Moving Safes into basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turfman81 View Post

What are they and how do they work? I have to move my safe to my MIL and have to go down wooden stairs that don’t look to heavy duty
    Cut 2x4 or 2x6 to length to go from the basement floor to the sides of the staircase. You can match the angle and have them directly underneath, toe nail them and nail a cleat above to keep them from slipping, orscrew them into the sides
    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Whatever you do make sure someone is making a video of this event. Just in case. And post it here.
      Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
        On weight, my 36 +6 safe weighs I think 600 lbs. minus the door, 500 max? I barely had room on either side to even get it through the doorway. Not sure how much bigger of a safe you are trying to move. While awkward and cumbersome, is there really a danger of that weight exceeding the staircases rated capacity?
        Normal staircases are rated for about half a ton. A big safe plus 2-3 guys is pushing the limits.

The free-floating basement stairs that are only mounted to a single joist up top are the ones to be concerned about.

Comment

This thread confuses me. Why don't you just pick it up and put it where you want to?

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
            This thread confuses me. Why don't you just pick it up and put it where you want to?
            because we aren't Ivan Putski ?

Comment

We decided to pay to move them into the basement; thanks Dan for the referral, Vic is great πŸ‘
              Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                We decided to pay to move them into the basement; thanks Dan for the referral, Vic is great πŸ‘
                Vic is the man when it comes to safes. He moved ours into our last house 20 years ago, then moved it into our new house 6 years ago. All I did was brace the stairs.
                Worth every penny..............

Comment

I was going to recommend - dig a hole, pour foundation, and then build a new house around the safe.

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post
                    I was going to recommend - dig a hole, pour foundation, and then build a new house around the safe.
                    cut a hole in the floor around it ?

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Cut 2x4 or 2x6 to length to go from the basement floor to the sides of the staircase. You can match the angle and have them directly underneath, toe nail them and nail a cleat above to keep them from slipping, orscrew them into the sides
                      More importantly, put them under the stairs themselves. Stair treads are dado'd into the stringers and are only held in by about 3/4" at the most. That is the weak link.

Comment

Working...
                      X