Rollup awnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollup awnings

Any recommendations for rollup awnings? Brands, installers? How secure are they when extended and the wind blows?

Beware of Rollup awnings in Holbrook, I purchased 3 awnings and a few of their Rollup shutters over the years and they completely screwed me last year on an awning for another property. Their products are very good and have held up over the years. Purchased/paid for an awning with a pre COVID installation date then it was delay after delay..... turns out they weren’t licensed contractors in my area and couldn’t provide documentation to the homeowners association. First blamed everything on COVID, I wanted the awning or a refund and was told by the owner I would have to sue get my money back. Your attorney would never let you sign their contract. Good thing I payed by American Express who refunded me once I provided the appropriate documentation. Again they make a good product but......

Comment

• Lizzard
      Lizzard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the warning. That was the only place that i called. The guy on the phone seemed knowledgeable, I did see a lot of negative reviews for them. Does anyone know how Sun Setter Awnings are?

I got a sunsetter manual open with the side support poles. While a motorized type is the way to go, I have a height issue with the deck underneath ,a motorized type would need to be mounted on the asphalt roof and I didn't want that.

While over 25 years old it's still in good condition, the parts were discontinued 5 years after I got it. When the new siding went up a small bracket was lost for use with a center support rarely used. But they would not sell one, even at inflated prices should be$20 tops. They offered to give me 40% off a whole new $1000 awning.

The manual model can be installed yourself if handy with projects with help , plan a full day.

I made the bracket I needed for about a dollar.

Comment

• Lizzard
      Lizzard commented
      Editing a comment
      How does the canvas look after 25 years

It's actually vinyl, it stays rolled up partially protected by a gutter, they did sell a option cover for it, passed on it as it looks like a pia to put on take off.

It's actually in good condition , faded where always exposed. If exposed to full sun over the years, that section may have become brittle? And cracked, ??

Cleaned and scrubbed it a few times over the years. A small hole from fireworks, a conversation hole.

Comment

So these things appear to be bolted to the studs. I am amazed that they don’t get pulled out when fully extended

Comment

• OUTRAGED
        OUTRAGED commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't need to look for studs, but a solid outer wood or brick sheathing to lag bolt - anchor to is needed. In my style the support points may not have lined up with a stud.

Originally posted by Chase View Post
      Beware of Rollup awnings in Holbrook, I purchased 3 awnings and a few of their Rollup shutters over the years and they completely screwed me last year on an awning for another property. Their products are very good and have held up over the years. Purchased/paid for an awning with a pre COVID installation date then it was delay after delay..... turns out they weren’t licensed contractors in my area and couldn’t provide documentation to the homeowners association. First blamed everything on COVID, I wanted the awning or a refund and was told by the owner I would have to sue get my money back. Your attorney would never let you sign their contract. Good thing I payed by American Express who refunded me once I provided the appropriate documentation. Again they make a good product but......
      They also own and manufacture Add- a -Rib and Stock Positioning Systems for shotguns. The owner is a shooter and member of my club. I only know him in that setting, not the awning side of his business.

Comment

You have to understand that if you're not using it you roll it up. That has to be a universal law. A lot of squall lines pass through on a regular basis. It only takes one to ruin the awning.
        Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

• OUTRAGED
          OUTRAGED commented
          Editing a comment
          True, gusts above about 20mph it gets put away. If you go motorized go for the wind detector to roll it away B4 you let it be scrap.

Note the sunsetter model I have is a pia to open and close. It has side supports that angle out in the easy set up, (many have banged into them ) to use the full set up to get those side supports out of the way is more pia setup.

Without mounting it on the roof shingles, it's the style that works for my height limits. I'm glad I got it back then for those times I entertain . If I have to replace it someday, I may break down and have a board mounted to the shingles (tar it all down) to mount the motorized awning on.

Comment

We had a RollUp installed in 2006. It turned our deck from a no go zone in the summer to wholly usable. It’s been durable and held up well. Over the years we’ve had to have adjustments every couple years and one of the arm hinge pins had to be replaced. There have been a bunch of times where it was left open and took some wind beating but it’s held up very well despite I’m that.

After about 12 years we did get a new awning as the original was faded and some of the seams separated. Ours was opened on pretty much any day there was sun from spring to fall as the dogs loved to lay out in the deck. Lots of open time during inclement weather too. So I expected UV damage to add up.

Other than them being slow to respond we haven’t any service issues with them.

Interestingly, in 2008 we got a letter from NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance asking if RollUp had asked us to pay cash to avoid the NYS sales tax.
          When they kick out your front door
          How you gonna come?
          With your hands on your head
          Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

Are SunSetter and Rollup the only games on Long Island?

Comment

Has anyone used Anchor Canvas in Smithtown? I met with Jon. He was a nice guy and seemed to know what he was talking about

Comment

Working...
              X