Ariens snowblower ST28LE 11HP governor linkage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ariens snowblower ST28LE 11HP governor linkage question

Does anyone have experience with governor linkage on a Ariens snowblower? Last snowstorm, I had the snowblower on high idle and it was throwing snow like a champ. I had to turn it down for a minute and then when I moved the lever to high again, nothing happened. I couldn't throw snow! I scoured the internet and couldn't find a way why this wasn't moving. Is it the spring?
    Thanks

At first glance, I notice two things. 1- with the engine not running, that throttle is wide open(until the governor fights back after start up. 2- if I didn't know better, you're possibly missing one spring. There is usual one spring that sets base speed with the governor, and another that places additional tension from your actual throttle position to overide governed speed, or alter the threshold depending on load. Do you have the manual for it? Look and see if it has a picture of that linkage. Post the model/ serial number that's on the engine cover itself, not the blower chassis.

Comment

Thanks
      bigbore44
      Donated Member
      bigbore44

Here's what I'm looking at.

Briggs and Stratton engine model 15c134-2143F8
      https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/p...F8/39460006D/y

I've checked youtube videos and found the following

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSS6P3CQOs this one is EXACTLY what I have but when he moved the lever, it acts the same way.
      2. https://youtu.be/q5kB_s6MK6Q This is close but he does mess with the longer paperclip spring.
      3. https://youtu.be/ubSS6P3CQOs Another video.

Thank you for your help. I'm still scratching my head over this.

Comment

That blow up from their website shows two springs, #209 & 209A. 209 is the one with the big loop shown in your video. 209A is a conventional spring, but smaller. I don't see that one anywhere in your video. Maybe I am missing it, or it is missing. Sometimes the end loop that attaches to the arms will break from the lever wearing a groove in the wire from vibration. But if that's your actual machine in your OP, it's too new for that to have happened. It may have fallen off, and took off like springs do??

Comment

That blowup doesn't show everything as assembled, and that doesn't help much.

Comment

bigbore44
            Donated Member
            bigbore44
            That 209A spring is there. You just couldn't see it from that angle. Here's a pic

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• bigbore44
              bigbore44
              Donated Member
              bigbore44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, so there it is. The 209A keeps minimal tension on the governor arm for base idle, while the big 209 is your high speed/load tension spring. Check the governor arm/lever, and try to move it back and forth to rotate the throttle to make sure it has free range of motion. Something could be jammed etc.

I have a 30" Ariens, although it has a Subaru engine. I can take a look and maybe snap some pictures, but I won't be able to do that until Monday afternoon at best.

Comment

With the engine not running, moving the control lever/throttle from low to full throttle, should correspond with full travel movement of the actual throttle on the carb via the rod from the governor arm to the carb throttleblade.

Or from turtle to rabbit........lmao

Comment

A snowblower is like an old Harley Davidson: You spend more time repairing it and getting it started than you do anything else.
              Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

• bigbore44
                bigbore44
                Donated Member
                bigbore44 commented
                Editing a comment
                But it's part of the fun. And the amount of work depends the original quality of the machine, AND how you take care of it. Today's gas just throws an extra wrench in the works. My Ariens is from 1968. Cast iron gearbox, no aluminum junk. Ymmv

• vmtcmt
                vmtcmt
                The Mod nobody likes
                vmtcmt commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed, modern gas is a big part of the problem. My 17+ year old Craftsman with a US made Briggs started up on 2-3 pulls from what was a dry tank. My 28 year old lawnmower, also a Briggs takes no more than 2 pulls to start every spring. I attribute that to the ethanol free gas.

Originally posted by spider View Post
              A snowblower is like an old Harley Davidson: You spend more time repairing it and getting it started than you do anything else.
              The other option is go electric knowing it won't handle anything more than a few inches of powder.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

The other option is go electric knowing it won't handle anything more than a few inches of powder.
              We have a formula back home to gauge how long someone has lived in NH: It's a ratio of the driveway to lawn area. The longer you live in NH, the shorter the driveway and the smaller the lawn.
              Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by spb1122 View Post
              I have a 30" Ariens, although it has a Subaru engine. I can take a look and maybe snap some pictures, but I won't be able to do that until Monday afternoon at best.
              Thats new. I didn't know they used Subaru engines on snowblowers. I'm going to fire mine up soon and take a video

Comment

Originally posted by Blade21 View Post
                bigbore44
                Donated Member
                bigbore44
                That 209A spring is there. You just couldn't see it from that angle. Here's a pic
                If you look at the blowup diagram from the post, there's #268, #269 for a control wire. Where does that hook up to? I can't find that wire anywhere

Comment

Throttle position spring tension applies pressure against the governor arm to set power, and the governor counteracts that tension by sensing the load by RPM.

Comment

Working...
                X