X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity

Hello all....

It is humid as heck today.

What at is an acceptable humidity level inside a safe? I have a non-fireproof safe (Stack on) and using a dehumidifier in the room it is in the temperature in the safe (I have a digital hygrometer inside it) is about 80 with humidity at 42% on average. I also have some silicon bead cans is there as well as a stack on rechargeable silica bead device.

Am I ok or should I panic?

Thanks.
    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

You are fine. 30-40% is good. Any lower and your wood stocks might have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
      You are fine. 30-40% is good. Any lower and your wood stocks might have a problem.
      Thank you!

is the temperature ok? My dehumidifier tends to make the room warm.... About 80 degrees, maybe 82 tops.

Thanks again....

Comment

Few other tips.

-Don't go too low as pointed out wood and leather (slings, etc.) can become brittle going too low RH (constantly under 30).

-When you first get a safe, keep the door open and acclimate it to the RH of the room (use a dehumidifier in the room). The sheetrock in it contains moisture and if you just close the door it will release some of the initial moisture inside while the rooms RH will be lower.

-Golden rods and such devices are essentially heaters and work on convection. I would advise using a dehumifier in the room/area, and adding dessicant or a plug in dessicant device in the actual safe.

40-50% would be fine RH for a gun area. Yes, dehumidifiers will pump out heat in the area, nothing you can do about that really (in my experience dehumidifying portable air conditioners especially evaporative do not work close to as well).

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice and for putting my mind at ease.... :-)

Comment

Was about to ask this question...thank gosh for a search button...thanks for the information on this post helped with my question...

Comment

My "room" is up to around 60% w/ dehumidifier on 24/7 and not dropping (seems to be catching some moisture/ water in the bucket, but never gets full)....hmmmm, maybe time for a new de-humidifier.....Last year it was holding steady at 50ish%

Comment

My safe stays around 55% with the room about 10% higher. I'll have to start monitoring numbers more closely once I move.
                NRA Pistol Instructor
                Life Member:
                Gun Owners of America, American Suppressor Association,
                National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation

Comment

The area outside my cabinet has been 39% - 41% with a dehumidifier running constantly.

I have my new Goldenrod in one and rechargeable Stack-on dessicants in the others.

The Goldenrod is hot to the touch, but doesn't make anything nearby too hot. It is warming up the air in the cabinet slightly.
                  Last edited by Range Time; 07-09-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
                    ...The Goldenrod is not to the touch, but doesn't make anything nearby too hot. It is warming up the air in the cabinet slightly.
                    That is usually all it takes to prevent condensation.

Comment

I put Damp - Rid Cups in my safes. I change them out when they start to collect a little water. Usually 2 months in the summer. They can go 4-5 months in the winter.

Comment

I run a dehumidifier from May until September in the basement, and have a re-chargeable desiccant container in the safe. A thin layer of oil on the guns I don't use frequently doesn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
                          I put Damp - Rid Cups in my safes. I change them out when they start to collect a little water. Usually 2 months in the summer. They can go 4-5 months in the winter.
                          be carefull with those , they use a salt base unit to absorb moister , i believe so check it out and let us know

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post

be carefull with those , they use a salt base unit to absorb moister , i believe so check it out and let us know
                            Yeah it says it dissolves into a salt brine. I've always dumped it and rinsed it out when about 1/4" of moisture is collected. The water is contained under the chips.
                            I've been using them for 25 years with no problems at all. I do wipe my guns down often too. So far no worries. If I was going to store the guns long term I wouldnt keep them in there.
                            Thanks for the heads up👍

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post
                              My "room" is up to around 60% w/ dehumidifier on 24/7 and not dropping (seems to be catching some moisture/ water in the bucket, but never gets full)....hmmmm, maybe time for a new de-humidifier.....Last year it was holding steady at 50ish%
                              They’re intentionally made like shit. Planned obsolescence. I always get the warranties at PCRichard because every 2 years, they get replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X