Collectible Switchblades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collectible Switchblades

The thread about Miss Mexico sparked this.

Just like everything else, there is a big collectors market for switchblades. This is a Rizzuto Esteleto Milano. They were commonly sold in Tijuana and other Mexican border cities to tourists. The classic stiletto design comes from Italy, where there remains a cottage industry producing switchblades of varying quality levels. This knife is not one of them. Despite the Italian sounding name, they were made in Asia, usually Taiwan with not a very high level of quality. There are many variations, but all had swing guards. This is a batwing variation. There were different sizes and colors available and all are collectible. These knives were used in many Movies and so many Californians bought them when visiting border towns that they have a tremendous amount of nostalgia attached to them. What were $5 knives are now worth $200 with pedestrian examples easily bringing $100.
    Copies of this knife were made in Korea in the ‘80s and sold by a company called The Edge Co through SOF and other magazines. They didn’t have the inscription and are collectible also.

Anticipating the question, NY bans possession of switchblades with an exemption for people hunting, fishing or only having one arm (seriously). So carrying one around is a bad idea, but people within the exemption can own them.

Sorry about the fingerprints. I wiped them off after the pic.

324F42E4-AAED-4FDA-BA5B-A48B4F687533.jpeg 667784EA-E217-4B95-B0FB-CE36F70B8F88.jpeg

Cool knife. I keep a Benchmade Presidio that I use while fishing, I find having a one handed opener makes a lot of difference when working on the boat.

knife.jpg

Just a side note, the "one-armed man" exemption is only Federal, not state, so a one-armed citizen in New York can't have a switchblade unless he has a hunting or fishing license.
    Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

I knew a guy that collected switchblades back in the day, "Three Finger" Freddy, if you ever needed a band-aid he always had a bunch in his pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
        I knew a guy that collected switchblades back in the day, "Three Finger" Freddy, if you ever needed a band-aid he always had a bunch in his pocket.
        I would think that would be more true of butterfly knives than switchblades.

Comment

Working...
        X