Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a serrated blade like this on this old Solingen knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a serrated blade like this on this old Solingen knife?

I have an old Solingen knife
    Serrated blade on top doesn't seem useful for anything.
    Only thing I can think of it is a fish scaler.
    I figured the knife is probably for a fisherman.
    Certainly good to gut it and although the blade is a little stiff I think it's good to filet ( if it were sharp)

Any of you knife guys know?

Solingen3.jpg Solingen.jpg Solingen2.jpg

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think you are right about using the serratted side as a scaler. I use a serrated Dexter for my initial cut through tough scaled fish like striped bass and black fish as the scales quickly dull the edges of the filet knife. The serrated edge is also great for cutting through bones when taking the head off a fish.
    Very cool knife by the way, it should sharpen up nicely!

Comment

Originally posted by tesla View Post
      I think you are right about using the serratted side as a scaler. I use a serrated Dexter for my initial cut through tough scaled fish like striped bass and black fish as the scales quickly dull the edges of the filet knife. The serrated edge is also great for cutting through bones when taking the head off a fish.
      Very cool knife by the way, it should sharpen up nicely!
      But the serrated side is not made to cut through anything. You could not cut through a fish with it you'd kind of like squoosh through it lol
      It's not like any serrated knife I've ever seen. You couldn't use this to slice through a bagel.
      I do think it is a fish scaler though. Only thing that makes sense and it probably would work well
      Last edited by Aquabach; 01-06-2021, 10:18 AM.
      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

That should work well as a fish scaler, also the finger grooves in the handle will provide a nice grip. When I saw the Solingen name it brought me back to one of my first knives as a young boy, if I remember correctly they were four or five bucks back then.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• cityrepo61
          cityrepo61 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha. I remember those from the late 70s

Looks like a fishing knife to me too, with a scaler on the spine.
        NRA Patron Life Member
        Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
        NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by dougfxdl View Post
          Looks like a fishing knife to me too, with a scaler on the spine.
          ^
          This. Used to see the scale removers on Rapala folding fishing knives in the 70's.
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by tesla View Post
            That should work well as a fish scaler, also the finger grooves in the handle will provide a nice grip. When I saw the Solingen name it brought me back to one of my first knives as a young boy, if I remember correctly they were four or five bucks back then.
            But back then you could buy a brand new car for like $600.

Comment

Working...
            X