Installed a Ring camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

All the time. The Ring camera sends a constant stream of data up to the "cloud". If you're looking at old videos (anything going back more than a couple of minutes), you're pulling them from the cloud. If you're looking at it live, it's a little different, but functionally, the distinction probably doesn't matter to you.
    so is this fundamentally any different than me being online at home? ( without the ring system ) you get my drift ?

Comment

Originally posted by warmnfuzzy View Post

so is this fundamentally any different than me being online at home? ( without the ring system ) you get my drift ?
      I do. I'll admit to having three Ring cameras. No, they don't introduce any major network vulnerabilities you need to be concerned with. Or, at least, you've got a lot bigger holes in your network than from Ring cameras (is that better?). I would not have a Ring camera inside though. Mine are all outdoors. And they are a supplement to my NVR, not a replacement.

Comment

I have a Blink system, I get lots of great cat videos at night.
      Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Here's the thing... you used to have the Ring camera ( and all your devices) go to the cloud from your house and off to your phone when you wanted to see it. Just like all your other internet capable devices. You shared your connection with the secure internet provider that you pay and trust to get you on to the web.

Now, with the new Sidewalk system, 98% (more or less) of your internet will go straight out of your house and on its way, but 2% of your internet connection will be woven together by Amazon into a bundle that Amazon will be using for their own needs. That little bundle will be just a bit of your bandwidth (identifiable as yours) mixed together with as many other internet connections as they need to complete one packet. (you did not get asked by Amazon for permission to use it either)

Imagine a two inch wide bundle of thousands of fishing lines, running from house to house (even far away houses) and then reaching into the cloud.

Now imagine that one of those lines starts at your computer and Ring camera, (and Siri, Alexa, wireless thermostat, laptop, etc,) , and everyone else's house has their own line attached to their own computer. So along comes a big tough guy (a hacker eating Doritos) and he pulls that line so hard it tears out of your house and all your neighbor's houses taking all you devices with it. Or, the hacker can look into that fishing line and see everything your devices do or see.

Sharing access to your data is fundamentally the opposite of security.

Especially if you are not home, do you want to give everyone access to your Ring? Not to hard to figure out who's home and who isn't if I can see into your Ring system, I might even be able to lock you out of seeing it.
        LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• rlitman
          rlitman commented
          Editing a comment
          <sigh> I think that's closer to Ted Stevens "series of tubes" than reality, but I do agree that Sidewalk = Bad.

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

Here's the thing... you used to have the Ring camera ( and all your devices) go to the cloud from your house and off to your phone when you wanted to see it. Just like all your other internet capable devices. You shared your connection with the secure internet provider that you pay and trust to get you on to the web.

Now, with the new Sidewalk system, 98% (more or less) of your internet will go straight out of your house and on its way, but 2% of your internet connection will be woven together by Amazon into a bundle that Amazon will be using for their own needs. That little bundle will be just a bit of your bandwidth (identifiable as yours) mixed together with as many other internet connections as they need to complete one packet. (you did not get asked by Amazon for permission to use it either)

Imagine a two inch wide bundle of thousands of fishing lines, running from house to house (even far away houses) and then reaching into the cloud.

Now imagine that one of those lines starts at your computer and Ring camera, (and Siri, Alexa, wireless thermostat, laptop, etc,) , and everyone else's house has their own line attached to their own computer. So along comes a big tough guy (a hacker eating Doritos) and he pulls that line so hard it tears out of your house and all your neighbor's houses taking all you devices with it. Or, the hacker can look into that fishing line and see everything your devices do or see.

Sharing access to your data is fundamentally the opposite of security.

Especially if you are not home, do you want to give everyone access to your Ring? Not to hard to figure out who's home and who isn't if I can see into your Ring system, I might even be able to lock you out of seeing it.
        so if i were able to shunt the sidewalk bs i would be ok ?

Comment

so if i were able to shunt the sidewalk bs i would be ok ?
          Yes. Just remember, Amazon is smarter than you about internet things. They will think of every way to get it turned back on. Every new thing you buy or plug in or reboot will likely set it back to the default value, which is ON.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• rlitman
            rlitman commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately, you're probably right.

Originally posted by spider View Post
          I have a Blink system, I get lots of great cat videos at night.
          Have you seen a spider spinning a web for hours yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

Not yet. It's windy. The Crescent Club kicks up a breeze.
            Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

I had a spider set off the person detection on my driveway floodlight cam in the middle of the night once. I sprayed wasp spray around the electrical box. Never saw it again.

Comment

My Ring doorbell gets great video of the deer feasting on my wife’s garden in the front yard!

Comment

Working...
                X