What do you use to sharpen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use to sharpen?

Looking to learn this skill - what are you using? Japanese whetstone? Spyderco Sharpmaker? I know it can take a lifetime to master. All I've ever used is an old stone from my days in Boy Scouts and the steel that came with my kitchenaid kitchen knife set.

Spyderco

Comment

Spyderco 95% of the time. When I really need to work on something I use a Lansky set or this Chinese knockoff of one of the more expensive kits http://m.ebay.com/itm/400657880107?u...D0&_mwBanner=1
      Ben

Comment

Hand held sharpener for quick touch ups, spyderco system,sometimes a sharpening stone and I have a strop.
        I actually find using the stone relaxing kind of gets me away because I'm just concentrating on the blade and keeps my mind off all the other shit going on
        NRA member
        Suffolk County Sportsman permit
        Florida CCW

Comment

• Eagle13
          Eagle13 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard it can be pretty relaxing. It'll look sinister as hell, but relaxing for the sharpener.

Spyderco sharpmaker.

Comment

I know this is far more than your looking for but you did ask.....
          Depends how bad and what kind of knife and what kind of cutting edge you like. On some knives (like camp knives) I like that factory rough, kinda micro serrated edge and on other knives (cooking, meat processing and some Edc blades) I like a mirror finished straight razor type edge.
          Touch ups, sharpening steel. Most knives that need to be sharpened can be woken up quite nicely on a steel.
          Dull Mangled edges get re ground on a 2 inch belt sander 320 grit gator belt then deburred on a cotton wheel followed by a strop.
          I haven't had to sharpen my shun chef knife yet but if I did I would probably follow the dull mangled knife procedure.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Eagle13
            Eagle13 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is beautiful. Thanks for the info. I'd be terrified to take a Shun to a belt sander right now.
            ...and nice icon \m/

For general, everyday maintenance, another vote for the Spyderco.
          I've been using ceramic sharping rods for many years. Always very happy with the results. The ceramics are great for realigning, and putting on a great edge, with hardly removing any metal from your knives.
          Bit of trivia...Before ceramic sharpening systems were popular, an old restaurant chef's trick was to use the bottom of a ceramic dinner plate. The raised rim on the plates bottom is usually unglazed raw ceramic, and would put a great edge on the chefs kitchen knives.
          Artist formerly known as TERRY P

Comment

• Eagle13
            Eagle13 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never heard that about the ceramic plate - makes sense!

Spyderco sharpmaker is first choice.
          Lansky is ok for small blades.
          I use a Spyderco ceramic flatstone when I want to practice freehand sharpening.
          Finish with a strop on leather.

Comment

I use a Lansky system. Actually just got a stand to hold the knife/angle piece so hoping that makes things a bit easier. For sure it will be easier on my hand.

Debating getting the leather strop "stone".

Most family holidays I bring the lansky kit....and everyone brings their knives.
            High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

• Eagle13
              Eagle13 commented
              Editing a comment
              Making family holidays worthwhile!!!

Chosera water stone and a strop, Sharp maker takes forever and is not the greatest thing out there. Forget all the contraptions and the perfect angle to sharpen, Its consistency that counts not a 40 degree or 30 degree angle. Be warned though a chosera setup will run you $200 with the holder and the diamond base to level the stone but well worth it for sure

Comment

Also most people strop too much, 3-5 times each side using just the weight of the knife any more than that and you best go back to the stone

Comment

A lot of talent on here! Should start a camping forum!!
                NRA Benefactor Life
                NRA Instructor & RSO
                NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

0519161817.jpg I have some good honing stones , but this is my go to device

Attached Files

Comment

• Eagle13
                    Eagle13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Holy crap. This just looks more complicated that it actually is right?

Great Gran Dad's hand crank wheel was made to clamp on a table/bench edge. I ran out of bench edge 187 unfinished projects ago , so I use my vise to hold it. It's crank with right hand , hold blade/mattock/axe with left hand. yea I also got a electric grinder I could break out too. Also a assortment of sharpening stones and hones and jigs from when I went to estate sales and collected old hand tools

Comment

Working...
                  X