Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bearing on my hot tub motor are screaming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bearing on my hot tub motor are screaming...

My hot tub motor is on the end of its days as the bearing are making noise. I have a new motor on hand to swap out, but i am wondering there is any way to salvage the old one as a back-up by greasing the bearing or possibly pay to have them swapped out?The new motor cost around $200. Any place on the island that can replace the bearings?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
    My hot tub motor is on the end of its days as the bearing are making noise. I have a new motor on hand to swap out, but i am wondering there is any way to salvage the old one as a back-up by greasing the bearing or possibly pay to have them swapped out?The new motor cost around $200. Any place on the island that can replace the bearings?
    There are electric motor rebuilders on the island. I don't have a specific recommendation, but you can Google them.

Comment

• Diesel1
      Diesel1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Google UVBNAXED aka AARON aka A A RON - He can fix anything. I'd give him a few days though. He's a bit tied up at the moment.

For $200 for a new one it's not worth having the bearings done

Comment

I'll be cannibalizing my hot tub and getting rid of it; the motors all worked when the heater failed in the fall. You're welcome to come by and take whatever parts you want off of it for yourself.
      Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Maybe it was your neighbor that was screaming?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
          I'll be cannibalizing my hot tub and getting rid of it; the motors all worked when the heater failed in the fall. You're welcome to come by and take whatever parts you want off of it for yourself.
          thanks...i did a little research and discovered that a cheap bearing puller and a pair of bearing will run me under fifty bucks. I'll swap out the old one for the new one, and at my leisure try the repair

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

thanks...i did a little research and discovered that a cheap bearing puller and a pair of bearing will run me under fifty bucks. I'll swap out the old one for the new one, and at my leisure try the repair
            This thread is painful to me. Drop it off to me in Port Jeff sta or west Babylon and I’ll do it for pizza or something. You probably won’t need a bearing puller to do it, but experience is somewhat necessary.

Comment

• bigbore44
              bigbore44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, probably a couple of #203 bearings, or some variant there of.

Out with the old in with the new
            Attached Files

Comment

You want me to take a look at it? If it’s the heating element, they are around $100 or less. If it’s the control board, it’s usually a relay that has shit the bed. Just went through it in mine. $8.00 relay saved me $1,000.

Comment

Originally posted by UVBNAXED View Post

You want me to take a look at it? If it’s the heating element, they are around $100 or less. If it’s the control board, it’s usually a relay that has shit the bed. Just went through it in mine. $8.00 relay saved me $1,000.
                No thanks. We decided in the fall that we didn't want to keep it, so I only drained it (not winterized). It needs/needed the heater and the control panel (working, but no display). The hot tub is 18 years old, and we would rather the deck space; I'll probably put a hot tub in the bathroom when we redo it, much less maintenance.

Comment

No thanks. We decided in the fall that we didn't want to keep it, so I only drained it (not winterized). It needs/needed the heater and the control panel (working, but no display). The hot tub is 18 years old, and we would rather the deck space; I'll probably put a hot tub in the bathroom when we redo it, much less maintenance.
                  Sometimes it's time to move on. I'm still keeping mine alive after 35 years. (and it looks it's age...like me) ..4 motors, 4 moto-massage jets, 2 heating elements, 4 covers, and rebuilding the analog control panel after the tub floated across the yard in hurricane Sandy. It is one of the early Hot Spring Spas with blown in foam insulation , holds 350 gallons, and runs on 115V. (the heater turns off when the jets are on)

Comment

Yeah, mine was included with the house when we bought last year, but it was fluff that my wife didn't want anyway. I used it a few times, maybe 5 or 6 in 3 months it was working. A pool guy told me the heaters are extremely sensitive to the ph level, & I continuously forgot to check and adjust it...oh well.

Not using it saves me additional electrical work running a line for a Mini-Slip A/C since there's already a 240 out there

Comment

Working...
                    X