School me on electric service upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on electric service upgrade

After being in my house 20 years, I just found out about the hazards of a FPE Stab-Loc panel!

The service is presently 150 Amps. If I need to change out the panel, I might as well upgrade the service.

What is available for residential service on LI?
    What's involved?
    Permit?
    Inspection?
    Estimated cost?

Overhead lines. High Ranch. Holbrook, Brookhaven.

Thanks in advance!

Well I think you should use a licensed electrician for a multitude of reasons but that said my father in law & I upgraded the service in my house and I can barely change a light bulb and he is not an electrician. He is however very good with house wiring. I had a family friend over who is an electrician shortly after we finished and he remarked on what nice job was done before I told him who did it. Point is it can be done DIY but unless you have substantial knowledges/skill like my FIL it's prob best to hire a pro. The only advice I can give you about the install is that when you install the box and you finally ready to flip the switch on you should hold on tightly to the big bunch of wires in the back so they stay in place when the power goes through Them......

Comment

I have limited info for you as others will chime in soon. I also upgraded the same panel when I had a PV system installed. I did not upgrade service as 150 amps is enough. I had a 200 amp panel installed with a 150 amp main breaker which will give me the option in the future without having to swap the box. It is highly recommended if you have a Federal Pacific box that is part of the recall, that you have it replaced. I'm sure you know this hence your post. Apparently the breakers won't trip as well as possible arcing issues. Total cost was about $1600 but I also had a few other small jobs done. It was done by a licensed electrician. Permit, inspection? Maybe it was done when the PV system was installed but it was a completely separate job done prior so no permit or inspection that I'm aware of.

Comment

I haven't found any information about an actual recall on Stab-Loc. Was there one?
        What are the incremental options as far as amps?

Comment

My experience with Fed Pac breakers is that they never trip. I swear you can arc weld off a 15amp circuit.
          NRA Life member

Always looking for lead
          Wheel weights. lino type, ect
          PM me if you have or find some

Comment

Had mine done 7 years ago. Licensed electrician who did very clean work (Didn't know McFly at the time who does STELLAR work!!!

Moved the panel from mid basement to the far corner, upgraded from 100AMP to 200AMP.. electrician coordinated with National Grid to move the wires from bisecting my back yard to come off a pole adjacent to the side of the house. He did a great job but charged accordingly. I think I paid $2,200 or $2,300 back then. Well worth it as when I redo my kitchen, I can have it wired properly. As I redo rooms in my house, I rewire it and it's nice to have more breakers than I know what to do with.

Tip for bathrooms that I learned.....put outlets and lights on separate circuits. Even though 20 amp runs are used for the outlets and handle todays hair dryers, who knows what they will have in 10 years. When your wife trips the circuit with her hair dryer, she won't be left in the dark.
            The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

I'm having our resident Baby Daddy "Mcfly" upgrade my panel from 100 to a 200 unit. I'm hoping to get FastPhil to install an Central AC unit next fall. After he does my hot water and heating unit. Lol
              we have a wealth of talent on this site.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Now if only I knew where to a resident McElectrician to we are lucky to have here. Hmmmm..........

Mike, please PM me.

Thanks!

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Heartlessmcfly View Post
                    Pm sent
                    Speak of the devil!!
                    i hope you and the girls are having a GREAT time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SLYTAPEX View Post
                      The only advice I can give you about the install is that when you install the box and you finally ready to flip the switch on you should hold on tightly to the big bunch of wires in the back so they stay in place when the power goes through Them......
                      That shows you shouldn't be working on electrical panels............... You turn every breaker OFF, and only then turn the MAIN ON. Then one by one, you turn on each breaker. This way there is no surge, and nothing is going to blow up in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by Karpteach View Post
                        Speak of the devil!!
                        i hope you and the girls are having a GREAT time!!!
                        Typical irish girl. Doesn't know what a beach is and doesn't like the feeling of sand in her toes. The other girl is good. She's busy cooking the bun and the bun is cooking well. Thanks for asking
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Call SERV. +1 Brandon.
                          Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by Heartlessmcfly View Post

Typical irish girl. Doesn't know what a beach is and doesn't like the feeling of sand in her toes. The other girl is good. She's busy cooking the bun and the bun is cooking well. Thanks for asking
                            Poor Girl! Even in the shade I can see the remains of the SPF 100 on her!
                            The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

200 amp sufficient for most residences
                              permit yes
                              inspection yes
                              cost $2000 on the cheap, Up from there

Few things to consider

Use a licensed reputable electrician
                              Ensure that they use good parts (not home Cheapo)
                              Should take a day to do, expect to be without power that day and have guys all over your house, even expect a few holes cut in sheetrock should they need to run a new ground wire

Be real nice to the workers (not weird nice) usually that will come back to you 10 fold in how they do your work
                              If the Electrician you hired shows up on the day to do the work and his employees are dirtbags or illegals, Cancel the contract and get another electrician, In this industry looks are not deceiving, There are many excellent reputable electricians out there, They dont advertise on craigslist or the pennysaver and they are not the cheapest as with everything you get what you pay for, Your in Brookhaven, so try Pucco Electric, I personally have not used him but he has a tremendous reputation.

Comment

Working...
                              X