No announcement yet.

Wood burning fireeplace installer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the newer stoves are designed to re-burn (I believe that's the term) everything. If you watch how it burns, you can actually see the flame rolling/churning within the chamber, from how the incoming airflow path is designed. It leaves only powder behind to occasionally clean out.

If the door glass is clean, you're burning good, if it gets brown/dirty, you're not burning hot enough, which will promote creosote buildup in your stack, which is not good. Think chimney fire.

Proper seasoned hard wood is a must to avoid headaches AND creosote buildup.
    Last edited by bigbore44; 11-11-2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
      wood fire,family,on a snowy day-perfect combination. only thing missing is a sleeping cat or dog?
      Just missing 1 thing, got everything else you mentioned except snow which we'll have soon enough
      Attached Files
      The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Originally posted by 67Builder View Post
        I highly recommend going with a nice stove rather than a fireplace. My place upstate needed something and we ended up with this unit, and it’s heat is glorious. 378EEB9D-D3EA-4C11-97FF-0509BB1B7826.jpg
        I've had an almost identical one since I moved in. I've never used it.

I love fires and remember fondly the holiday fires in the fireplaces of the house where I grew up. I just never spend enough time in my living room to go through the hassle of starting a fire and waiting for it to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

I love fires and remember fondly the holiday fires in the fireplaces of the house where I grew up. I just never spend enough time in my living room to go through the hassle of starting a fire and waiting for it to go out.
          Why do you wait for it to go out?

Comment

• Diesel1
            Diesel1 commented
            Editing a comment
            To shut the flu.... otherwise you wake up freezing your fucking ass off and then wonder why you know the billing lady at national grid on a first name basis.
            You know how many times I got my ass handed to me as a kid bc I feel asleep on the couch in the den with a fire going and then forgot to shut the flue.... if the doors were open, I definitely had hand marks somewhere on my body.
            Last edited by Diesel1; 11-13-2021, 04:41 PM.

• Shamuscull
            Shamuscull commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine burns 24-7 when it’s cold. Has an outside air kit and a sealed door. No flue shut off. Door is sealed air tight.

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

You gotta get over that whole thinking it’s a hassle thing. I look forward to the cool nights just so I can light this thing.

Attached Files

Comment

Finis!

870BAF50-78F5-4F6C-8622-7290A5BE98CC.jpg 7DA7B131-A75A-4C5A-B98C-7851BC282F19.jpg D192E042-7261-4933-AB88-94FDEA26501F.jpg 59F8D4D9-6A57-4138-82AD-17DDB45AA00A.jpg
            Last edited by raceradam; 11-13-2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• bigbore44
              bigbore44 commented
              Editing a comment
              A crane and a man lift? WTF, that's cheat'n!

• raceradam
              raceradam commented
              Editing a comment
              Work smart, not hard. Why not, when I have free access to the equipment?

• bigbore44
              bigbore44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, you got me there. I did mine upstate by myself, so it was fun times there. Straight up through the 2nd floor and the roof. The real fun was laying on the 40' ladder, laying flat on the rear roof(12-12 pitch), hanging over the peak to finish the outside. My chest hurts just remembering it.

IMG_20211027_154409278_HDR~3.jpg purposely set it up so the flashing edge went up under the ridge for a nice clean finish, and minimal amount of exposed chimney stack. With the 12/12 pitch, it was easiest to just lay the extension ladder flat on the full back roof, then just basically used it as a secured walking surface. But my chest paid the price from hanging over the peak to work on it.

Comment

• Diesel1
              Diesel1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, that's the perfect cabin right there! Absolutely love it. That is exactly what I would love for a "leave me the fuck alone" place. Would love to see some stone on the bottom half and board and batten above.

• bigbore44
              bigbore44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Project budget was tight, couldn't swing the expense of the lower half in stone. Contemplated metal log siding for the look, and that was too much. I really want zero maintenance after the build, so I ended up settling on a really nice looking wood grain surfaced/color vinyl siding. Once that is done in the spring, along with the interior flooring, I am pretty much finished. Then I can really start to enjoy it more. And considering my property is completely severed by a creek from the road, and my driveway crosses a private bridge, yes, I definitely consider this my " leave me the fuck alone place". I visually have a clear "shot" down to the bridge area. I just need Lee Marvin and the boys to rig it up for me, ya know....just in case. Lol

• Diesel1
              Diesel1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I get the budget part, I love to play fantasy with other people's money bc I never have enough of my own. It's spectacular even left in house wrap! Love it all!

Sleepy Hollow

https://www.sleepyhollowstovefireplace.com/

Comment

• Diesel1
              Diesel1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Went there Friday. Lots of good options and seemed like good guys except they don't stock a damn unit. Wouldn't get it until the Spring. Not that I expected less, but a neighbor/friend went to the place in Seaford, and he'll have it done in 2 weeks.

• FUAC
              FUAC commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! Let's go Brandon!

Got the stove and the sleeping dog
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Diesel1
              Diesel1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Both look great! Love bullies. Where did you find him and how the hell were you able to cut his nails so short. Mine has claws and been trying to cut them as close to the wick as possible as they say it should shorten it, but no luck yet. Mine will be 1 Dec 1. Your's looks like a nice big boy, what's his weight?
          Working...
          X