My rainwater recovery system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rainwater recovery system.

After a week of hot weather and busting my chops the system is finally done. All tested and no leaks.

I'm sure some of you guys have set up something like this in the past, so let me know how you think it came out and if you have any questions or suggestions.

I1 paint.jpg

All of the totes are wrapped in black plastic to help stop algae growth. The vertical pipes in the yellow are a first flush system. They will catch the first couple of gallons of water to help keep the system clean. They have NPT plugs at the bottom that are slightly loose so they will drain after a day or so to be ready for the next rain. The 3" to 4" adapters in orange on top of the end two totes have been opened up to come apart easily and have a fine mesh sink strainer in them. The Fernco clamps allow me to lift up the pipe to get to them easily for cleaning. (they are the second level of filter).

I2 paint.jpg

Here is another view of the first flush and belled out area that houses the sink strainers. The filter in blue outline is an 80 mesh screen filter to help protect the on demand RV water pump which will be attached by hose to the blue 3/4" hose fittings.

image3.jpeg

Here you can see how I have a screen over the 3" to 4" adapter I cut at an angle to help wash of any leaves that might fall onto it.

Just a couple of zoomed in pics.

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Each end tote has a 2" overflow pipe coming out of the side and the center tote has a shitload of very small holes drilled into the cap.

I put ball valves on each tote so I can remove one without draining the system and when winterizing I can remove the Fernco clamp to make sure no water remains in the pipe (pitching some of the was difficult and I don't want issues).

The NPT plug at the bottom of the first flush system will also be removed when I winterize it.

The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Not bad for a redneck.

Looks like you busted your ass and came away with a nice job, 👍

I know there is plenty of flex designed into what you built, but are the horizontal runs in photos 2 & 3 going to sag more than you’d like when the sun beats on them? A down facing clevis hanger and a piece of rod running down to a flange or plate on the deck would prevent too much movement on the joints, especially the stresses on up and downstream turns in the lines.
    Black pipe eats heat.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
      Not bad for a redneck.

Looks like you busted your ass and came away with a nice job, 👍

I know there is plenty of flex designed into what you built, but are the horizontal runs in photos 2 & 3 going to sag more than you’d like when the sun beats on them? A down facing clevis hanger and a piece of rod running down to a flange or plate on the deck would prevent too much movement on the joints, especially the stresses on up and downstream turns in the lines.
      Black pipe eats heat.

Just my $0.02
      It's been hot as Satan's ball sack down here this week.

I'm defiantly going to have to keep an eye on that area but needed those Ferncos to allow me to lift the belled out area that houses the sink strainer.

I tested it out today running a hose into the gutters on each side at full blast. The hose run was however 175' and it was only 5/8" hose. I figure I got about 6 gallons a minute at that distance, all downhill. The roof area is approximately 360 square feet total for 180 square feet per side. So far it has held up, time will tell what I have to do with that. I made the horizontal run so high so I can get in the back without ducking and still easily get a ladder in there. I might have created an issue though.
      The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

I'm not sure which I understand less, Oh Uncle Paul's post or:

"The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
          I'm not sure which I understand less, Oh Uncle Paul's post or:

I'm tired, try to keep up. For fucks sake. I managed to MS paint in outlines, you have any idea how hard that was for me to do?

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

I'm tired, try to keep up. For fucks sake. I managed to MS paint in outlines, you have any idea how hard that was for me to do?
            Dude, you lost me at the beginning of the first post - that stuff is WAY outside my knowledge.

The only MS paint I know is stuff like this:

Hopefully one day soon we'll be neighbors and you can esplane' all that mumbo-jumbo to me in laymen's terms.

"The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Dude, you lost me at the beginning of the first post - that stuff is WAY outside my knowledge.

The only MS paint I know is stuff like this:

Hopefully one day soon we'll be neighbors and you can esplane' all that mumbo-jumbo to me in laymen's terms.

I'll help you set one up, but not when it is as hot as it has been here this week.

I keep picking bad weeks. Last month, 90+, I leave, it goes to low 80s. Next week is the mid to high 70s. It hit 98 this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
              X