Pocket Knives and Hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
    This is why every one of us should be sure to bring a knife to an MRI and make an issue of it when they take it away.I

Hospitals need to stop being nannies, and doctors need to drop the holier-than-thou attitude.
    No, those damned magnetic fields need to stop being so grabby with your steel objects. Especially knives. Magnets are smart like that you see!

Originally posted by lynyrd View Post

All else that was metal or had metal was bagged and left with me. The pocket knife was taken away and I got a receipt.

Paul
    Oh yeah, and I suppose you've invented a brass magnet too. One that picks up keys, coins and brass belt buckles?

So I took a ride in the ambulance. I'm at the hospital going through a precheck before an MRI. I'm asked what I got on me. I get to "pocket knife" and the dude's eyes get all wide. I'm thinking to myself, "I said 'pocket knife', not 'grenade'."

Dude walks out of the room. I'm waiting for cops. He eventually comes back. The pocket knife gets bagged and taken away. I do get it back when I get discharged.

Paul
    Yeah, here's a little secret. MRI machines have an intensely strong magnetic field. One that will rip steel objects right out of your hands. Paper clips will fly by faster than the eye can track them, and tools have killed and severely injured people. Many hospitals that have MRI machines have banned the usage of steel oxygen cylinders, and even sometimes steel carts. MRI technicians are well versed in the dangers of these magnetic fields and will often keep a magnet outside the room to test things, but their patients generally are not aware of the dangers.

In addition to danger, a piece of steel as small as a washer introduced into the MRI room can alter the finely tuned magnetic field sufficiently to blur important details in the image.

Originally posted by 67Builder View Post

Epley maneuver.
    My wife gets some vertigo from time to time as her crystals do get out of whack now and then.
    Heres a resonantly good video on doing it yourself. Note that if you just have a mild vertigo this maneuver can bring on severe vertigo.
    https://youtu.be/mQR6b7CAiqk

Hope you're feeling well soon man. I know how bad it is to spend extended periods of time dealing with vertigo.
    Google BPPV. FYI, the Epley maneuver must be done for the correct offending ear. If done to the wrong ear, it will not work, and may cause a temporary worsening of symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

No, those damned magnetic fields need to stop being so grabby with your steel objects. Especially knives. Magnets are smart like that you see!

Oh yeah, and I suppose you've invented a brass magnet too. One that picks up keys, coins and brass belt buckles?

Yeah, here's a little secret. MRI machines have an intensely strong magnetic field. One that will rip steel objects right out of your hands. Paper clips will fly by faster than the eye can track them, and tools have killed and severely injured people. Many hospitals that have MRI machines have banned the usage of steel oxygen cylinders, and even sometimes steel carts. MRI technicians are well versed in the dangers of these magnetic fields and will often keep a magnet outside the room to test things, but their patients generally are not aware of the dangers.
      Yes. There is no reason a knife should be treated as a weapon. It is a piece of metal that should be secured in the locker with any other piece of metal that will be attracted by the MRI.

Comment

I just had two MRIs done at Zwanger. Both times I was told to empty my pockets into a small locker away from the MRI room. Pocket knife was visible both times. No problems. It seems the hospital has some real assholes working there.
        Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

In addition to danger, a piece of steel as small as a washer introduced into the MRI room can alter the finely tuned magnetic field sufficiently to blur important details in the image.

Google BPPV. FYI, the Epley maneuver must be done for the correct offending ear. If done to the wrong ear, it will not work, and may cause a temporary worsening of symptoms.
          I had an MRI on my foot. I was wearing an open buckle design (steel) military type belt the whole time. It tilted 90 degrees on end but that was all.
          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I had an MRI on my foot. I was wearing an open buckle design (steel) military type belt the whole time. It tilted 90 degrees on end but that was all.
            You are fortunate. I can't afford for the metal I have to move
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

You are fortunate. I can't afford for the metal I have to move
              I hear ya.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

The knife was taken because he deemed it a “weapon”.

Paul
                Look him straight in the eye and say "Listen, I'M the weapon, the knife is just one of the tools"
                Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                X