Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post

Nice.
    You can save yourself alot of work next time you spackle by running over all the screws in one long line instead of doing each one individually. It makes for a smoother finished product, it's faster and easier to sand.
    Thanks, I usually do them individually first then go over them with a continuous line.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
      The floor is going to move no matter what you do according to seasonal changes. The most important thing is to use an uncoupling membrane if you will be using tile. Read about Ditra.
      If tile, mud rules the day.

NRA Life member

Comment

I see you did the closed cell spray foam... very nice. How do you like it do far. Big difference right!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sig View Post
          If tile, mud rules the day.
          I agree. Tough to beat a good mud base, but not many DIY guys can lay one. That’s why I mentioned the uncoupling membranes. They are pretty idiot proof as long as you use the correct thinset under and on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
            I see you did the closed cell spray foam... very nice. How do you like it do far. Big difference right!!
            Huge difference, got that done earlier in the week finally.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post

I agree. Tough to beat a good mud base, but not many DIY guys can lay one. That’s why I mentioned the uncoupling membranes. They are pretty idiot proof as long as you use the correct thinset under and on top of it.
              I'll agree partially with that. The biggest drawback is that most subfloors have too many low & high spots to set tile over cement board. This is especially true when you are trying to set rectified large tile. You wind up needing to buildup the thinset which creates a weak bond due to shrinkage. Don't get me wrong, mud has it's drawbacks too but it is almost bulletproof when done right.
              NRA Life member

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

Curios as to where else. The torx-plus showed up on the B787, and now the mortork shows up on the A350.
                Torx-plus shows up in automotive use. Never seen a mortork fastener myself.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

Torx-plus shows up in automotive use. Never seen a mortork fastener myself.
                  The mortork is a take on the previous design "Airbus" fastener, which throughout the trade are referred to as "Nazi" bits. This takes the same design to a new level, by deepening the reliefs and flaring out the back edge. Since Airbus has introduced existing aircraft models utilizing newer modern engines, known as "NEO's" (new engine option), I have dubbed the mortork as the "NEOnazi" bit. It just seems fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

The mortork is a take on the previous design "Airbus" fastener, which throughout the trade are referred to as "Nazi" bits. This takes the same design to a new level, by deepening the reliefs and flaring out the back edge. Since Airbus has introduced existing aircraft models utilizing newer modern engines, known as "NEO's" (new engine option), I have dubbed the mortork as the "NEOnazi" bit. It just seems fitting.
                    Ha. I have an idea of what mortorq fasteners look like, because I've seen the Zephyr branded bits in their store on ebay. I just haven't seen one in person yet.

Comment

I recently did my kitchen floor, same deal, I even did new joists (old was "about 24 on center - give or take a beer")

Instead of plywood, I used "Gorillaboard" - basically OSB made with Gorilla glue - waterproof, T&G. The stuff is SOLID - air/water tight - glued & screwed with PL.

I used a membrane on top of that, a peel&stick type, rubber membrane with a fabric impregnated on one side for thinset.

Came out great. I've had great results with this type of membrane, first one I did was 12 years ago, and still looks prefect.

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
                        I recently did my kitchen floor, same deal, I even did new joists (old was "about 24 on center - give or take a beer")

Instead of plywood, I used "Gorillaboard" - basically OSB made with Gorilla glue - waterproof, T&G. The stuff is SOLID - air/water tight - glued & screwed with PL.

I used a membrane on top of that, a peel&stick type, rubber membrane with a fabric impregnated on one side for thinset.

Came out great. I've had great results with this type of membrane, first one I did was 12 years ago, and still looks prefect.
                        How was the PL when you used it? Mine came out extremely tough most of the time, then I would get about a 3 second run where it felt like other adhesives I’ve used then back to extremely tough again. I’m talking 2 hands squeezing down on the gun to get it out at times. After 3 of the 28 OZ tubes I switched to a few tubes of liquid nails I had laying around. It was an unopened box of 12 that I bought so I don’t think it was old/laying on the shelf for a while. Couldn’t find an exp date on the tubes either

Comment

Originally posted by Basballny2 View Post

Thanks, I usually do them individually first then go over them with a continuous line.
                          the line should get wider on the next coat to cover the edges ( if you need another coat )

Comment

How was the PL when you used it? Mine came out extremely tough most of the time, then I would get about a 3 second run where it felt like other adhesives I’ve used then back to extremely tough again. I’m talking 2 hands squeezing down on the gun to get it out at times. After 3 of the 28 OZ tubes I switched to a few tubes of liquid nails I had laying around. It was an unopened box of 12 that I bought so I don’t think it was old/laying on the shelf for a while. Couldn’t find an exp date on the tubes either
                            Poke more holes in the foil at the base of the nozzle.
                            It could have been old though

Comment

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post

Poke more holes in the foil at the base of the nozzle.
                              It could have been old though
                              I was reading the reviews after the fact on Home Depot, a lot of people complaining of the same problem. I bought an unopened box of 12 to try and avoid getting old tubes. I just hope it doesn’t affect the hold.

Comment

You know.... I might have used Liquid Nail... (same MFG I think) But Yes, PL is like that - it also tends to have air pockets, so when you stop squeezing, it keeps coming out.

I just did a big project, LOTS of 28oz. tubes of PL... some ran nice, others would do the soft/hard thing... And I was pretty much squeezing out an entire tube at one shot - my forearms were killing me!

You also do need to get the foil torn up/out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X