Gravity Knives gtg in N

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

Sweet bouncing boobies, even when we win we lose.
    Originally posted by Big Matt View Post
    How about spring assisted knives like the Benchmade mini-barrage or Kershaw speed safe?
    Originally posted by Big Matt View Post

Thumb studs are not switches or triggers. I hope.

Here's one article of many that explains it a bit.

https://blog.knife-depot.com/spring-assist-knives-illegal-new-york-state/

Or look up Steven Berrezueta. He's just a guy going to work and with no previous arrests.

This case/arrest/conviction, upheld by the highest court in NY, was the final nail in the coffin for my future in this state. For a police officer, desk officer, assistant district attorneys and judges to all misinterpret a completely understandable law....just showed me that even knowing the law and abiding by it doesn't make you safe if there's an agenda. From the article I linked:

In a long and scathing dissenting opinion, Judge Jenny Rivera says that the handle and blade are two different things:
    The accusatory instrument describes the knife found on defendant as having “a spring-loaded portion of the blade of the knife protruding from the handle of the knife” and at trial the arresting officer testified that the spring mechanism was “in the blade.”

Neither description comports with the Penal Law definition of a switchblade as a knife whose blade opens automatically “by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife” (Penal Law § 265.00 [4]). A knife’s blade and handle are two different entities, and no amount of legal finessing can change that simple fact.
    Police Officers don't know all of the laws - it would be impossible. So if an officer believes he's correctly arresting someone, there's often a street supervisor that verifies the arrest or at least a desk officer that signs-off on the arrest. During arrest processing, an ADA is sent the paperwork and again, verifies your arrest paperwork. Lastly, a judge eventually sees it all. These checks and balances work pretty well. If an officer brings in a 'bad' arrest, the desk officer will fill out quick paperwork and let the guy go ASAP. The ADA can also recommend that what you're describing doesn't meet the criterion of a violation of the law. But in this case, all these levels appear to think a spring-assisted knife falls into the definition of a switch blade........absurd, and scary.
    New York's highest court upheld the conviction of a man who had an assisted-opening knife under the theory that it was an illegal switchblade.
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Remember... NY. The blade is a device. The blade is in the handle. All knives are switchblades.
      John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab

And any stabbing is a mass shooting committed with an AR15
        Knives are made of metal.
        AR15's are made of metal.
        Therefore, knives are AR15's.
        I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
        I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post

Knives are made of metal.
          AR15's are made of metal.
          Therefore, knives are AR15's.
          Coming Up Next In The NY State Legislation: Full Ban On Assault Sporks

Comment

Gravity knives are now LEGAL.

Nunchucks are now LEGAL.

Stun Guns are on their way to being LEGAL.

But spring-assisted knives are now ILLEGAL (despite the fact that it doesn't fit the legal definition of a switch blade)...........sure......makes sense.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
              Gravity knives are now LEGAL.

Nunchucks are now LEGAL.

Stun Guns are on their way to being LEGAL.

But spring-assisted knives are now ILLEGAL (despite the fact that it doesn't fit the legal definition of a switch blade)...........sure......makes sense.

I’m still going to go with stun guns being legal in NY, regardless of the letter sent out by the NC pistol section. I read the actual court ruling, doesn’t mention certain districts. It’s states NY’s ban is unconstitutional and the the NYSP and other agencies are enjoined from enforcing NYPL 265.01(1).

Comment

Why take the chance on a arrest? I’ve put my Benchmade away, I’m now carrying Lawn Darts.
                they take a little longer to cut a apple with but I’m not chancing sing sing.

Comment

Why carry anything that can be construed as a “weapon”? Just eat a bunch of White Castle burgers and wash ‘em down with a pint, or two of Guinness and become a walking WMD in a matter of minutes. Lol

Comment

I picked up a spyderco endura 4 with the wave feature on Father's Day. Also picked up the shiv works clinch pick trainer to see how I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by FDEMTNYC View Post

I’m still going to go with stun guns being legal in NY, regardless of the letter sent out by the NC pistol section. I read the actual court ruling, doesn’t mention certain districts. It’s states NY’s ban is unconstitutional and the the NYSP and other agencies are enjoined from enforcing NYPL 265.01(1).
                      While I certainly agree with you, I've seen people spend lots of time/money even though they were technically correct.

I like to see it in writing that the law has changed - as is the case with NCPD and gravity knives/nunchucks.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by FDEMTNYC View Post

The ruling doesn't have to mention certain districts. The court has a given jurisdiction where it's rulings are valid. In this case it's the Northern District. For us it's no different than if the Southern District of Alabama issued this ruling.
                        "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                        Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                        Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Working...
                        X