Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We want to rescue a puppy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    We want to rescue a puppy

    Our rescuedog Leo does not do well with other dogs at all, not even a little bit. I am being told he will be better with a puppy. I have my doubts, can anyone please shed some light? We want to have another dog, but I dont want Leo hurting the Puppy. Leo is a full Bread American Staffordshire terrier we rescued, with people he is the best. He was in a crate most of his life and had zero interaction with other dogs.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
    - James Madison

    #2
    It all depends.

    You need to know if he can socialize with calm well balanced dogs first.
    A trainer would definitely help and be able to guide you to if your dog can be socilaized. Which you should want anyway.
    Dogs are pack animals. If he can't handle other dogs he's suffering in some way.

    What happened that you said he doesn't do well with other dogs not even a little bit?

    BTW, I have a really well socialized dog. He ignores anxious or aggressive dogs.
    If you're wiilling to let me hold your dogs leash i'd try to introduce them.
    But I'd really like to know what problems he's had in the past
    Last edited by Aquabach; 05-04-2016, 07:19 PM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
      Our rescuedog Leo does not do well with other dogs at all, not even a little bit. I am being told he will be better with a puppy. I have my doubts, can anyone please shed some light? We want to have another dog, but I dont want Leo hurting the Puppy. Leo is a full Bread American Staffordshire terrier we rescued, with people he is the best. He was in a crate most of his life and had zero interaction with other dogs.
      Staffordshire terrier, AKA pit Bull, Great dogs but once taught aggression it is not a correctable behavior, When I say Taught I do not mean you taught it or anything. I mean that they are great dogs and are not naturally aggressive

      Comment


        #4
        Honestly, if he is a rescue pit, he was possibly used for fighting, I would not bring another dog into the house.
        Ben

        Comment


          #5
          You might be better with a cat. For some reason dog aggressive dogs seem to be able to socialize well with cats. (Not all cats, and not all dogs are the same)

          Comment


            #6
            Do a Google search for nybullycrew. They have many YouTube videos worth watching. Located in bellport a little rough on the appearance department. But world of experience with the bully breads. My family and I have volunteered there many time nothing but positive to say about them. Good luck

            Comment


              #7
              Here is what has happened so far, when we first got him, my wife was walking him on his leash, when a dog not n a leash, ran towards them. Leo sat on my wifes feet, and waited for the other dog to come closer, once he went fr my wife, Leo Picked him up by the back of his neck and tossed him away. The owners of the other dog were sorry, but no real damage done. The next day my wife was walking him on the leash again, when our neighbors little terrier got out, and again, Leo sat on my wifes feet, and waited. The Terrier bit Leo's foot, and my dog pinned him. No biting, just his legs. My friend AJ came over the house with his Husky, and we tried, but the both bit each others paws in mid air. We went to Petco to a dog rescue, found a beautiful female that looked like Leo, and we could not get her near him. He first sat on my sons feet, then stood up, got all barrel chested, dug in like he was going t charge, and we walked her away. We dont think he was a fighting dog, just never taught any social skills with other animals. He does not like cats either, we have strays on the block, and he barks like hell at them.
              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
              - Thomas Jefferson

              "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
              - James Madison

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Mike777 View Post
                Do a Google search for nybullycrew. They have many YouTube videos worth watching. Located in bellport a little rough on the appearance department. But world of experience with the bully breads. My family and I have volunteered there many time nothing but positive to say about them. Good luck
                Thats who has the puppies. They came here fora home check and met Leo. They think he will do fine.
                "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                - Thomas Jefferson

                "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                - James Madison

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
                  Here is what has happened so far, when we first got him, my wife was walking him on his leash, when a dog not n a leash, ran towards them. Leo sat on my wifes feet, and waited for the other dog to come closer, once he went fr my wife, Leo Picked him up by the back of his neck and tossed him away. The owners of the other dog were sorry, but no real damage done. The next day my wife was walking him on the leash again, when our neighbors little terrier got out, and again, Leo sat on my wifes feet, and waited. The Terrier bit Leo's foot, and my dog pinned him. No biting, just his legs. My friend AJ came over the house with his Husky, and we tried, but the both bit each others paws in mid air. We went to Petco to a dog rescue, found a beautiful female that looked like Leo, and we could not get her near him. He first sat on my sons feet, then stood up, got all barrel chested, dug in like he was going t charge, and we walked her away. We dont think he was a fighting dog, just never taught any social skills with other animals. He does not like cats either, we have strays on the block, and he barks like hell at them.
                  Sounds like he is protecting the alpha, he might be able to be trained to be with other dogs.
                  Ben

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We are hoping so, he is the best dog we have ever owned.
                    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                    - Thomas Jefferson

                    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                    - James Madison

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Slightly OT but if you are looking for a 15 year old Lab who can't walk anymore and farts all the time I might be able to help you.
                      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by class3 View Post
                        Slightly OT but if you are looking for a 15 year old Lab who can't walk anymore and farts all the time I might be able to help you.
                        We had one, put him down last July. 13 years old. Miss my pup.
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

                        "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                        - James Madison

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This is gonna sound fucked up, but It happens. It was how my dog WAS.

                          My dog (Rescue pit) was LEASH aggressive towards dogs. I couldnt bring him near another dog without him lunging at another dog. Buddy of mine who has a pit also that is EXTREMELY calm and good with dogs brought his dog near mine.. Mine wasnt having it.. We walked them passed eachother on opposite sides of the street, correcting when nessecary, then brought them closer and closer... Then he tells me take him off the leash.. i looked at him like he was fuckin nuts... sure as shit, I took him off the leash. they ran around became bestfriends.. It turns out he was leash aggressive. We keep him on a pinch collar, and his behavior did a 180. We also had him through training with a dog trainer... Now hes not leash aggressive anymore, LOVES playing with dogs, goes to the dog park everyday.

                          Steve

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Some very good training and behavioral places out there. We work closely with a place who rescues (lots of Pit's) and trains them to be service and companion animals. Their success rate is crazy good.
                            PM if you want contact info. Can't hurt to just have a conversation with them.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              We did social training where you walk dogs on either side of street opposite directions. Then the same direction slowly bringing them closer together. Takes some time and work always on a lead. Done this a dozen times world very well research the technique. Very happy with the results. Both my dogs a catahula hound and red nose refuse to be friendly with the squirrels.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X