Dog training help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog training help

So been having an issue with my Dalmatian the last couple months and last night finally pushed me over the edge to find help. Hes just over 2 years old now and has always been a good sleeper. A couple months ago he started waking up in the middle of the night (2-4am) to go outside. He was peeing and pooping so i didn't think anything of it at first... however as the days went by he kept waking up... then he would spend more time outside exploring the yard rather than going outside doing his thing then coming right back. Last night he wandered around to the point i had to put clothes on go outside into the snow and make him come in. He eats at around 6pm every day, him and i go to sleep around 10-11 and my wife gets home from work around midnight lets him out one more time before coming to bed. The weird thing is if we take him to play with my parents dogs or my friends dog he can sleep straight through the night sometimes till 11am the next day. I want to force him to go back to bed when he cries in the middle of the night but i feel bad if he actually has to go. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We have our first baby due in May so were going to be struggling to sleep as it is.
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

What’s his activity level during the days? Seems like he might have a lot of energy left over at night. Don’t know much about Dalmatians but my lab is like that. If I work late and the wife works late she’s up constantly throughout the night breaking balls.

Comment

And another note dogs have a terrible 2’s just like kids. When we took our dog to training the trainer told us about it and I didn’t believe it. Our lab is 2.5 now and it’s true. She really regressed just acting out and being bad for a couple months.

Comment

oh man this definitely sounds like my Shiba Inu when he was 2.... (magic age indeed) all of a sudden he had much more energy and would wake up at night, but we weren't as lucky as you i guess lol. Instead of going out, he went on a molding rampage, on yes he chewed off ALL OF THE MOLDING! doesn't matter what i spray on them, or how much he ate, he would just chew on it because he was bored.

Dalmatians, just like Shibas are very smart and need stimulation or they'll get bored, pair this with leftover energy and boom, you got yourself a nightmare! . Even to this day, my shiba (now 8 years old) still needs a lot of stimulation or will start fly-biting. One thing I used to do when I'd get home too late and couldn't go for a long walk due to work, I'd put him on the treadmill, he'd be so tired he'd knock right out until the next day!

Comment

lol not what i wanted to hear (2nd reply)... the wife and i work opposite scheduled so hes pretty active all day. Not much more or less than he was before he started waking up. Ive always said we had the anti dalmatian and he didn't need to be ran ragged everyday but maybe i was wrong.
          "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

You have his food time steady and time for him to go out before bed. You've trained him that its ok to go out in the middle if the night. Dalmatians are a working breed dog that need physical stimulation daily. You've already seen that if you let him play with other dogs he sleeps all night. I think he's not getting enough activity. So if it where me its a 2 stage fix. Work him out physically and mentally around 8-9 ish play fetch practice obedience training tug of war whatever. Then make sure your wife lets him out at his usual midnight time. Then the hardest part ignore him when he gets up at 4 to go out and if he continues to wine command him to go lay down. It will take some repetition but he will get up less and less but if its only been happening for the past month it shouldn't be too hard to brake the new habit. It will take consistency and repetition. But realize he trained you now you have to take that power back and train him. Be consistent and firm it will prob be frustrating for the first few nights but be calm and firm he will get on board eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBBLE TAP View Post
              You have his food time steady and time for him to go out before bed. You've trained him that its ok to go out in the middle if the night. Dalmatians are a working breed dog that need physical stimulation daily. You've already seen that if you let him play with other dogs he sleeps all night. I think he's not getting enough activity. So if it where me its a 2 stage fix. Work him out physically and mentally around 8-9 ish play fetch practice obedience training tug of war whatever. Then make sure your wife lets him out at his usual midnight time. Then the hardest part ignore him when he gets up at 4 to go out and if he continues to wine command him to go lay down. It will take some repetition but he will get up less and less but if its only been happening for the past month it shouldn't be too hard to brake the new habit. It will take consistency and repetition. But realize he trained you now you have to take that power back and train him. Be consistent and firm it will prob be frustrating for the first few nights but be calm and firm he will get on board eventually.
              yea this sounds about right i guess. he doesn't play any more or less on a "normal" day than he did before he started getting up but maybe he was still growing then and that was tiring him out as well. Now that hes done growing he probably needs a bit more stimulation than before.

Comment

Sounds like a highly active dog (Dalmations usually are) and not enough exercise.

Many active dogs behave horribly when people don't give them LOTS and LOTS of exercise. If that it, I'm surprised it took this long.
                "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Working...
                X