Securing Machinery Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing Machinery Outdoors

I have a generator which served me well during Super Storm Sandy.

Prior to Sandy I heard “urban legends” that thieves will use inexpensive lawnmowers to steal generators at night.

Supposedly, they will leave a running lawnmower at the scene, so that the homeowner is fooled into thinking that the sound of the lawnmower is the sound of their generator.

The legend may not be true. However, I wanted to better ensure that my generator would not be stolen at night, when it was being used solely to fuel the water heater.

At the time I could not find anything satisfactory this side of the Atlantic. Therefore, I looked to the U.K., where they have a greater reliance upon motorcycles, and thus a greater motorcycle theft rate.

I purchased an “Oxford Terra Force Ground Anchor”, an “Untouchable Security Chain”, and an “Untouchable Disc Lock” (see attached photos).

The quality of these items seems top notch.

Of course, anything can be compromised if you have the tools and the time. However, this set-up will discourage anyone who wants to quickly get in and out.

I paid £54.99 for the ground anchor,£126.96 ($198.08) for the chain, and £42.99 ($67.07) for the lock.

You can now buy these items in the U.S. (see below), but they are much more expensive than I paid. Therefore, you may get a better deal if you try to purchase them in the U.K.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Terra-G...+Ground+Anchor

http://www.amazon.com/PJB-Untouchabl...Security+Chain

41IWkEbc2yL__SL1000_.jpg 41i2iQhIdNL.jpg 31Ie11kqxCL.jpg

I have a cousin who chained his corvette to his driveway with a pole and loop he mounted in the cement.
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

I forgot to add that you have to use something "sticky" to keep the ground anchor in place. I forgot if I used very messy mud or cement. Either way it worked for me.

Comment

Solid principle but at only 13" I'd either fabricate something or find an anchor that goes deeper. A hook and a trainer hitch might yank (see what I did) that thing out pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
          Solid principle but at only 13" I'd either fabricate something or find an anchor that goes deeper. A hook and a trainer hitch might yank (see what I did) that thing out pretty easily.
          You are right. I bought the best which was available at that time.

However, the generator, when in use, is in my backyard. Therefore, any potential thief has limited resources due to space constraints.

Hopefully, my dogs will wake me up before any thief gets very far.

Comment

Locks keep honest people honest.

To be frank your dogs will probably be more helpful in keeping your stuff there than anything you can install or construct.
            The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

You are right.

Unfortunately for me, they spend a lot of their time barking at squirrels, raccoons, possum, birds, rats, other dogs, etc.

I generally ignore their barking unless it hits a certain pitch/intensity, which tells me they think something is seriously wrong.

Sometimes, they are right. Sometimes, they are wrong.

Last edited by SimpleMan; 05-21-2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

During Sandy I just slung a 12g over my shoulder on the night perimeter patrol. Genie was there in the morning. 👍

Comment

Personal I don't run my Genny when sleeping 1) for piece of mind 2) out of respect of the neighbor's but I still don't get the lawnmower thing ... Ok you hear something running but don't you notice the power go out ? I don't live paranoid just not my way ... But if you want make a pungi stick pit
                  There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

The post in concrete in a driveway was pretty common in NYC 5 boroughs in 80-90's. Im sure it was a deterent to a large extent. Might be just the thing you need. Ive never heard about the lawnmower thing,ever. One would think with no power,you'd notice it.
                    Last edited by Surfer21; 05-22-2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southshorerob View Post
                      Personal I don't run my Genny when sleeping 1) for piece of mind 2) out of respect of the neighbor's but I still don't get the lawnmower thing ... Ok you hear something running but don't you notice the power go out ? I don't live paranoid just not my way ... But if you want make a pungi stick pit
                      My neighbors don't mind my generator running at night because they are also plugged into it. It is the neighborly thing to do, and also prevents generator envy.

Comment

Working...
                      X