X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basballny2
    replied
    Originally posted by SLYTAPEX View Post

Hey I didn’t even notice it was you that posted this! I’m sure you’re done already but torx head 2&1/2” or 2&3/8 ringers. Also remember what I told you at the house, if you need anything let me know, I have a bunch of paslode guns if you want to borrow 1 or 2. Also have a shitload of badass screw guns. The high power stuff! 😁
    Thanks man, glued it down with the 400 and used 2 inch screws

Leave a comment:

• SLYTAPEX
    replied
    Originally posted by Basballny2 View Post

3/4” plywood, do you think 2 inch screws with the PL is enough?
    Hey I didn’t even notice it was you that posted this! I’m sure you’re done already but torx head 2&1/2” or 2&3/8 ringers. Also remember what I told you at the house, if you need anything let me know, I have a bunch of paslode guns if you want to borrow 1 or 2. Also have a shitload of badass screw guns. The high power stuff! 😁

Leave a comment:

• SLYTAPEX
    replied
    Originally posted by Ransom View Post
    Coarse Sheet rock screws are fine (NOT FINE SCREWS)...yes run a thin bead of PL ON EACH JOIST If your worried about squeaking..Lay it out snapping lines and using PLENTY of screws alone will also be fine also 12" apart ...Ring nails are also fine and faster with nail gun along with PL ON JOISTS.. take your pick..Keep it simple ..thats all your choices
    No they are not!

Leave a comment:

• SLYTAPEX
    replied

3/4” plywood, do you think 2 inch screws with the PL is enough?
    Find out what the building code calls for and use that as a minimum requirement. The building code, not the 2”.

Leave a comment:

• Parashooter
    replied

How was the PL when you used it? Mine came out extremely tough most of the time, then I would get about a 3 second run where it felt like other adhesives I’ve used then back to extremely tough again. I’m talking 2 hands squeezing down on the gun to get it out at times. After 3 of the 28 OZ tubes I switched to a few tubes of liquid nails I had laying around. It was an unopened box of 12 that I bought so I don’t think it was old/laying on the shelf for a while. Couldn’t find an exp date on the tubes either
    You know.... I might have used Liquid Nail... (same MFG I think) But Yes, PL is like that - it also tends to have air pockets, so when you stop squeezing, it keeps coming out.

I just did a big project, LOTS of 28oz. tubes of PL... some ran nice, others would do the soft/hard thing... And I was pretty much squeezing out an entire tube at one shot - my forearms were killing me!

You also do need to get the foil torn up/out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Basballny2
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post

Poke more holes in the foil at the base of the nozzle.
    It could have been old though
    I was reading the reviews after the fact on Home Depot, a lot of people complaining of the same problem. I bought an unopened box of 12 to try and avoid getting old tubes. I just hope it doesn’t affect the hold.

Leave a comment:

• Yaphank Kid
    replied

How was the PL when you used it? Mine came out extremely tough most of the time, then I would get about a 3 second run where it felt like other adhesives I’ve used then back to extremely tough again. I’m talking 2 hands squeezing down on the gun to get it out at times. After 3 of the 28 OZ tubes I switched to a few tubes of liquid nails I had laying around. It was an unopened box of 12 that I bought so I don’t think it was old/laying on the shelf for a while. Couldn’t find an exp date on the tubes either
    Poke more holes in the foil at the base of the nozzle.
    It could have been old though

Leave a comment:

• warmnfuzzy
    replied

Thanks, I usually do them individually first then go over them with a continuous line.
    the line should get wider on the next coat to cover the edges ( if you need another coat )

Leave a comment:

• Basballny2
    replied
    Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
    I recently did my kitchen floor, same deal, I even did new joists (old was "about 24 on center - give or take a beer")

Instead of plywood, I used "Gorillaboard" - basically OSB made with Gorilla glue - waterproof, T&G. The stuff is SOLID - air/water tight - glued & screwed with PL.

I used a membrane on top of that, a peel&stick type, rubber membrane with a fabric impregnated on one side for thinset.

Came out great. I've had great results with this type of membrane, first one I did was 12 years ago, and still looks prefect.

Leave a comment:

• Parashooter
    replied
    I recently did my kitchen floor, same deal, I even did new joists (old was "about 24 on center - give or take a beer")

Instead of plywood, I used "Gorillaboard" - basically OSB made with Gorilla glue - waterproof, T&G. The stuff is SOLID - air/water tight - glued & screwed with PL.

I used a membrane on top of that, a peel&stick type, rubber membrane with a fabric impregnated on one side for thinset.

Came out great. I've had great results with this type of membrane, first one I did was 12 years ago, and still looks prefect.

Leave a comment:

• rlitman
    replied
    Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

The mortork is a take on the previous design "Airbus" fastener, which throughout the trade are referred to as "Nazi" bits. This takes the same design to a new level, by deepening the reliefs and flaring out the back edge. Since Airbus has introduced existing aircraft models utilizing newer modern engines, known as "NEO's" (new engine option), I have dubbed the mortork as the "NEOnazi" bit. It just seems fitting.
    Ha. I have an idea of what mortorq fasteners look like, because I've seen the Zephyr branded bits in their store on ebay. I just haven't seen one in person yet.

Leave a comment:

• bigbore44
    replied
    Originally posted by rlitman View Post

Torx-plus shows up in automotive use. Never seen a mortork fastener myself.
    The mortork is a take on the previous design "Airbus" fastener, which throughout the trade are referred to as "Nazi" bits. This takes the same design to a new level, by deepening the reliefs and flaring out the back edge. Since Airbus has introduced existing aircraft models utilizing newer modern engines, known as "NEO's" (new engine option), I have dubbed the mortork as the "NEOnazi" bit. It just seems fitting.

Leave a comment:

• rlitman
    replied
    Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

Curios as to where else. The torx-plus showed up on the B787, and now the mortork shows up on the A350.
    Torx-plus shows up in automotive use. Never seen a mortork fastener myself.

Leave a comment:

• Sig
    replied
    Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post

I agree. Tough to beat a good mud base, but not many DIY guys can lay one. That’s why I mentioned the uncoupling membranes. They are pretty idiot proof as long as you use the correct thinset under and on top of it.
    I'll agree partially with that. The biggest drawback is that most subfloors have too many low & high spots to set tile over cement board. This is especially true when you are trying to set rectified large tile. You wind up needing to buildup the thinset which creates a weak bond due to shrinkage. Don't get me wrong, mud has it's drawbacks too but it is almost bulletproof when done right.

Leave a comment:

• Basballny2
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
    I see you did the closed cell spray foam... very nice. How do you like it do far. Big difference right!!
    Huge difference, got that done earlier in the week finally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X