Dog Health Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Health Insurance

Does anyone here have health insurance for their dog and has used it and had a good experience, if so which insurance? We are picking up a new pup at the end of August and I want to get insurance this time. We had to put my last dog in the emergency vet and she was in and out of the vets office and needed a ton of meds for the last few months of her life and it cost me a fortune.

This is Maggie the Tibetan Terrier.
    1st Photo from Dolores.jpg
    Ben

We had for our cat years ago, got it through our vet Port Jeff Animal Hospital. I think the company was Care Credit, or something like that.

BTW...Maggie is SUPER CUTE!
    Last edited by Mrprovy; 08-03-2022, 10:25 PM. Reason: Cute!
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member:
    Gun Owners of America, American Suppressor Association,
    National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation

Comment

I’m going through quotes right now for pet insurance. I’ll let you know what I come up with.
      Pictures of my new Doberman pup Dutch. And his older German Shorthaired Pointer sister Emma.

CCE905CB-F6E7-41E7-A3A5-335B7F6328DF.jpg

B09AE8A4-8AF8-4DF7-B7A9-DB882CAF6A24.jpg
      Last edited by 67Builder; 08-03-2022, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• mickeyblueyes
        mickeyblueyes commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck I have a 10 month old dobi puppy.
        If you have never had one before…..get ready they are no ordinary dogs.

• Ricekila
        Ricekila commented
        Editing a comment
        With the size of those paws ---- how long before he gets his own room ?

• bigbore44
        bigbore44 commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot remember the last time I saw a Doberman. Sharp lookin pooch.

Maggie is gorgeous.

Lots of variables with pet insurance. With our last dog we considered it but she was a rescue and already 6’ish when we got her. Turns out she became very sick and we spent a pile caring for her, pet insurance would have been a very good investment.
      Deductibles, exclusions and whether your vet accepts as payment or you have to chase reimbursement are important to consider. Our vet always recommended it and they liked Embrace over others.

Good luck w Maggie .

Comment

My mom has had pet insurance on every single one, and eventually they all paid out when needed, without any hassle whatsoever. I will find out the info tomorrow and get it to you. 30yr history at least, with this process, no regrets.

Comment

Adorable pup!

I never got the insurance, although planned to many times...
          “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
          Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• TTSkipper
            TTSkipper commented
            Editing a comment
            The last 6 months of our last dog's life cost at least $8000, I won't go without insurance again.

• bigbore44
            bigbore44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, usually all it takes is one surgical procedure, and you are forever glad you had it. Some might say to just put what you would pay in premiums, into a separate savings acct, but either way it's a risk. Ymmv.

• Dan 0351
            Dan 0351 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, cost me about $2k two months ago in a losing effort.

Adorable pup!! Good luck with her!

Not to add to the horror stories .... we didn't have insurance for our last JRT. We spent about $5K in the last month of her life on vet bills & cancer treatments ...... we would have done ANYTHING for her!

We have Pets Best for our new JRT .... its been 10 years now & haven't had to use it so I can't speak to their service.

My advice is to get it & get it early! ..... we have a 4 yo JRT rescue too ..... premium would have been insane compared to the puppy. We're taking our chances with him

Comment

Love the pup! Great looking dog.

I use pets best for my asshole. It allowed the flexibility to devise a plan I thought was best suited for me - which basically means.....higher deductible, doesn't cover well visits (they're typically cheap anyway), but it allows me uncapped (IIRC) emergency care etc. I pay out of pocket at the Vet and then get reimbursed form Pets Best. Back when I started last year, they took about 2 months to pay out.....they've gotten better and have it down to about a month or so. My premium was 800 for the year with 500 deductible. I think I got paid back about 5-600 so a $200 loss..........worth the gamble should anything go wrong with asshole, an English Bulldog whom are known to have health issues......although I did my research to find a good breeder, who the hell knows what could happen.

My current vet I believe pushes Trupanion, and they pay the vet direct.....but be prepared to pay. For my dog, I got some stupid quotes from them....for what they wanted, I'd just as soon buy a new puppy every 3 years and call it a day.

All depends upon what you're looking for. Cheaper premium but covered for major issues vs Pay a shit ton up front and may or may not use it.

Yes, I love my lil fucktard and couldn't resist posting a picture of him getting some from a certain member on here. DIESEL said he was excellent but didn't last very long.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Diesel1; 08-04-2022, 11:13 AM.
            The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

I use Pets Best but not sure its worth it at this point.... between the deductibles, whats covered and whats not, and the total coverage.... even if there is an issue of some kind its break even at best
              "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

my dog is a Chihuahua

he gets free medical

Comment

Good question. I would ask the vet's office for some advice on what they recommend, and what they accept. My guy just turned 3, and at 14 months had to go through heartworm treatment. Merck Pet Pharmaceuticals paid for the whole thing because he took their pill every month from the time he was 11 weeks old. The whole treatment cost over $3200.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• OUTRAGED
                    OUTRAGED commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad yours recovered from the heartworms.
                    I'm interested in where you believe your pup acquired heartworm. Was it on Long Island or down south.

I ask cuz I've come to believe that heartworm cases on LI are southern rescues imported or the pup that summers in the South. Mine doesn't winter in the South or get kenneled with other dogs, so I've passed on heartworm prevention so far and never had a problem.

• Pat M
                    Pat M commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Neither the vet nor Merck could explain how he tested positive after taking Sentinel on the same day every month. We adopted him from Rescue Dogs Rock NYC when he was 11 weeks old. He was in a litter of 8 puppies that were transported from TX, all suffering from parvo. Two of the pups died, and our guy was treated by the rescue at West Hills Vets. I suspect he was infected with heartworm as a newborn in TX.

• Pat M
                    Pat M commented
                    Editing a comment
                    By the way, Sentinel also prevents intestinal parasites and flea reproduction. He also gets K9 Advantix II to prevent fleas, ticks, and mosquito bites.

I looked into it several years ago. The cost goes up every month and they don't cover much.

John

Comment

Had dogs for 25 years in my house, looked into it, said fuck that, too damn expensive, breed specific issues usually not covered, honestly until my 5th pup, never spent much, she had two acl surgeries at $4k a pop, so I broke even lol. I’d not get it for next pup

Comment

Our couch potato Gracie had a wellness plan through our Vets office. When she turned six we got her a insurance plan as well as the Wellness Plan. Our insurance is through the APSCA as I have found the are the best. I hate that it’s with the ASPCA but Gracie is more important.
                      Good luck with the cute pup.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

We use Healthy Paws. You pick coverage and deductible

Comment

Working...
                        X