I left it at that and waiting to hear from FastPhil or someone else that has an idea.

Thanks

When my outside unit went it started with increased rattling noise. Yours is just slow but quiet? Did you check it to make sure there isn’t any plant growth or other debris inside? It doesn’t take much to prevent the fan from turning freely.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
      When my outside unit went it started with increased rattling noise. Yours is just slow but quiet? Did you check it to make sure there isn’t any plant growth or other debris inside? It doesn’t take much to prevent the fan from turning freely.
      Yeah, I looked inside when it stopped and there's nothing in there. I'm worried about the breaker not turning back on again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade21 View Post

Yeah, I looked inside when it stopped and there's nothing in there. I'm worried about the breaker not turning back on again.
        It has to be pushed all the way to the off position (not just where it ends up when it trips) before it will reset. Try that.

Comment

I've PM'ed FastPhil but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

I turned on my Central AC on just now and the condenser seemed 'slow' when I went outside to look at it. Usually there's a gush of air coming into the house from the vents and I didn't hear it when I turned on the system. So I turned everything off, went to the panel and turned off all the circuit breakers. Waited 10 minutes and then turned it back on again. The air handler was able to turn on, but when I tried to flip the AC condenser, the breaker wouldn't go on. I left it at that and waiting to hear from FastPhil or someone else that has an idea.

Thanks
          The gush of air is from the air handler (inside unit). The outside unit fan is all about cooling not air speed.

Comment

Yeah pushed it all the way off then when I turn it back on the power dims for a quick second and it won't click back to ON. It stays in the middle.

Comment

Yeah pushed it all the way off then when I turn it back on the power dims for a quick second and it won't click back to ON. It stays in the middle.
              At your thermostat, shut off the cooling part (might be labeled “system”). Then turn on the fan switch to see if that’s still working. Mine has a separate breaker for each unit, inside and outside. At least you might narrow down where the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

At your thermostat, shut off the cooling part (might be labeled “system”). Then turn on the fan switch to see if that’s still working. Mine has a separate breaker for each unit, inside and outside. At least you might narrow down where the problem is.

Yea the fan is turning on now.

Comment

That's not good . What's happening is the relay for the compressor is in the condenser but is staying pulled in because it's controlled by the thermostat and power from transformer in the air handler . When your trying to reset the breaker your putting power right to the condenser . Do Not Attempt To Hold The Breaker From Tripping . You have a short in the condenser somewhere and hopefully not the compressor motor . The compressor has at least a five year warranty . See you when I get back . May be able to squeeze you in late Wednesday . PM me your number
                  Last edited by FastPhil; 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Yea the fan is turning on now.
                    The air coming in through the vents will not be cooled as long as the outside unit won’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

That's not good . What's happening is the relay for the compressor is in the condenser but is staying pulled in because it's controlled by the thermostat and power from transformer in the air handler . When your trying to reset the breaker your putting power right to the condenser . Do Not Attempt To Hold The Breaker From Tripping . You have a short in the condenser somewhere and hopefully not the compressor motor . The compressor has at least a five year warranty . See you when I get back
                      yeah, I wasn't going to touch it at all. I knew something is up. Funny thing is that it worked until I wasn't getting any cooling. THen I shut down the system and turned everything off. Then the breaker thing happened when I tried to turn it on. I turned on the handler first and then tried the compressor. Won't mess with it anymore until then.

Comment

Working...
                      X