Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Ive been Playing Photographer this evening

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So Ive been Playing Photographer this evening

    I needed to be able to take quality photos for my Knife business and the web site I am working on, Only problem is I dont know how to do it right! I have spent the better part of 2 hours trying to photograph different blades I have made and this is the best I was able to come up with. The satin blade is a work in progress for a member (Yes you know who you are!) after all this is a firearms page so I figured I would Liven up the back drop LOL. Although I will admit it was fun but it was a lot of work hopefully all the photos load, they said there was a limit
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 10 photos.

    #2
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 9 photos.

    Comment


      #3
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 9 photos.

      Comment


        #4
        Very nice knives! Are you using a tripod? Also, what's your light source?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
          Very nice knives! Are you using a tripod? Also, what's your light source?
          Thank You, I am using a tripod, I built a light box and am using (2) 60w LED on home depot work lights because I didnt have any regular bulbs only 40 watt which was not enough

          Comment


            #6
            Wow, you were busy! Some great looking blades (and guns) there.

            My only critique photo-wise would be shoot tighter in some of them. A lot of boring dead space in some. I do like that there is more then just a knife in them.

            I am guessing getting even lighting over the shiny blades was your biggest issue. A cheap photo cube/tent with a handful of output adjustable lamps will help speed things up a lot, especially if you can leave it set up in a corner somewhere. Once you dial it in once, you should be pretty good to go for different items with minor tweaks.
            Amazon.com : Neewer® 24x24 inch/60x60 cm Photo Studio Shooting Tent Light Cube Diffusion Soft Box Kit with 4 Colors Backdrops (Red Dark Blue Black White) for Photography : Photographic Lighting Diffusers : Camera & Photo
            Brandon

            NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by xcentrk View Post
              Wow, you were busy! Some great looking blades (and guns) there.

              My only critique photo-wise would be shoot tighter in some of them. A lot of boring dead space in some. I do like that there is more then just a knife in them.

              I am guessing getting even lighting over the shiny blades was your biggest issue. A cheap photo cube/tent with a handful of output adjustable lamps will help speed things up a lot, especially if you can leave it set up in a corner somewhere. Once you dial it in once, you should be pretty good to go for different items with minor tweaks.
              Thank You, I actually made one with PVC and tissue paper, Made diffusers out of foam board, Yes the lighting was my biggest issue, I will try to shoot in tighter and I know exactly what you mean. I need output adjustable lamps! I did not know there was such a thing thank you!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Rubbermittens View Post

                Thank You, I actually made one with PVC and tissue paper, Made diffusers out of foam board, Yes the lighting was my biggest issue, I will try to shoot in tighter and I know exactly what you mean. I need output adjustable lamps! I did not know there was such a thing thank you!
                Yeah, sorry I took too long looking up the Amazon link and noticed you already made a tent after I posted so you are all set there.

                For the adjustable lights, you can get a couple of the below lamp dimmers. I have a few of them at they work well for me. Would probably be cheaper then buying new lights.
                Lutron TT-300H-WH Electronics Plug-In Lamp Dimmer, White - Plug In Dimmer Switches - Amazon.com
                Brandon

                NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

                Comment


                  #9
                  Not that I ever doubted you, but holy shit, that is some nice work. Be proud! Very Proud!
                  NRA Benefactor Life
                  NRA Instructor & RSO
                  NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by xcentrk View Post

                    Yeah, sorry I took too long looking up the Amazon link and noticed you already made a tent after I posted so you are all set there.

                    For the adjustable lights, you can get a couple of the below lamp dimmers. I have a few of them at they work well for me. Would probably be cheaper then buying new lights.
                    Thank You I would have never thought of that, Off to the hardware store

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MSA77 View Post
                      Not that I ever doubted you, but holy shit, that is some nice work. Be proud! Very Proud!
                      Why thank you sir, Please note they are not perfect, not at all

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You can also try 'light painting" on the cheap. As long as you have a camera that you can put on manual settings, you don't need anything more then a dark room, a tripod and flashlight. I have a small Thrunite penlight that I used for this pic just now. Even those small keychain flashlights work well.

                        I just did this quick and crappy one below on my dresser in about 15 mins (including getting my camera out, on the tripod and unloading the gun) so you get an idea of what it will look like. It will come out MUCH better if you have a completely dark room (my bedroom was not dark enough so a lot more of the background came through). Excuse the shitty knife too, lol. I left my good one at a client and it disappeared when I went back for it.

                        Google "light painting product photography".... plenty of good how-to's and videos. Again, great blades you have there, and I like that you are doing good photos of them.

                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Brandon

                        NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by xcentrk View Post
                          You can also try 'light painting" on the cheap. As long as you have a camera that you can put on manual settings, you don't need anything more then a dark room, a tripod and flashlight. I have a small Thrunite penlight that I used for this pic just now. Even those small keychain flashlights work well.

                          I just did this quick and crappy one below on my dresser in about 15 mins (including getting my camera out, on the tripod and unloading the gun) so you get an idea of what it will look like. It will come out MUCH better if you have a completely dark room (my bedroom was not dark enough so a lot more of the background came through). Excuse the shitty knife too, lol. I left my good one at a client and it disappeared when I went back for it.

                          Google "light painting product photography".... plenty of good how-to's and videos. Again, great blades you have there, and I like that you are doing good photos of them.
                          Thanks, I will try that for sure, I have a cannon rebel T4 or something like that, It was expensive when I bought it 4 years ago LOL And I have been shooting on manual Tungsten lighting for the white balance setting, I have not messed with the aperture yet though

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Rubbermittens View Post

                            Thanks, I will try that for sure, I have a cannon rebel T4 or something like that, It was expensive when I bought it 4 years ago LOL And I have been shooting on manual Tungsten lighting for the white balance setting, I have not messed with the aperture yet though
                            OK, good camera (I am a Canon guy myself) there. Should do all you need for this.

                            If you do the light painting stuff... ISO 100, probably f4-f8 (higher the number, the more in focus) and maybe around 15 seconds (if in a completely dark space) exposure time should be a good starting point.
                            Brandon

                            NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by xcentrk View Post

                              OK, good camera (I am a Canon guy myself) there. Should do all you need for this.

                              If you do the light painting stuff... ISO 100, probably f4-f8 (higher the number, the more in focus) and maybe around 15 seconds (if in a completely dark space) exposure time should be a good starting point.
                              awesome thank you i will try that

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X