PSEG Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSEG Offer

I keep getting offers from PSEG about a warranty for the equipment outside of my house. I assume this refers to the meters and related equipment but am not sure. We've been in this house for close to 50 years and as far as I can remember haven't had any trouble with that year. Then again, 50 years is a long time and whatever year they are talking about may be ready to crap out. Do any of you know anything about this? Is it worthwhile?
    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

I got something about signing up for a central A/C home warranty. Is that what it is?
    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
      I keep getting offers from PSEG about a warranty for the equipment outside of my house. I assume this refers to the meters and related equipment but am not sure. We've been in this house for close to 50 years and as far as I can remember haven't had any trouble with that year. Then again, 50 years is a long time and whatever year they are talking about may be ready to crap out. Do any of you know anything about this? Is it worthwhile?
      I received the same offer. PSEG periodically fiddles with my meter to make sure they are being paid. I declined. I never looked into it, but I imagine my homeowner's insurance would apply, if there was every a problem with my "outside equipment" which PSEG did not cause or was otherwise responsible for.

Comment

Yea I got it. Reality is to replace your whole system outside will cost about 5k to have someone do it. I’ll take my chances lol

Comment

I keep getting them from Homeserve about covering the gas line. I recently got the one from PSEG that you are referring to. I guess it’s a matter of how crazy you want to to get with insurance. They prey on your fears about something going wrong, what if, etc. The chances of anyone actually making a claim are so slim, the companies make out big time.

My opinion, you can’t insure everything. Do what you are comfortable with. Certain things you just pay for if or when they go bad.

Comment

Does it end up with them replacing your present meter etc with one they can dial down when it suits them?
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Yeah I got the same offer as well. It is for the replacement costs for the outside portion of your service. So you're looking at down from the drop connections, the meter pan, and the lower service cable to the panel. You would be hard pressed to find somebody that would even bend you over for 2K. No thanks, I'll take a pass.

As for gas (national grid), I have never seen a similar offer, due to they are responsible up to the meter. As far as I know from experience, all services 50yrs and older, especially ones with meters inside the house, were sleeved/replaced with plastic, and meters relocated outside to shield them from lawsuits if/when your house blows up off its foundation.

Furnace and A/C systems, that's why we have Fastphil

Comment

I got a letter from them recently. It was for an outfit called HomeServe. It's a maintenance contract.

I don't take out maintenance contracts. The response from companies like that usually sucks because they know you have no alternative. You've already paid and you can wait 3 days to get your AC fixed in the middle of a heat wave. When something breaks that I can't fix, the first guy to show up gets the job.
                Research shows that 67% of people who use the term "research shows" are just making shit up.

Comment

That's about what I expected. Thanks guys.
                  "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                  Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                  Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Got the same thing.

Decided to sign up for it. For now at least.
                    I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                    I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

I don't buy any warranties. Most of them are bullshit.

Comment

I bought a Homeserve contract a few years ago, it covered Heat, AC, HWH. Included is an annual start up, filters and a general once over. Seems like too much to pay for simple shit but since I’d been having issues w my central AC I gave it a shot. They’ve been to the house 3 times and most recently installed some type of sensor control that prevents my AC from freezing up.
                        Between labor and parts I’m way ahead. YMMV. Normally I don’t touch these kinds of things but my AC issues pushed towards taking the shot.

Comment

I’ve received both those letters. Didn’t sign up for either of the services. Warranty/guarantee holders have you by the shorthairs and make you wait for repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                            ...As for gas (national grid), I have never seen a similar offer, due to they are responsible up to the meter. As far as I know from experience, all services 50yrs and older, especially ones with meters inside the house, were sleeved/replaced with plastic, and meters relocated outside to shield them from lawsuits if/when your house blows up off its foundation...
                            Not all yet. My parents are on the list for just that work some-time this summer.

Comment

It's through an outside company. Read the fine print. Company pays PSEG for your contact info and gives a kick back to PSEG. You've been bought and sold yet again. When something breaks PSEG will tell you to contact the outside company.

Comment

Working...
                              X