No announcement yet.

Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason to possibly shy away from NG along the shore. LB only for now but I am sure it is coming to all communities along the shore. https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/long-beach-gas-valves-1.33451424

National Grid will install sensors in Long Beach that will allow the gas company to shut off natural gas service to individual homes during cases of flooding.

The Long Beach City Council approved the storm hardening project last week, which will start with an agreement to add wireless router systems on 11 of the city’s light poles. The licensing agreement pays the city $270 per pole, with no charge to the city.

“Sending a small signal would eventually shut off natural gas to individual homes and preserve gas service to the rest of the city,” Long Beach Assistant Corporation Counsel Greg Kalnitsky said. “This can confine flooding to specific areas to avoid a complete shutdown.”

National Grid serves 9,500 homes and businesses in Long Beach and all lie in flood zones designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, National Grid senior counsel Ben Weisel said.

Flooding during storms such as superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Irene caused extensive damage to National Grid equipment and pipes. Flooding can cause life-threatening danger when water gets into gas distribution lines and exposed pilot lights, Weisel said.

National Grid had to shut off gas service to entire neighborhoods or streets during previous flooding, but now plans to install automatic gas shut-off valves at homes that would be triggered by more than one foot of standing water.

“If a Sandy-like event happens tomorrow, entire neighborhoods could lose gas service,” Weisel said. “If this is completed, we would only have to go by house-by-house shutoff.”

National Grid officials said storm corrosion in pipes can take years to repair.

The new shut-off valves would allow the company to turn off gas remotely from their headquarters during extreme weather events, reports of gas odors or needed repairs.

The sensors will generally remain off, but can be activated using a frequency equivalent to a cell phone call.

Ben

Comment

They shut off the gas at one of my houses during Sandy. Did not turn it on for days later and needed an appointment so they could check all pilot lights before they would turn it on

Comment

two blocks north of Merrick Rd in Matzahpizza. did not lose electric in either Irene or Sandy and gas was not shut off either time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

How big of a genset are you thinking of getting? In your case, with a good supply of propane AND diesel, I am on the fence for this one. You know me as a hands-on type of guy, and I readily admit, I know next to nothing about diesels(other than they are awesome bruts), but I started tinkering with gas engines when I was 12, and have never stopped since. Therefore, I would probably go propane, so if it failed, I have a chance of fixing it on my own. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
          If you get a diesel you can get a regular tank like for a oil burner and have it filled by the same company . Treat it and it it will be fine, and if you DO have a oil burner
          you can rotate tanks to keep it fresh .Have gas in the house and no oil? A guy like me would come once a year and buy it from you and run in a truck.

Comment

A couple of quick comments:
            In the NE blackout in 2004 I was like the Warlock in Die Hard .... I was the only one with a working genny for quite some distance. It was not hard to find me! By Sandy I was 1 of 4 on my block alone!

Following Sandy, AFAIK the system to shut off all NG south of Sunrise Hwy is installed & operating. There are also plans to install a similar system to cut off everything south of the Southern State which would be required in the event of a direct hit from a Cat 4 hurricane. [Cat 5 would flood up to Hempstead Tpke if it were to happen which they say can't happen due to the water temps being too low ..... we'll see!]

The bottom line is, you can't count on public utilities even in the event of a natural disaster & definitely not in a SHTF situation! You need local storage. I have NG but was thinking of burying a propane tank .... propane stores well.

OTOH, diesel/heating oil wold be far more available in a post apocalyptic situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sport454 View Post
              ...Following Sandy, AFAIK the system to shut off all NG south of Sunrise Hwy is installed & operating. There are also plans to install a similar system to cut off everything south of the Southern State which would be required in the event of a direct hit from a Cat 4 hurricane. [Cat 5 would flood up to Hempstead Tpke if it were to happen which they say can't happen due to the water temps being too low ..... we'll see!]...
              I don't know where you got this BS from, but I'd love to know what you're smoking.

Comment

A couple of quick comments:

OTOH, diesel/heating oil wold be far more available in a post apocalyptic situation.
                I don't know how well diesel stores compared to regular gasoline, how to preserve it for the long(er) haul, etc.

I presume it eventually has to be rotated so unless you have other diesel powered things to use the fuel it seems a waste.
                I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

I don't know where you got this BS from, but I'd love to know what you're smoking.
                  LOL. I'm smoking Oliva Serie V double robusto. Great smoke

Which part of my post are you in disagreement with?

To be completely honest, I did get all that information 2nd or 3rd hand, hence the AFAIK

Comment

Years ago, GB said the Obama administration was forcing gas utilities to change their distribution control values from mechanical to electric.

GB pontificated why as that would make them more vulnerable to both natural disasters and an EMP event.
                    I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                    I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

LOL. I'm smoking Oliva Serie V double robusto. Great smoke

Which part of my post are you in disagreement with?

To be completely honest, I did get all that information 2nd or 3rd hand, hence the AFAIK
                      Every single part of what I quoted is tinfoil hat grade BS.

Comment

Mitchel Field/NCC, whatever is slightly north of Hempstead Tpke.
                        2002_april_10th_mitchell_field_hanger_3_air_museum.jpg

If water is making it to 90 feet ASL, just abandon Long Island, because there won't be much left.
                        Steve

Comment

When ?
                          NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

So following the last wild weather another neighbor is having an NG backup generator installed.

The plumber asked ....... "why are you counting on another public utility when one public utility has already failed?"

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm??????

Comment

So following the last wild weather another neighbor is having an NG backup generator installed.

The plumber asked ....... "why are you counting on another public utility when one public utility has already failed?"

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm??????
                              Because the power lines are strung on poles and those lines run though tree branches. Gas lines are underground... where the power lines should be as well.
                              In 1888 NYC suffered over 200 deaths from downed power lines during that famous blizzard. As a result, NYC placed the power lines underground.

ae4f5e2b622860254856976b591246e5.jpg
                              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Where I am so close to the water, they can keep that shit in the air, right where I can see them. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X