Input Needed - DIY Outdoor Movie Screen on the cheap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input Needed - DIY Outdoor Movie Screen on the cheap

Looking to make an outdoor movie screen so my daughter and her neighborhood friends can watch movies one weeknight a week or so during the summer. I've researched cheapie projectors and have that somewhat covered, have the speaker, Blur Ray is easy enough or I'll download a movie and get a projector that can stream it. Question is the screen. Doesn't have to be crazy and yes I know you can buy. Ideally, I'd like it mounted on a brick wall. Size I have to work with 11' w x 9' high anything within those parameters will work - doesn't have to be those exact measurements. I was planning to research some more DIY ideas but why bother when there are better heads here.
    • Needs to be easily removable. I won't leave it up. It will be put up and removed after every screening.
    • If installed around a frame, it needs to be able to fold up to a smaller size. I'm not storing anything that size.
    • My goal would be to have some sort of hardware in the brick that's small and barely noticeable when no screen is attached and then the screen itself would roll on a PVC or something that I can lock in to the hardware at the same time creating some tension on the screen itself.
    The simpler, easier, effective, and cheaper the idea the better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sigman-8...8010/203217288
    Ben

Comment

Ebay has a ton of cheap portable screens that you can make work in your application .

Comment

Ive seen inflatable ones, but I use a large painters drop cloth hung from my gutters on back of house or on shed. Works well

Comment

Originally posted by DrBrianDDS View Post
          Ive seen inflatable ones, but I use a large painters drop cloth hung from my gutters on back of house or on shed. Works well
          I like the painters tarp drop cloth better that the tarp, as it will have no reflections like a shiny tarp would. I'd be happy to lend you one of mine, but they all have numerous colors
          of paint on them.......

Comment

I have a big old school pull down one like the ones that used to be in class rooms that I got from a yard sale, but I have used a drop cloth before I picked this up, there are even youtube videos on a easy rig that you make with pvc pipes and fittings that brakes down when you don't need it if you want to go the DIY rout.

Comment

Just a sheet of AC plywood painted white and screwed to the brick with 4 lead mollies? Seal the edges in case of rain?
              Steve
              People are crazy and times are strange
              I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
              I used to care but........ things have changed

Comment

7FE6D589-0395-4E97-8237-88A4023E61E9.jpeg This wasn’t cheap, but it’s really nice.
                Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

I just project it on to my sidings...

Comment

It’s not bad. You can’t really see the sidings when watching.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Amazon has a bunch of relatively cheap options. Used a white sheet till I bought one.

Comment

You could make a frame and stretch a canvas across it, Wing nuts and threaded studs etc. or you can buy that floor underlayment and paint it white
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Thanks gents.... didn't think so many have already done this.

What projectors you guys using? I found one that's 3500 or so lumens for under 300... supposedly it will be decent for a cheapie...

Comment

Originally posted by Loadingdockman View Post

I like the painters tarp drop cloth better that the tarp, as it will have no reflections like a shiny tarp would. I'd be happy to lend you one of mine, but they all have numerous colors
                            of paint on them.......
                            Sure, a white drop cloth will do, to an extent. It all depends on how far you want to take things, but looking on Amazon, I see 150 inch projector screens are under $30 for something that amounts to a wrinkle resistant tarp with grommet holes and some rope. One other advantage I can think of is that they're sewn to a 16:9 ratio to begin with.

Here's a good article on the subject:
                            https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...ection-screens
                            Last edited by rlitman; 05-21-2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

You're a good Dad.

Comment

Working...
                              X