School me on permit process brookhaven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on permit process brookhaven

Hopefully we can limit the sarcasm. Yes i know the town sucks but I have a big deck in the back of my house (i believe that's all properly documented). I want to extend my roof out over it and create a covered deck with a fireplace. I want to do it legit so that i have no worries about it if and when i sell the house. Can someone school me on the process.

P.s. i plan to do the work myself.
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sorry, I can't resist. I thought in Crookhaven you pin clumps of 100-dollar bills to the front of your shirt and visit the Zoning Board on their coffee break. Or did I get that wrong?

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Something very similar to this just over an existing deck rather than a patio

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Just do it

Comment

Originally posted by 1895guy View Post

Something very similar to this just over an existing deck rather than a patio

That looks really nice, and a great idea. Best of luck in your endeavor with the town.

Comment

We worked on this. Architect was required. Footing depths were critical. Hurricane requirements. Height of chimney. Electrical. Multiple trades were involved. Since you mention you are doing your self you must be very handy and up on regulations.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post
              We worked on this. Architect was required. Footing depths were critical. Hurricane requirements. Height of chimney. Electrical. Multiple trades were involved. Since you mention you are doing your self you must be very handy and up on regulations.
              What he said plus plans for the deck by the engineer or architect and you may have to collect the roof runoff into dry wells. You will need a new survey which they will compare to your existing CO’s. Anything that doesn’t have a CO will need one.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyy3tKPoVvM

Comment

Comment

i would just do it but my cousins just sold their house in Huntington and it cost them 60K+ to get things corrected because of lack of COs.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post
                      is that a built from scratch fireplace or one of the kits. Some of these companies have awesome contractor kits now.

Comment

I'm not in Brookhaven, but I have applied for a building permit.
                        You'll need an architect to draw up the plans/design (unless you can do it) to submit to the town. you will need an updated property survey (unless you have a recent one). If they approve your application & doc's you will get a building permit. They'll give you additional info once you receive you building permit. town inspector needs to be called to inspect different phases the job (footing, framing, electric, etc..) if you're doing the work yourself, you need to be aware/ adhere to the town codes.

If you intend to sell the house down the road and you don't have a C/O for the structure it could hold up the sale. The town could say fix it or worse- say tear it down because it does not meet code & still hit you with penalties.

I know someone that built a 2 story garage only to have to tear it down because his neighbor called the town on him. The structure wasn't to code and he built it w/o a permit.
                        Last edited by Mak00; 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

the town does know that architects don't know dick about making shit stand. they just know how to make it pretty lol. Sorry to any architects but im an engineer... were groomed to butt heads

Comment

Working...
                          X