Clear All

I Don't Have an Attic So I Can't Be This Lucky

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...shrines-attic/
    500 Year Old Katana Found In Shrine’s “Attic”

BY H. CLAY AALDERS |
    MAR 06, 2018 |
    3 COMMENTS

(via JapanForward)
    My attic is only full of cellulose insulation and vacuum bags of old clothes. It hasn’t produced so much as a small knife, let alone a 500 year old samurai sword. The attic of the Kasuga Taisha shrine is much, much cooler than mine.
    From JapanForward.com:
    The sword appears to be in very good condition, showing little evidence of use and remains close to its original state. After repolishing and appraisal, it has been attributed to the Ko-Hoki School. The accompanying Kuro-urushi- yamagane (black lacquered mountain iron) tachi mountings are thought to date from the fourteenth century. The sword is believed to have been dedicated to the shrine sometime during the Nanboku-cho (1336-1392) and early Muromachi (1336-1573) periods.
    The blade is unsigned, but as it bears a close resemblance to the famous Doji-giri sword in the Tokyo National Museum by the Ko-Hoki mastersmith Yasutsuna, and it is thought that it could be his work as well. The Doji-giri is known historically as one of the Five Greatest Swords Under Heaven. Motoki Sakai of the Tokyo National Museum said that the sword discovered at Kasuga Taisha “is a very important example of work of the period in excellent condition.”
    The blade was given to a Master sword-polisher for restoration.
    The sword was sent for restoration to polisher Koshu Hon’ami, who is a Living National Treasure. Hon’ami has re-polished the sword back to its original splendor. The Hon’ami family is said to have been sword polishers and appraisers since as far back as the Kamakura Period, and were later employed by the Tokugawa Shogunate in the Edo Period. They also issued appraisal certificates and valuations for important swords, as well as compiling various sword compendiums.
    That work complete, the sword will now be put on display.

"The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

I have two of those in my attic.

Comment

Come on, as a construction guy spider, you must hear of some stories about guns and rifles falling out of houses during remodeling and demo work on homes. Got any juicy stories for us?

Comment

I misplaced a pair of tin snips in the blown insulation of my attic. Somebody in the future is gonna be one lucky S.O.B.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by SirMixAlot View Post
          Come on, as a construction guy spider, you must hear of some stories about guns and rifles falling out of houses during remodeling and demo work on homes. Got any juicy stories for us?
          I'm still waiting for that pot of gold. Nothing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SirMixAlot View Post
            A friend of mine was on a job once when a widow asked him if he wanted to buy her dead husband's guns. There were like 50 of them, all WWII stuff. he asked her how much she wanted and she said $800 for the whole lot. He didn't haggle.

Comment

Working...
            X