RECALL: Kidde Fire Extinguishers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

So, they make you send the old ones back?
    They send instructions with the replacements to put the defective units in the packaging that the replacements came in, slap on the included FedEx label and call FedEx for pickup (I skipped that last part, as we get FedEx pickup regularly at work).

They DO NOT collect any payment information, so I suppose you could hold onto them if you wanted to. However, the old extinguishers are defective, so I wouldn't keep them hanging on a wall, and they would be illegal to sell (because they're recalled), and illegal to dump (because they're pressurized). I considered using them first as a training aid for my kids, and if the ones I had were type BC filled with sodium bicarbonate, I'd probably have done that (before returning them), but I didn't want the mess in my yard of the ABC powder, and my children have already had practice with extinguishers anyway.

So what would you do with the old ones other than send them back for destruction and recycling?

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post
      So what would you do with the old ones other than send them back for destruction and recycling?
      I'd stake my mother-in-law's life on them. "Here ya' go Ma!! Just in case."
      I don't need a gun.
      I have never needed a gun.
      I hope I never need a gun and in all likelihood, I will never need a gun.
      However, if I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun.
      Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
      Chris

Comment

They send instructions with the replacements to put the defective units in the packaging that the replacements came in, slap on the included FedEx label and call FedEx for pickup (I skipped that last part, as we get FedEx pickup regularly at work).

They DO NOT collect any payment information, so I suppose you could hold onto them if you wanted to. However, the old extinguishers are defective, so I wouldn't keep them hanging on a wall, and they would be illegal to sell (because they're recalled), and illegal to dump (because they're pressurized). I considered using them first as a training aid for my kids, and if the ones I had were type BC filled with sodium bicarbonate, I'd probably have done that (before returning them), but I didn't want the mess in my yard of the ABC powder, and my children have already had practice with extinguishers anyway.

I might use the can for something... Tanks can make nice bells, aluminum ones can be used for tube stock...

Comment

In all likelihood, they'll work fine. All 3 of mine are NOT part of the recall. One is probably 20 years old and it's still in the green. The other two are about 10 years old, also in the green. That doesn't mean they'll all work but even though they're all probably past the shelf life doesn't mean they wont either. That's why I have 3. Next time I see a sale at BJs or somewhere, I'll buy a couple more. I'll probably put the oldest one in the car. If it doesn't work when the time comes, hopefully, it'll be somebody els'e's car on fire. And if it does, I'll be a hero.
          Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 12-05-2017, 09:45 PM.
          I don't need a gun.
          Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
            In all likelihood, they'll work fine. All 3 of mine are NOT part of the recall. One is probably 20 years old and it's still in the green. The other two are about 10 years old, also in the green. That doesn't mean they'll all work but even though they're all probably past the shelf life doesn't mean they wont either. That's why I have 3. Next time I see a sale at BJs or somewhere, I'll buy a couple more. I'll probably put the oldest one in the car. If it doesn't work when the time comes, hopefully, it'll be somebody els'e's car on fire. And if it does, I'll be a hero.
            Make sure you shake them up occasionally. The powder can become packed in the bottom and you'll get a nice stream of gas with no powder if that happens. I invert mine and shake them about every 6 months or so, but I'm a bit particular about it, having needed extinguishers and needed them NOW
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Tannerite
              Reminiscing about WP rounds

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Make sure you shake them up occasionally. ...
                Yup. I do that.

I don't need a gun.
                Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
                Chris

Comment

Just got two in the mail yesterday. They enclosed free shipping and instruct one to use the same boxes and styrofoam peanuts to send them back via fedex. (Have to use those boxes as the old extinguishers are still pressurized and the boxes have a warning label imprinted.)

But what if one doesn't return the recalled ones ?

Comment

Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
                    Just got two in the mail yesterday. They enclosed free shipping and instruct one to use the same boxes and styrofoam peanuts to send them back via fedex. (Have to use those boxes as the old extinguishers are still pressurized and the boxes have a warning label imprinted.)

But what if one doesn't return the recalled ones ?
                    The mattress tag police come after you?

Comment

No, and I don't expect that Kidde will enlist any retired fire marshalls either. I thought I might throw the "unsafe at any fire" recalled extinguishers into the truck so I can play Good Samaritan one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

I might use the can for something... Tanks can make nice bells, aluminum ones can be used for tube stock...
                        These aren't high pressure cylinders, so they'd make shitty bells. And they're aluminum. I'm all about saving scrap metal, but the value of the cylinder to me was already very low, and weighed against the response my wife would give after seeing the mess from depressurizing these to save the metal, I decided that sending them back made the most sense.

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Make sure you shake them up occasionally. The powder can become packed in the bottom and you'll get a nice stream of gas with no powder if that happens. I invert mine and shake them about every 6 months or so, but I'm a bit particular about it, having needed extinguishers and needed them NOW
                        I've read many people repeat this wive's tail on the internet, but have NEVER seen a manufacturer recommend this. I have also read anecdotal evidence that overly vigorous shaking can dislodge the plastic dip tube (probably something that was replaced with metal in these recalled units), rendering them useless.

If you feel the need to loosen the powder up, simply inverting it several times would probably be as effective as shaking, and less likely to lead to a failure. Just sayin'.

Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
                        No, and I don't expect that Kidde will enlist any retired fire marshalls either. I thought I might throw the "unsafe at any fire" recalled extinguishers into the truck so I can play Good Samaritan one day.
                        If you plan to use it, wouldn't you feel better using one that you expected to work?

Comment

These aren't high pressure cylinders, so they'd make shitty bells. And they're aluminum. I'm all about saving scrap metal, but the value of the cylinder to me was already very low, and weighed against the response my wife would give after seeing the mess from depressurizing these to save the metal, I decided that sending them back made the most sense.

I've read many people repeat this wive's tail on the internet, but have NEVER seen a manufacturer recommend this. I have also read anecdotal evidence that overly vigorous shaking can dislodge the plastic dip tube (probably something that was replaced with metal in these recalled units), rendering them useless.

If you feel the need to loosen the powder up, simply inverting it several times would probably be as effective as shaking, and less likely to lead to a failure. Just sayin'.

If you plan to use it, wouldn't you feel better using one that you expected to work?
                          Wives tale? No

Comment

Personal experience says otherwise

Comment

If you own a boat, don't forget to check those too.

Comment

I don't shake mine. I just turn it repeatedly until it feels like all the solids are suspended. 30 seconds or so usually does it.
                                I don't need a gun.
                                Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X