Nail or screw subfloor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
    Screws. 2 1/2”-3” on the joists and 1 5/8” in the field.
    This ^

some glue on the joists won’t hurt either

Comment

The only reason I can think of to go with nails is if you anticipate someday having to rip it again. IOW, nails make demolition a lot easier.

And of course, nails are cheaper but not by much.

If you want to get real anal about it, drill small pilot holes for each screw into the joists. Makes the screws go in a lot easier and doesn't over-stress any of the wood. A good job for a competent teenager with a second drill.
      To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
        The only reason I can think of to go with nails is if you anticipate someday having to rip it again. IOW, nails make demolition a lot easier.

Ring nails in old dimensional lumber don't want to come for nothing. At least with screws you could back them out.
        NRA Life member

Comment

Construction screws with a shoulder that has no thread's to pull the board down is the best bet

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
            Count your blessings, wait til they decide to step up their game to add torx-plus and mortork. Yes....they are real configs, only to be seen in aviation so far.
            Not just aviation, I've come across them elsewhere
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Not just aviation, I've come across them elsewhere
              Curios as to where else. The torx-plus showed up on the B787, and now the mortork shows up on the A350.

Comment

Screws and PL. second place is ring shanks and PL

Comment

Originally posted by SLYTAPEX View Post
                  Screws and PL. second place is ring shanks and PL
                  3/4” plywood, do you think 2 inch screws with the PL is enough?

Comment

I'm known for going a bit overboard but when I replaced the subfloor in my kitchen I used 3/4 tongue and groove osb with a thick bead of adhesive down each joist. Then I used GRK screws every 12 inches or so, then went between each screw with a framing nailer.

The final floor was porcelain tile so on top of the osb went a layer of 1/2 cement board that was screwed down over a layer of 1/4" troweled thinset. I would never test it, but I bet I could drop a bowling ball on that floor and the 1X2' tiles wouldn't crack. I pity the person who has to tear that out years from now when I am long dead and buried.

Comment

The floor is going to move no matter what you do according to seasonal changes. The most important thing is to use an uncoupling membrane if you will be using tile. Read about Ditra.

Comment

Curios as to where else. The torx-plus showed up on the B787, and now the mortork shows up on the A350.
                        Have seen them in some new machinery, high level stuff, made here
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Comment

Coming up on the one year mark soon?

Comment

Coming up on the one year mark soon?
                              2 year mark haha, hopefully done soon though. Nothing in the house wasn’t redone though so hopefully won’t have to worry about it for a long time

Comment

Nice.
                                You can save yourself alot of work next time you spackle by running over all the screws in one long line instead of doing each one individually. It makes for a smoother finished product, it's faster and easier to sand.

Comment

Working...
                                X