Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framing around fireplace question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Framing around fireplace question

    Hey guys, I’m framing around my fireplace but was wondering if I have to leave a certain amount of space on the outside of the fireplace and the wood framing? I framed it out so that the wood is t touching but only about an 1/8th gap between the brick and wood. Good to go? Have to change it?

    #2

    Comment


      #3
      I'd look up the town code. there's usually a minimum distance that any combustible materials need to be from the fireplace.

      What do you plan on covering the fascia with? If going with stone, I'd probably just use cement board floor to ceiling and for as wide as called for.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
        I'd look up the town code. there's usually a minimum distance that any combustible materials need to be from the fireplace.

        What do you plan on covering the fascia with? If going with stone, I'd probably just use cement board floor to ceiling and for as wide as called for.
        /\ This. I remember putting air space and sheet metal around the fireplace I put in many years ago, but materials have changed. Check your building code
        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

        Comment


          #5
          I do not think the town has any codes for clearance to combustibles on hearth length and width . If it is a prefab fireplace you would get the clearance specs form the manufacturer.
          Last edited by Shamuscull; 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IR...and-fireplaces.

            https://www.hearth.com/talk/

            The hearth forum is usually pretty good also

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
              I'd look up the town code. there's usually a minimum distance that any combustible materials need to be from the fireplace.

              What do you plan on covering the fascia with? If going with stone, I'd probably just use cement board floor to ceiling and for as wide as called for.
              I put cement board over where I framed it out, above that was plaster so I sheetrocked with 5/8’s but that is 6+ inches from touching any part of the fireplace. I’ve read online it calls for 2 inches of space but where I framed it and covered it with cement board I don’t think will get hot?

              Comment


                #8

                Comment


                  #9
                  Heres a copy of the code section for fireplaces from the 2015 International Residential Code that NYS follows (which most local municipalities have adopted). Hope it helps...

                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by joeydiver View Post
                    Heres a copy of the code section for fireplaces from the 2015 International Residential Code that NYS follows (which most local municipalities have adopted). Hope it helps...
                    Thanks Joey! If I’m reading this correctly, I’m good to go?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      2 inch clearance.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I would just use steel framing for the part directly around fireplace and finish with cement board.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Hard to tell from the photos without actually measuring it up myself, but you do need 2 inches of space between the framing and any masonry. As far as the mantle and trim goes that’s based on what’s in the highlighted sections.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Theory behind the 2 inch airspace is it acts as an insulation gap (think double pane windows) or if the fire brick or any mortar inside the box or chimney gets compromised and causes the heat from the fire to heat up the adjacent framing or worse yet have an ember or flame cause the framing to combust.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by joeydiver View Post
                              Theory behind the 2 inch airspace is it acts as an insulation gap (think double pane windows) or if the fire brick or any mortar inside the box or chimney gets compromised and causes the heat from the fire to heat up the adjacent framing or worse yet have an ember or flame cause the framing to combust.
                              Leave the space open? Or fill it with fireproof insulation?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X