Installed a Ring camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed a Ring camera

so since i am in Vt. all summer i decided to try a Ring camera to monitor my front door ( and spy on the tenant )

easy setup , good clarity , very pleased with the system

Ring camera is the best. I love catching the delivery guys throwing boxes at my garage door instead of walking it to the front door. It also caught my car sliding out of the driveway on ice over the winter and me chasing it.

Comment

• EvoEmpire
      EvoEmpire commented
      Editing a comment
      the car chase video wasn't posted here because....????

• NG9588
      NG9588 commented
      Editing a comment
      It actually was posted in a thread about the winter storm a few months back lol but long buried now I imagine

Well, you are going to LOVE this:

There’s an eyebrow-raising technology buried inside millions of Amazon Echo smart speakers and Ring security cameras. They have the ability to make a new kind of wireless network called Sidewalk that shares a slice of your home Internet connection with your neighbors’ devices.

And on Tuesday, Amazon is switching Sidewalk on — for everyone. (that's today 6-8-21)

I’m digging into my settings to turn it off. Sidewalk, which is built into Amazon devices dating back to 2018, raises more red flags than a marching band parade: Is it secure enough to be activated in so many homes? Are we helping Amazon build a vast network that can be used for more surveillance? And why didn’t Amazon ask us to opt-in before activating a capability lying dormant in our devices?

Sidewalk will blanket urban and suburban America with a low-bandwidth wireless network that can stretch half a mile and reach places and things that were once too hard or too expensive to connect. It could have many positive uses, such as making it easier to set up smart-home devices in places your WiFi doesn’t reach. (That can help your neighbors, and you.) But by participating, you also have no control over what sort of data you’re helping to transmit. In communities where Amazon Ring devices already over-police many doors and driveways, Sidewalk could power more surveillance, more trackers — maybe even Amazon drones.

Amazon seems oblivious to many obvious consumer concerns with its increasingly invasive technology. So let me say it: Remotely activating our devices to build a closed Internet of Amazon is not okay.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ewalk-network/

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• oshwan
      oshwan commented
      Editing a comment
      Till they turn it back on when they need it or after there is another software update.

• LI Ammo
      LI Ammo commented
      Editing a comment
      It will turn back on every time you add a device, and possibly when you hard reboot with a power outage.

• SemiAutoFetish
      SemiAutoFetish commented
      Editing a comment
      keep those devices on UPS backup....it will help

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

There’s an eyebrow-raising technology buried inside millions of Amazon Echo smart speakers and Ring security cameras. They have the ability to make a new kind of wireless network called Sidewalk that shares a slice of your home Internet connection with your neighbors’ devices.

And on Tuesday, Amazon is switching Sidewalk on — for everyone. (that's today 6-8-21)

I’m digging into my settings to turn it off. Sidewalk, which is built into Amazon devices dating back to 2018, raises more red flags than a marching band parade: Is it secure enough to be activated in so many homes? Are we helping Amazon build a vast network that can be used for more surveillance? And why didn’t Amazon ask us to opt-in before activating a capability lying dormant in our devices?

Sidewalk will blanket urban and suburban America with a low-bandwidth wireless network that can stretch half a mile and reach places and things that were once too hard or too expensive to connect. It could have many positive uses, such as making it easier to set up smart-home devices in places your WiFi doesn’t reach. (That can help your neighbors, and you.) But by participating, you also have no control over what sort of data you’re helping to transmit. In communities where Amazon Ring devices already over-police many doors and driveways, Sidewalk could power more surveillance, more trackers — maybe even Amazon drones.

Amazon seems oblivious to many obvious consumer concerns with its increasingly invasive technology. So let me say it: Remotely activating our devices to build a closed Internet of Amazon is not okay.

Wow.. Thanks for posting.. I just checked my Ring app. It looks like only the Floodlight Cam and Spotlight Cam devices are Sidewalk enabled. But I'm going to watch out..

Comment

it serves it 's purpose for now

Comment

Just remember that you're now sharing your internet with the neighbors. Every 15-year old in the neighborhood will be trying to hack into your home wireless network. It's only a matter of time before they'll be a cellphone app that will allow a kid hacker to "see" into your internet searches, and he won't even have to leave his bedroom to see it.

.If you pay for "limited" internet , you will be running the risk of paying more every month.

SO many bad ideas here.
        LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
          SemiAutoFetish commented
          Editing a comment
          Time to pick up the 'ol "Cyber Security for Dummies" book and start reading. With just a little knowledge and comprehension, you can go a long ways with tightening things up from a network security perspective.

Just remember that you're now sharing your internet with the neighbors. Every 15-year old in the neighborhood will be trying to hack into your home wireless network. It's only a matter of time before they'll be a cellphone app that will allow a kid hacker to "see" into your internet searches, and he won't even have to leave his bedroom to see it.

.If you pay for "limited" internet , you will be running the risk of paying more every month.

SO many bad ideas here.
        well I am in Vt. . My tenant is using the interweb on her laptop . The only device I have there is my router / cable hookup .

so what would a person be hacking that's my personal shit ?

Comment

I have a Ring doorbell, no security cameras.

