Nassau Alarm Fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nassau Alarm Fee

Why do we have to pay this fee? My alarm is not connected to the police/fire, it goes thru a central station. I do not have false alarms that have resulted in the police being called. Other than another tax, why is there a fee? Also, what happens if I don’t pay it? So sick of being nickel and dimes to death.

just because PEASANT...you must pay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by undrwtr1 View Post
      Why do we have to pay this fee? My alarm is not connected to the police/fire, it goes thru a central station. I do not have false alarms that have resulted in the police being called. Other than another tax, why is there a fee? Also, what happens if I don’t pay it? So sick of being nickel and dimes to death.
      Suffolk has been doing this for a few years. Your alarm company will call the PD or FD as needed and you will be fined for not having the permit plus a false alarm call fee if that is what it was. I know this first hand. My dog set off my alarm twice and the PD was sent. I got two $50.00 fines for a false alarms and another $50 fine for not having a permit. Then it was another $50 to obtain the permit. Permit get renewed every 2 years for $50. I agree that this is just another money grab. Can't wait to leave this fucking state!
      Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

• Sig
        Sig commented
        Editing a comment
        Get a bigger dog & ditch the alarm.

• ChiefSailer
        ChiefSailer commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an 82 pound Shepherd Collie mix. That's big enough for me.

Always hated that fee. After WFT thanks to the rona, i was finally able to convince my wife to allow me to jettison our ADT system. I did replace with a bunch of Blink cameras stationed all around my house. NO FEES.

Comment

nassau and suffolk charge alarm fees, yup, just to have a fire alarm ...residential cost is one fee, commercial/business is way, way higher
        High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
          SemiAutoFetish commented
          Editing a comment
          surprised they don't charge us to make 911 calls...

Alarm was installed back in the 90s - have been paying it all this time. Just curious what happens if I say screw it and don't pay.

Comment

• OUTRAGED
          OUTRAGED commented
          Editing a comment
          If your alarm company has to call anything in and you don't have a permit it's a fine. If in 2 decades you took the gamble and didn't get a permit you'd be ahead ! Your choice now.

• TTSkipper
          TTSkipper commented
          Editing a comment
          Outraged is right, I have been in my house for 10 years, I paid the fee the first 2 and once I knew I wasn't getting false alarms I stopped.

• 100MPG
          100MPG commented
          Editing a comment
          they probably sell your address to the local thugs...

What if your alarm is not routed to an alarm company or the police?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• ChiefSailer
          ChiefSailer commented
          Editing a comment
          If the PD or FD are not called to your house via your alarm or alarm company etc. I would think that there is no fee or fine for the alarm sounding.

You don’t have to pay, but as soon as your alarm goes off and central monitoring sends the cops, you pay.

We also pay a separate fee to the local Fire Department. I think it’s $75 for three years or something like that.

Just add it to the list of reasons to get out of this sinkhole.

Why do we pay $200 for our pistol license in Nassau and Suffolk pays $20?

Just add it to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by stymie cosentino View Post
          Always hated that fee. After WFT thanks to the rona, i was finally able to convince my wife to allow me to jettison our ADT system. I did replace with a bunch of Blink cameras stationed all around my house. NO FEES.
          Blink is the way to go.
          Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
            What if your alarm is not routed to an alarm company or the police?
            There is no permit requirement for any "self monitored" alarm systems. If YOU call the police or fire department directly, there are no fines for not having an alarm permit. They may still prosecute you for other things if your calls start to become a nuisance, but you're not a Karen...

However, if you have a central station call the police or fire on your behalf (or if heaven forbid, you have some crappy auto-dialer from Radio Shack from the 1980's), there may be permit requirements that technically begin at the time the system is installed. My understanding is that they tend to give you at least one false-alarm call before fining, you, so in theory you could get away without a permit until you're caught. Of course, this depends on your jurisdiction. For me, I have a permits from NCPD ($100 for 2 years; file online) and NCFD ($90 for 3 years; file by mail).

But, it's a little more complicated than that. Central station operators must be licensed to operate in NYS (this much is licensed by the state, not the county), and they've been known to be harassed by jurisdictions to make sure that their customers have permits (where applicable), with threats to pull their license if they don't stay on top of this. How much pull NCPD has with NYS is something I'm not clear on.

Keep this in mind. You do not get an alarm protection certificate you can present to your insurance company for a discount when you have a self monitored system. The homeowner's insurance rebate check I got back when I submitted my central station monitored burglary/fire/CO/flood/freeze certificate covered the cost of my permits, plus a good chunk of my central station fees (ok, I've got a REALLY good rate, but still, it's worth considering central station over self monitored).

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
            You don’t have to pay, but as soon as your alarm goes off and central monitoring sends the cops, you pay.

We also pay a separate fee to the local Fire Department. I think it’s $75 for three years or something like that.

Just add it to the list.
            Again, I doubt that the cops will fine you on the first call out, but I don't doubt they'll fine you on the second. So far, I have not had my burglar alarm dispatch anyone. The few times I've set it off, I either disarmed it before central station got alerted, or called them off before they called the cops. The real reason for permits is that it was not uncommon for burglar alarms to have large numbers of false alarms from motion sensors before the days of pet safe motion detectors. I can't say I've had a false alarm from one of my motion sensors yet.

I did have a false alarm from a smoke detector once (I believe it was caused by a nebulizer treatment shortly before). Central station treats fire differently from burglary, and while they do call down the call out list, they dispatch fire within 30 seconds, so if the first phone on the list doesn't pick up on the first ring, you won't have a chance to prevent the dispatch. Anyway, the Fire Marshall showed up quickly (he lives down the block, and the Chief is my next door neighbor), and did his due diligence before leaving without rolling a truck, and nobody asked about my permit. I still don't see it as money wasted. FYI, CO is treated under another special category of immediate dispatch, where NO calls can prevent the FD from showing up.

Regardless, police (and fire departments) being sent on wild goose chases from errant alarm systems are an expensive issue that should not be the burden of taxpayers without alarms. I personally don't want to pay any more taxes and fees than are due from me, but I'm also all for paying for the services I expect to receive, and I really don't have an issue with alarm permit fees. I DO have a HUGE issue with the Nassau County pistol license fee. And as egregious as that is, the pistol license fingerprinting fee is even more of an outrage, when fingerprinting for anything else down the hall is $15 (or was at least, the last time I was there).

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post

Just add it to the list.
              Suffolk fee is $10 every five years. Nassau charges want it wants because the law states nassau county legislators can regulate the fees
              Last edited by Citypaul1; 11-16-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Citypaul1 View Post

Suffolk fee is $10 every five years. Nassau charges want it wants because the law states nassau county legislators can regulate the fees
                $10! Now I’m even more pissed off. I thought it was $20.

Comment

• rlitman
                  rlitman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are two different licensing agencies in suffolk.

I want to know where my 5 cents for bags go especially since stores are using biodegradable paper bags and paying for it..

Comment

• rlitman
                  rlitman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The same place as the 5 cent deposit for aluminum cans; in the stores' pockets.
              Working...
              X