It sucks. About a month after I installed it, it stopped taking and storing snapshots. Customer service was useless. It starts recording video when it senses motion but the first 5-10 seconds is choppy and broken. Also, it only records as long as you set it to record. 20, 30, ... seconds. It stops recording even if there's still motion.

There's a lot of latency in the system too. I've never gotten the notification on my phone in time to answer the doorbell. By the time the live video comes up on my phone, the person is gone or walking away. Nobody would be fooled into thinking I'm in the house.

Then, there are the idiotic neighborhood alerts about lost pets and "shots fired" every time somebody hears fireworks.

Don't bother.

I hear Simply Safe is better.
          Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 06-08-2021, 03:57 PM.
          • To be human is to be armed.
          • Ideology is the nemesis of intellect.
          • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.

Comment

• Diesel1
            Diesel1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you 110%. Installed mine years ago. One of the original devices...maybe the 2nd gen. Worked great initially, could set zones easier, etc. Now, same issues. My alerts are delayed too much, I have had to reprogram it twice now. My safety screws rusted out and I had to dremel slots to use a flat head. The thing is basically useless now and I'm starting to look at alternates because I do like having it, when it works properly like when I first installed. It never gave me issues until recently when the battery suddenly went to Zero after staying at no less than 95% the previous 2-3 years.

Originally posted by warmnfuzzy View Post

well I am in Vt. . My tenant is using the interweb on her laptop . The only device I have there is my router / cable hookup .

so what would a person be hacking that's my personal shit ?
          Well, things going over the Sidewalk will include everything that Amazon Ring and Echo Speakers and your internet enabled device see or hear.
          So, your sex talk with your goldfish, grunting sounds from your bedroom (while sleeping of course) conversations with your heroin dealer, fights with your tenants, your credit card numbers when you give them to customer service on the phone, or use it on the web. Everything said in hearing distance of your Ring outside the house, like telling your neighbor to stay the fuck out of your garage, or asking a neighbor to look after your pets while you are out hunting.
          Pictures you take on your phone that connect to your computer or cloud storage, or you send over your wireless to another phone. Everything your tenant's laptop sees. Unless she/he put tape over the camera, you tenant is recording you every time you see him/her at the laptop.

The list is endless. As far as Amazon is concerned, they're comparing every word you say and every bowel movement you have to a database of similar people so that they can mine that information for money. If they can't sell you something, they will just keep selling your data until somebody else sells you something, then they'll deliver it.

Comment

Well, things going over the Sidewalk will include everything that Amazon Ring and Echo Speakers and your internet enabled device see or hear.
            So, your sex talk with your goldfish, grunting sounds from your bedroom (while sleeping of course) conversations with your heroin dealer, fights with your tenants, your credit card numbers when you give them to customer service on the phone, or use it on the web. Everything said in hearing distance of your Ring outside the house, like telling your neighbor to stay the fuck out of your garage, or asking a neighbor to look after your pets while you are out hunting.
            Pictures you take on your phone that connect to your computer or cloud storage, or you send over your wireless to another phone. Everything your tenant's laptop sees. Unless she/he put tape over the camera, you tenant is recording you every time you see him/her at the laptop.

The list is endless. As far as Amazon is concerned, they're comparing every word you say and every bowel movement you have to a database of similar people so that they can mine that information for money. If they can't sell you something, they will just keep selling your data until somebody else sells you something, then they'll deliver it.

how is it going to do all that to me while i am in Vf.

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
              SemiAutoFetish commented
              Editing a comment
              They have sidewalks over in your neck of the woods in VT?

I had a ring doorbell a few years ago, swapped it out for a nest doorbell; I found the nest cameras to have much better night quality. I also like the constant recording and app interface of the nest system much better
            Life Member:
            American Suppressor Association
            Gun Owners of America
            Second Amendment Foundation
            National Rifle Association

Comment

Drawbacks, motion is not immediately recorded. Sometimes not at all. Loses wifi at random times. Motion record is sometimes too short to catch events in totality. Remote viewing can be spotty as it can time out when trying to connect remotely to live view. even with Ring units @ 100% wireless connectivity. I always will install a hardwire camera to backup a Ring. Night vision can be very grainy. I have had over a dozen door bell Ring fail in the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post
                Drawbacks, motion is not immediately recorded. Sometimes not at all. Loses wifi at random times. Motion record is sometimes too short to catch events in totality. Remote viewing can be spotty as it can time out when trying to connect remotely to live view. even with Ring units @ 100% wireless connectivity. I always will install a hardwire camera to backup a Ring. Night vision can be very grainy. I have had over a dozen door bell Ring fail in the last 2 years.
                i just wanted to half ass monitor my place while i am in Vt

Comment

Originally posted by warmnfuzzy View Post

i just wanted to half ass monitor my place while i am in Vt
                  Its good so long as your expectations for it are realistic. I see so many people who buy wireless Arlo and Ring then get disappointed.

Comment

Not sure if they still do it but Optimum ran wireless Hotspot off every router that anyone with an account could log into. Think guest account that they controlled but that could not see your network without some work. Thats why there were Optimum Hotspots everywhere.

Comment

• rlitman
                      rlitman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They sure still do. It's an SSID that's baked into their routers. That was one reason I didn't use their router. And yes, it's no better than Sidewalk. It's just been around for longer.
                  Working...
                  X